The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

I didn't see it myself but Merida from Brave prolly fits that a bit better. Mulan is a "Disney Princess" but isn't actually a princess at all.

But yeah, I'm all for shaking the game up a bit. Retreading old territory is hit or miss with movies like this but it's like they're aiming at everything that made the original great and just keeping the base premise of "girl plays guy in army"

I thought she married in the second film? I also notice Kida should be considered a Disney Princess but she's not

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rapunzel, beast with the frying pan.

But na, Mulan married Shang in the second movie. He's no Prince, just a general.

As for Kida, you only get princess status if your movie rolls in the dough. No moolah, no crown. MatPat had an interesting Film Theory about qualifications for Disney Princesses

Mulan was no princess and that was the entire point. Mulan was a *censored*ing G that cannot be denied.

Also the new Jungle Book was ace, but I'm generally not a fan of all these remakes. Shows how stifled the film industry is in terms of creativity and freedom.

Freedom yes, but creativity no. Film makers are as creative as ever, but unique movies do not sell as many tickets as the big branded ones (the ones that are usually remakes and reboots and re-imaginings.) So therefor Hollywood only pushes to make those. If a paper company has one product that sold more than others then it stands to reason that they would push that product on their clients and customers. Same thing the Hollywood studios and producers are doing.

There are awesome and unique films that come out yearly, but they are not nearly marketed as much as Marvel, Star Wars, the horror remakes, Transformers and whatever garbage The Rock is doing. Movies like I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, Tangerine, Green Room, Arrival, John Wick, Sicario, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Crazy Rich Asians, A Quiet Place, Moonlight, BlackkKlansman. I could go on, but these are all unique IP's that have come out in recent years that are all solid to great movies. People will never stop being creative.

Edited by Creepia

Mulan was no princess and that was the entire point. Mulan was a *censored*ing G that cannot be denied.

Also the new Jungle Book was ace, but I'm generally not a fan of all these remakes. Shows how stifled the film industry is in terms of creativity and freedom.

to be fair, it's not as easy to stay fresh and creative when the movie-making business has been running for over a century. That aside, there's still creativity, and as Creep said, it's just harder to find such movies because studios will spend more on guaranteed moneymakers or movies with big names behind them.

And as someone said, art and commerce are in the end incompatible.

Anybody looking forward to Holms and Watson? From the previews, it looks pretty good. Plus, a certain Monster Among Men makes cameo appearance.

Don't think I can handle Will Ferrell raping Sherlock Holmes.

Ralph Breaks the Internet was pretty fun, I enjoyed it.

I like it, it just falls short of being as good as the first. Also did stick around for The Frozen 2 trailer at the end?

I did not, I wasn't even aware of it. Left halfway through, but it's not like I like Frozen much, so no prob.

Felt like that too, but I liked Shank, she seemed badass.

I'm not gonna watch Holmes and Watson. I don't find Will Ferrell funny, and they'd probably be over the top as usual with Watson and Holmes.

Anybody looking forward to Holms and Watson? From the previews, it looks pretty good. Plus, a certain Monster Among Men makes cameo appearance.

Don't think I can handle Will Ferrell raping Sherlock Holmes.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't think I could stand watching Will Ferrell make a mockery of Sherlock Holmes. Plus, it wouldn't be a good way to spend Christmas day.

I like it, it just falls short of being as good as the first. Also did stick around for The Frozen 2 trailer at the end?

I did not, I wasn't even aware of it. Left halfway through, but it's not like I like Frozen much, so no prob.

I'm not gonna watch Holmes and Watson. I don't find Will Ferrell funny, and they'd probably be over the top as usual with Watson and Holmes.

It's a joke they act like their going to play a Frozen 2 trailer, instead it's ralph singing never gonna give you up. I did love Shank also loved the Disney Princess involvement

I have no interest in seeing Holmes and Watson

Edited by Scott Eastwood

The original Holmes and Watson were pretty over the top. Holmes was cocky as all hell. Robert Downey Jr's portrayal in those Guy Ritchie movies is rather accurate.

The original Holmes and Watson were pretty over the top. Holmes was cocky as all hell. Robert Downey Jr's portrayal in those Guy Ritchie movies is rather accurate.

My problem is with Reilly and Ferrell's brand of comedy. I find it way too over the top, and the trailer confirms my fear.

I think both of them are great. John C. Reilly has a lot more range and is maybe my favorite actor currently, but most Will Ferrell movies Ive seen hes been hilarious in. I mean I even liked Anchorman 2, which for some reason is a hot take I guess.

Edited by sam the d00d