The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in my head? Nah. That's a pretentious statement, and you know it.

All I'm saying is that a movie like John Wick never needed a sequel. It was a proper standalone classic, and those are hard to come by these days. I never said that JW2 was bad, just that it never needed to be a thing. I was happier having John Wick as a classic standalone film. I wasn't greedy for a sequel. Greed ruins good things. Maybe 2 was good...but maybe 3 won't be...maybe 4 and 5 will suck entirely. Maybe they keep pumping them out, because there's no limit now. Should have just left a standalone classic on its own.

If a sequel is worse than the original, then it leaves a bad taste in ruining the direction of the franchise. If a sequel is better than the original, then it makes people forget about the original (Such is the case with something like Terminator). How many people really go back and watch the original Terminator, and reminisce about that movie? Everyone loves T2 because it upstaged the original. It's a dangerous territory with creating sequels for movies that were already great.

The original Jaws? Great movie. All of the sequels...trash, trash, and more trash. And the franchise as a whole definitely has a sour perception as a result. Of course people still love the classic Jaws. But it would be better if it wasn't plagued by a laundry list of terrible sequels. If they just let it be a standalone movie.

Sequel was great and thoroughly entertaining. And I'm sure Terminator still gets reminisced fondly.

^ Yes by me! I prefer the first Terminator by a wide margin. I don't fancy the style and scope of T2 as much as I do for the first one. I feel the same way towards Aliens; I prefer the direction of Alien way more. In fact, I rarely watch Cameron's sequel.

Sequels can become somewhat problematic when they attempt to retcon a prior work. For example, how many of you consider Michael Myers and Laurie Strode to be brother and sister? Probably most of you. But when Halloween was originally conceived that wasn't the case. In the original film, there was no sibling relationship. Myers was an escape mental patient returning to his old neighborhood targeting a random babysitter and her friends. In Halloween II Carpenter changes that by introducing the sibling revelation -- and in doing so, our perception of the first film is altered. We go from a killer with a lack motivation who causes random terror to a group of teenagers to a brother who has unresolved family issues. That's quite an alteration -- an alteration that I'm not fond of because it dilutes the inhuman character that Carpenter originally crafted so beautifully.

Luckily though, Respect the Beard is right: you can separate a film from its sequels. Even though I'm aware of all the baggage the sequels have piled onto Carpenter's original vision, I'm able to push all of it aside when I watch his film. It can be tough, especially when they retcon. But it's possible.

Hell people don't even know that Jason in his hockey mask wasn't even in the original Friday the 13th movie. That goes with the idea that some sequels make people forget or misremember the original movies.

Remakes also don't cheapen original movies IMO. Total Recall and Robocop aren't any less of a movie just because their remakes were lame.

Edited by Creep.

Kong: Skull Island was a pretty good movie. CGI was done pretty well, to boot. Wonder if we'll see Kong brought to NYC in the sequel or something....

Well Kong and Godzilla have to fight somewhere

Kong: Skull Island was a pretty good movie. CGI was done pretty well, to boot. Wonder if we'll see Kong brought to NYC in the sequel or something....

was happy they went a other way then the typical original that was done to death since 1933 and I liked the movie a lot too.

However, they should not come up with a Sequel in my opinion cause the movie had a good closure and a Sequel is not needed at all.

I don't know if the movie was mentioned in previous pages since I didn't checked right now but I found Valerian to be a excellent movie and a must watch in 3D at the movies. :)

They recreated what was in the Comics in a great way and the movie itself is a great mix of all genres (well maybe not real Horror but everything else :P ).

Think it kind of hurts that I couldn't tell the characters apart. David and Walter were memorable but everyone else? Who the *Censored* were they? Generic main girl was generic and I liked Danny McBride...well, just because he is Danny McBride. I guess my point is...no character leaves an impression. There's no Ripley. Or even a Shaw.

I didn't have that problem at all. A few characters were definitely generic fodder, but you had some specific couplings going on...I thought at least 6 or 7 of the characters were prominent enough. I couldn't tell you their names off the top of my head, but I knew who everyone was in relation to each other. I thought that was straight forward. Didn't think the main character was generic at all. Fully got behind her through the course of the movie.

Even have a slight inclination that she will somehow return in the next one, to become a Ripley-esque badass on a proper ship full of aliens. At least, that's the direction I would go with the follow-up. Just her...on the ship full of aliens. No other characters. Full nightmare scenario. Maybe the aliens that David makes turn on him, shit goes south, the pods open, etc. I would have her as that returning role, though. I feel like it was intentional to keep her from going there yet.

I think that the ship leads to the colony Alien 2 was based on but I'm not sure.

However, if you compare the movies I think that's where it might connect.

That means of course that everyone except of Rebecca is dead and that they would have to explain how David got destroyed.

It could also be the case that the next movie is the Connection between covenant and Alien 2 then to give us answers about what happened to the Crew, colony People, how everyone got infected through david, how he got destroyed, leading to Rebeccas survival before Ripley and the others arrive (which we wouldn't see anymore then since it was already done in the past).

Edited by Saturi

Well Kong and Godzilla have to fight somewhere

Doesn't have to be NYC, and I was thinking of something similar to the original movies where Kong goes for the girl. Though in the reboot sequel, he doesn't get killed or isn't really dead, somehow.

was happy they went a other way then the typical original that was done to death since 1933 and I liked the movie a lot too.

However, they should not come up with a Sequel in my opinion cause the movie had a good closure and a Sequel is not needed at all.

I don't know if the movie was mentioned in previous pages since I didn't checked right now but I found Valerian to be a excellent movie and a must watch in 3D at the movies. :)

They recreated what was in the Comics in a great way and the movie itself is a great mix of all genres (well maybe not real Horror but everything else :P ).

Think it kind of hurts that I couldn't tell the characters apart. David and Walter were memorable but everyone else? Who the *Censored* were they? Generic main girl was generic and I liked Danny McBride...well, just because he is Danny McBride. I guess my point is...no character leaves an impression. There's no Ripley. Or even a Shaw.

I didn't have that problem at all. A few characters were definitely generic fodder, but you had some specific couplings going on...I thought at least 6 or 7 of the characters were prominent enough. I couldn't tell you their names off the top of my head, but I knew who everyone was in relation to each other. I thought that was straight forward. Didn't think the main character was generic at all. Fully got behind her through the course of the movie.

Even have a slight inclination that she will somehow return in the next one, to become a Ripley-esque badass on a proper ship full of aliens. At least, that's the direction I would go with the follow-up. Just her...on the ship full of aliens. No other characters. Full nightmare scenario. Maybe the aliens that David makes turn on him, shit goes south, the pods open, etc. I would have her as that returning role, though. I feel like it was intentional to keep her from going there yet.

I think that the ship leads to the colony Alien 2 was based on but I'm not sure.

However, if you compare the movies I think that's where it might connect.

That means of course that everyone except of Rebecca is dead and that they would have to explain how David got destroyed.

It could also be the case that the next movie is the Connection between covenant and Alien 2 then to give us answers about what happened to the Crew, colony People, how everyone got infected through david, how he got destroyed, leading to Rebeccas survival before Ripley and the others arrive (which we wouldn't see anymore then since it was already done in the past).

eh, don't mind the sequel. The movie is part of a universe anyway, with Godzilla. Maybe we'll at one point see them fight together instead of each other

@Saturi

You understand that Skull Island was made with the purpose of adding to a universe, right? That means sequels.

Godzilla VS King Kong has already been announced.

Yeah I thought so but didn't knew that Godzilla vs King Kong were announced and in my opinion the skull Island had a good closure into it by the survivors not want to mention anything about him to prevent others from going to the Island and such.

It sounds and it also will probably be kinda cheesy if the memories of the tons of godzilla hong kong movies from the past come up. :P

To be honest though I liked the newest Godzilla Movie from 2014 the most cause it had a more serious tone to it and cgiwise it looked great too.

Just wondering how they will connect it given the kong is on his Island and the actual godzilla (movie from 2014) returned to the sea.

Hell people don't even know that Jason in his hockey mask wasn't even in the original Friday the 13th movie. That goes with the idea that some sequels make people forget or misremember the original movies.

And the same can be said for Friday the 13th: Part 2 & Part 5 (to a certain degree)...

Edited by NegativeCreep

And the same can be said for Friday the 13th: Part 2 & Part 5 (to a certain degree)...

What I mean is, Jason as a fully fledged main character and villain was not in the first one. He was a child and I think most people would be very surprised with that considering how huge Jason is in pop culture.

Jason in parts 2 and 5 was the Jason we've all come to know.

What I mean is, Jason as a fully fledged main character and villain was not in the first one. He was a child and I think most people would be very surprised with that considering how huge Jason is in pop culture.

Jason in parts 2 and 5 was the Jason we've all come to know.

I know exactly what you meant, I was only clarifying things just for the hell of it.

Part 2 - pillowcase mask, just like my current sig

Part 5 - the true Jason Voorhees was only seen during Tommy Jarvis' hallucinations

Just watched Hitman: Agent 47. Really enjoyed it, I think I prefer this one over the Timothy Olyphant one (which is still good), this one felt a lot tighter in terms of story, and Rupert Friend did a great job as 47. The action and set pieces were well done, and it generally seemed to be closer in basis to the videogames.

I just watched the live action Toy Story on youtube last night. Been around for 4 years, and apparently has over 17M views. But I never knew it existed. Unfortunately, I ended up staying awake till like 4:30 am to do so, because I didn't plan on watching it at all...but it's pretty damn fun. Haven't seen the real movie in a while, and watching the live action one was fun because I was genuinely remembering all the scenes as they happened, and having a fun time seeing how the director accomplished one scene or another. Yeah...just an unexpected treat. I love finding stuff like that.

Edited by Generations

I just watched the live action Toy Story on youtube last night. Been around for 4 years, and apparently has over 17M views. But I never knew it existed. Unfortunately, I ended up staying awake till like 4:30 am to do so, because I didn't plan on watching it at all...but it's pretty damn fun. Haven't seen the real movie in a while, and watching the live action one was fun because I was genuinely remembering all the scenes as they happened, and having a fun time seeing how the director accomplished one scene or another. Yeah...just an unexpected treat. I love finding stuff like that.

It's funny you mention Toy Story, I've not 10 minutes ago read it to my daughter at bedtime!!

Father of the Bride remake was pretty good, and I loved Steve's own interpretation of the character! Rare case of the original and remake being good, methinks?

Also, James Cagney will always be one of the best actors in Hollywood, for me.