The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Us was fantastic. Im really happy a movie like this can come out in theaters and, as it seems, is on track to being really successful. I just appreciate something that lets you reach conclusions on your own. Also I never saw Get Out, but Jordan Peele has such an eye for striking visuals. I could see so many of the images in this go on to be iconic if this movie does well. Its insane the guy I used to watch on Mad TV as a kid is writing and directing bangers like this.

Also Lupita is gives a *censored*ing performance in this one, shes a superstar.

I'm going to see Dumbo on Saturday with a friend, in a theater that has something called D Box

I don't know if this goes into the other thread or not (my apologies) but I saw Aquaman, wasn't anything special. And Amber Heard's bad acting stuck out like sore thumb at times (mainly when she had a line or had to use her facial expressions to convey any emotions)

I watched Rock n Roll High School for the first time over the weekend. What a fun movie. Gotta love Joe Dante. And the concept of Clint Howard coaching the quarerback on sex is such delightful absurdity. Also I cant see that movie working with any band other than the Ramones. The movie totally just reflects the same frantic energy the Ramones had. It stands on its own by having nonstop, home run gags, but also just works perfectly as a Ramones vehicle.

Also watched the Burbs for the first time, another Joe Dante one. Some really golden moments, but I think those moments are better than the sum of its parts. Good social satire on normie culture for the most part, but the ending seemed to cheapen it a little.

Edited by sam the d00d

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So instead of seeing endgame like everyone else I saw High Life a sci fi story with Robert Pattinson as the lead. The acting was great, it clearly had the budget of the first star wars film for special effects. Story was different but I don't know if I completely liked. It's really kinda weird and you learn very little about the characters themselves.

I never count James Cameron out. I dont think about Avatar much, but Ill likely check them out. I have a lot of respect for Cameron. The cool thing about Camerons sequels is they tend to do something completely new with a property. Aliens obviously took the concepts from the its predecessor, but Cameron still made it completely his own and made something totally fresh. And hes proven to do this with his own creations as well with Terminator. My expectation is that the new Avatar movies will feature Pandora and the same alien races, but with a completely different kind of movie from the original. And I think also Im missing something auteur driven in blockbuster cinema right now where everythings pretty brand driven and corporate. Avatar is a world that James created everything about. I have the same sort of feeling David Lynch had when he was offered Return of the Jedi, but turned it down and suggested George direct it himself. The fact that theres this movie coming out completely from this one guys imagination is intruiging to me.

Anyway, I got a Criterion Channel subscription. Loving the service thus far. Ive watched like 5 or 6 movies totally blind and Ive liked all of them and even loved a few. Standouts Ive watched at Jim Jarmuschs film Permanent Vacation; Charles Burnetts film My Brothers Wedding; and Claudia Weills Girlfriends. Girlfriends has pretty much almost exactly the same plot on paper as one of my favorite films of all time Frances Ha, but came put like 35 years before Frances Ha. It was just delightful, love a good movie about friendship. Im just really loving this service thus far I havent even touched Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon in a week.

Also watched Yasujiro Ozos Good Morning. Didnt go in blind to that one, but loved it as much as I expected I would.

I think he said hes feeling superhero fatigue or something along those lines. Which Ive been feeling too, so I get it. I dont think he hates the genre as a whole. He was one of the first guys to really try to get a Spider-Man movie off the ground, and Alita was a huge passion project of his and that was based on a manga.