The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

Watching It's a Wonderful Life in color, and it's ugly. Colorizing black and white movies is a bad idea, it takes away the magic and changes the mood and setting too much. Though maybe I might change my tune if the colorization was done pretty well.

Colorization = 👎

If it wasn't conceived in color when the film was originally made then it shouldn't be altered to have color, especially if the director and cinematographer have no involvement in the process.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching It's a Wonderful Life in color, and it's ugly. Colorizing black and white movies is a bad idea, it takes away the magic and changes the mood and setting too much. Though maybe I might change my tune if the colorization was done pretty well.

Colorization = 👎

If it wasn't conceived in color when the film was originally made then it shouldn't be altered to have color, especially if the director and cinematographer have no involvement in the process.

Agreed. Cinematography is likely even more challenging for black and white movies, and it goes hand-in-hand with the movie usually. Film noir, gangster movies, and even drama movies like Citizen Kane should never be colorized.

so theres plans of a Knight Rider movie. the horrific news... The Weinstein Co. behind the project is eyeing John Cena as Michael Knight and Kevin Hart as the voice of K.I.T.T.

kill it. kill it now.

Well at least it's not the Rock and Kevin Hart again. I wish if they are gonna make a movie based on a classic TV show they don't make it a comedy, even if the show was cheesy.

its a shame that King Arthur failed so badly. i've always been interested with the Arthur/Excalibur mythology. i hope K.A doesn't scare Hollywood from making other Arthur/Excalibur movies in the future. maybe they should read more of the mythology books. or sit and watch John Boorman's Excalibur from 1981. that movie was pure gold.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is there another Tomb Raider movie? I.thought we were over this

It's not "another"...it's a reboot. It goes with the latest games, which were great...and it already looks better than anything that Angelina Jolie had a hand in.

This.

But then the problem becomes, will it translate well? Not been many, if any good video game movies. Its not like Tomb Raider is some long drawn out shlog of a franchise. It had 2 crappy movies 15 years ago and now they're trying it again.

Which is a good thing.

People like to complain about reboots by saying the original is good enough. In a case like this, the original sucked so there is literally no reason not to try again.

No need to be sour, WNX. Sure, it doesn't always work out with the latest Hitman being a fine example of that but there is certainly no harm in trying.

Tomb Raider's a cool property, there's a lot to do with it on the big screen. It could run the risk of being an Indy Jones clone, but the latest games managed to reboot the franchise in an awesome way and this new movie could follow that same route.

The trailer has a certain "flatness" to it...and a lot of rather poor looking cgi. But I still think it looks good.

Really, I'm just excited to see any TR movie without Angelina Jolie. I think it looks fun. I don't expect it to be a masterpiece or anything. But, yeah...the cgi looks pretty bad here. No crispness to it...looks very transparent and void of any weight. You have a big tree branch snapping off...a plane wing that's collapsing while she's running...and none of it seems to have any real "weight" to it. Otherwise, I'm giving it the full benefit of the doubt to be a decent movie.

Edited by Generations

Fighting games should just.never be touched by Hollywood period, at least the tournament style ones. Assassin's Fist is the closet you'll ever get to good live action SF

And some properties are cinematic enough as games to.ever require a live action movie. The minute TR's reboot dropped, it negated the need for another movie, let alone a movie based off that game. Just seems pointless to me. I want it to be the one that breaks the mold, but.I think we all know it won't

Dunno, Street Fighter could be good with Ryu and/or Ken as the main character. Maybe they can do two parts, one with Bison as the main villain and the sequel with Akuma as the main villain. Besides, aren't there comics or mangas based on the game anyway? they can go with that if the games itself would make the movies too long.

There's nothing inherently wrong with video game fighting movies...they've just been made like shit in the past.

Hell, I would love a Streets of Rage movie that plays out like The Warriors...just two or three main characters...they need to get from one end of the city to the other...but they keep getting cut off by bad guys. I think that would be pretty swell. Cast some proper fighters...have them do proper stunts. Why not? Sounds like a joy to me. On that note, The Warriors kinda was a video game movie before the genre existed. There was a very linear "level-based" feel to the progression of that movie. It might as well have been Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Splatterhouse, etc. Any of those games could easily work under a 'Warriors' driven direction.

And as for the tournament style fighting games...I don't think there's any reason why they should be held back either. If a movie like WCW Ready to Rumble can not only exist, but succeed in being pretty fun to watch...then I think something like a Tekken movie could do the same.

Edited by Generations