The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Moonlight is typical oscar fare. Like, the movie is based on the directors life.

I'd say La La Land is typical oscar fare.

Nah. La La Land is far from it imo. I guess it depends on how you define Oscar fare though.

Eh, I kind of see Oscar fare/bait as pure dramas about super serious issues or the tough life of historical figures. The focus is usually on dishing out emotion and making audiences uncomfortable to make a point about the particular subject.

Not that I'm bashing movies like this but I find some of them boring. Like last year's winner. Spotlight.

Regardless, I did like Moonlight a lot and I had no clue it based on the director's life. The plot of Lion on the other hand sounds so dull to me.

I saw

La La Land

Manchester by the sea

Hacksaw Ridge

That Manchester one looks boring. Worth watching?

Edited by Respect The Beard

I don't think Moonlight is typical oscar fare. Like, the movie is based on the directors life.

I'd say La La Land is typical oscar fare.

Nah. La La Land is far from it imo. I guess it depends on how you define Oscar fare though.

Eh, I kind of see Oscar fare/bait as pure dramas about super serious issues or the tough life of historical figures. The focus is usually on dishing out emotion and making audiences uncomfortable to make a point about the particular subject.

Not that I'm bashing movies like this but I find some of them boring. Like last year's winner. Spotlight.

Regardless, I did like Moonlight a lot and I had no clue it based on the director's life. The plot of Lion on the other hand sounds so dull to me.

I saw

La La Land

Manchester by the sea

Hacksaw Ridge

That Manchester one looks boring. Worth watching?

Really boring

La La Land is typical oscar bait because it's a glitzy Hollywood movie that is a love letter to LA. And lords knows the old white men at the academy them some of that.

Edited by Creep.

When I think of Oscar bait, I think of safe, conventional films that lack a distinct authorial style and have big name stars mugging for the camera. Fences, Florence Foster Jenkins, and Hidden Figures come to mind. I don't think Moonlight quite fits the bill, though... but La La Land may.

Not to start a debate but I think that contradicts your definition. La La Land certainly has a distinct authorial style. I kept wondering if it was directed by the same dude who directed Whiplash and I'm like...yeah, when I seen Damien's name pop up.

It's conventional to an extent but also doesn't go the way I'd predict going in. The final ten minutes are a huge trip. Despite it making a lot of money, I don't know if I'd call a musical safe filmmaking but you're spot on about the big stars part.

I also agree about the other films you mentioned. I have no intention to watch those. Just saw Arrival...worth a watch.

Damien Chavelle or whatever his name is did both Whiplash and La La Land yeah.

A musical itself may not be a "safe" option which is probably why it's getting so many nominations this year, because it's a little different than usual, but the story itself it's very conventional. As I said Hollywood and the Academy love movies about the glitz and glam of Hollywood. It brings those old white dudes back to the golden age of Hollywood. The story is very safe even if the style in which they're telling that story isn't. It's the best of both words, hence the record breaking amount of nominations.

(Might not actually be record breaking, that was just for emphasis.)

Edited by Creep.

I think the story was told in an unconventional way and isn't as safe as say, a Nicholas Sparks love story. Sure, the story looks like conventional fluff based on a trailer but you may be surprised with how it goes.

The same can be said about Moonlight and Hell or High Water. Both conventional outlines for a story in a sense. One's a heist crime modern western and one's a coming-of-age about a boy struggling to find acceptance. You know where they're going, who is going to survive or if they'll end up with some sort of happiness at the end BUT the magic is in how unconventionally the story is filmed, structured and brought to life.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved Kubo & the Two Strings.

Such an underrated movie...and I hate that so many people don't realize how it was created...the kind of work that went into it...people seem to just think it's computer rendered. It's a masterpiece.

Edited by Generations

• 1 month later...

Loved Kubo & the Two Strings.

Such an underrated movie...and I hate that so many people don't realize how it was created...the kind of work that went into it...people seem to just think it's computer rendered. It's a masterpiece.

Agreed.

Has anybody seen Free Fire? Interesting premise (the entire movie is a shootout).

Lmao...I actually came in here specifically to post that I want to see 'Free Fire' and 'The Survivalist'. Both of those movies are on my radar right now. Funnily enough, I remember watching the trailer for 'Free Fire' a long time ago, thinking it looked pretty entertaining...and then forgetting about it entirely until some sponsored Facebook link reminded me about it a day or two ago...

Edited by Generations

I liked it. I passed out during the trailers (which I don't usually do in theaters) for 15 minutes and woke up right before the gunfight started. So it was hard to keep track of which character was on what side.

But yeah, if you enjoy Tarantino style movies, you'll probably like it. I think single setting movies are cool.

• 4 weeks later...