The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Charlie's Angel today, and even my thirst couldn't stop me feeling like something is missing.

I think I know what was missing

Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Lu.

They were in the movie, but that's not it.

It just didn't feel fun? Not enough action? I dunno, but Banks blaming misogyny is stupid given how many successful women-led action movies we've had.

I think studios havent caught onto the fact that remakes dont immediately mean success. For the most part its only comic book movies, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, 007, and Mission Impossible that can endure as these endless franchises for the time being. Nobody cares about this other shit. Nobody was clamoring for more Charlies Angels, or Chips, or some shit. The time to strike for that was almost 20 years ago. Nostalgia functions on a 20 year cycle typically.

Problem is original movies don't get half the marketing and promotion that they deserve and as a result many studios just go after the sure-fire cash grabbers, which, just as with video games, will not do anything for long-term benefits.

It's ironic that many movies try to follow the MCU "formula", when it comes to humor, character arcs and general movie structure, without understanding that everybody can see through that. The best movies are those that follow their own vision and are original work or at best remakes of very very old work. And even then there is a need for a original direction.

One of my favorite movies of the past decade has been "The Witch" ... and I only learned about what the movie was actually about thanks to the YT channel Dead Meat reviewing it. The initial marketing promised a completely different movie, which I think is the sole reason why it's overlooked as an example of how a well made horror movie could be.

Instead we get Saw sequels, saw knock-offs and remakes of classic horror titles every year, despite all those movies starting out with minimum financial backings and a creative mind behind it.

I think it also says alot that most remakes and pointless sequels are usually less well recieved than the originals

I loved the Witch. Im really glad A24 has been over to crossover into the mainstream as a studio because they consistently produce not only original movies, but typically ones of high quality as well. I think people just like reliability. I think its part of why Marvel does so well. Sure Im not that into them, but I think generally everybody agrees they can go into a Marvel movie knowing it will at least be decent. A24 has that going for it too.

I think studios havent caught onto the fact that remakes dont immediately mean success. For the most part its only comic book movies, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, 007, and Mission Impossible that can endure as these endless franchises for the time being. Nobody cares about this other shit. Nobody was clamoring for more Charlies Angels, or Chips, or some shit. The time to strike for that was almost 20 years ago. Nostalgia functions on a 20 year cycle typically.

I'd agree but 21 jump street proves other wise. I think some of these other films try to fit a mold that it's not, rather then sticking true to itself

I would argue that 21 Jump Street is not much of a brand name. I don't think many people who saw the film saw it for its association to the late '80s TV series. My guess is that most went to see it because of its two lead stars and its funny premise.

I would say Charlie's Angels brand value is in a very weakened state -- even prior to this new one's release. There's been so much mediocrity associated with that franchise that I think people chose not to give this one a chance. No one was craving for a 3rd reboot.

I think the problem seems to be that remakes like Charlie's Angels and Chips aren't as fun, but I haven't watched Chips so I don't know. If you watch Star Wars, Mission Impossible, or 007, you're gonna have fun and be invested for one reason or another, and it's not just because of nostalgia. Charlie's Angels just didn't provide that sort of fun, and it didn't really seem like it was worth investing in. Same with the Power Rangers remake (which I liked), it lacked action that fans were used to seeing in the shows.

Was the original Chips a comedy show? Because the movie trailer shows that it focuses purely on comedy, and I feel like that's not what the original was about. What about Charlie's Angels? Was it popular because it was a fun action show or was it popular because of its three attractive leads?

Also doesn't help when remakes/reboots change the original. Fourth Indiana Jones was criticized for being about aliens instead of continuing with religion, no? If Star Wars changed from space opera action adventure to just romantic adventure, then it'd tank as well. Plus, with reboots like POwer Rangers, the studios have to take under consideration the nostalgia factor and expectations as well, like wanting more fighting in Ranger suits.

I would argue that 21 Jump Street is not much of a brand name. I don't think many people who saw the film saw it for its association to the late '80s TV series. My guess is that most went to see it because of its two lead stars and its funny premise.

I would say Charlie's Angels brand value is in a very weakened state -- even prior to this new one's release. There's been so much mediocrity associated with that franchise that I think people chose not to give this one a chance. No one was craving for a 3rd reboot.

Yeah, I didn't even know it was based off a show originally until way later. Saw it because it looked funny (and was).

Third reboot? The only other reboot I can think of was the series with Cameron, Lucy, and Drew.

Rented Peanut Butter Falcon on Amazon prime. Well worth the $5.99 or whatever it was. Watched it with my mom...because, her brother/my uncle had down syndrome and passed away many years ago. I thought it would be nice for her...and she loved it. Plus, the wrestling storyline. Popped for a few cameos. It was a great movie. I always liked Shia Labeouf too. Guy just strikes me as one of the realest dudes in film.

Edited by Generations

well look at that new horror movie Fantasy Island. its a reboot/remake of an 70's/80's tv series. the series was a drama with mixture of moral value. it seems like they are going to market it through nostalgia which i think is a bad idea.

• 1 month later...