The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

Agreed on being unsure about Gilda. I mean, Rita was hot and all, but the film just didn't look that good.

I thought Bringing Up Baby was hit and miss with humor. You should watch The Philadelphia Story, it stars the two along with Jimmy Stewart. I personally enjoyed the movie more than Bringing Up Baby, tbh. I don't think I know why, all I can guess is that the people didn't find the movie as funny as it is now. Oddly though, I do like Bringing Up Baby.

You should add The Thin Man and After the Thin Man to your watch list as well. Oh, and Arsenic and Old Lace, Cary Grant does hilarious face contortions! His aunts are also funny as hell! I enjoyed the comedy. I'd also recommend The Talk of the Town if you're on a Cary Grant binge.

If you love Audrey Hepburn (who doesn't?), Two for the Road should be on your list. I don't think that movie has received as much attention due to her earlier movies like Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey is a fabulous actress, truth be told.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on being unsure about Gilda. I mean, Rita was hot and all, but the film just didn't look that good.

I thought Bringing Up Baby was hit and miss with humor. You should watch The Philadelphia Story, it stars the two along with Jimmy Stewart. I personally enjoyed the movie more than Bringing Up Baby, tbh. I don't think I know why, all I can guess is that the people didn't find the movie as funny as it is now. Oddly though, I do like Bringing Up Baby.

You should add The Thin Man and After the Thin Man to your watch list as well. Oh, and Arsenic and Old Lace, Cary Grant does hilarious face contortions! His aunts are also funny as hell! I enjoyed the comedy. I'd also recommend The Talk of the Town if you're on a Cary Grant binge.

If you love Audrey Hepburn (who doesn't?), Two for the Road should be on your list. I don't think that movie has received as much attention due to her earlier movies like Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey is a fabulous actress, truth be told.

Philadelphia Story is the film that I saw all of the three main stars for the first time which says a lot because that means I hadn't seen Vertigo, Rear Window or North by Northwest up until this year. Yikes :< I absolutely love PS though (OH C.K. DEXTER HAVENNNNNNNNN! :lol:) and would put it up there as one of my top three films of all time (Shawshank Redemption and Casablanca being the other two though The Godfather is pushing that top three). I'm still pissed Tracy didn't end up with Mike though I guess it makes sense that she got with Dexter again.

I'll add both Thin Man films and TTotT to my watch list. Any others? You've just reminded me I've got Arsenic and Old Lace sitting there waiting for me to watch!

Not heard of Two for the Road but I'll keep an eye out for it. While on the subject of Audrey, have you seen How to Steal A Million? If so, what did you think? I've still got Roman Holiday to watch too thinking about it :o

Philadelphia Story is the film that I saw all of the three main stars for the first time which says a lot because that means I hadn't seen Vertigo, Rear Window or North by Northwest up until this year. Yikes :< I absolutely love PS though (OH C.K. DEXTER HAVENNNNNNNNN! :lol:) and would put it up there as one of my top three films of all time (Shawshank Redemption and Casablanca being the other two though The Godfather is pushing that top three). I'm still pissed Tracy didn't end up with Mike though I guess it makes sense that she got with Dexter again.

I'll add both Thin Man films and TTotT to my watch list. Any others? You've just reminded me I've got Arsenic and Old Lace sitting there waiting for me to watch!

Not heard of Two for the Road but I'll keep an eye out for it. While on the subject of Audrey, have you seen How to Steal A Million? If so, what did you think? I've still got Roman Holiday to watch too thinking about it :o

same, I dunno why Tracy didn't end up with Mike. Guess a lot of Katharine-Cary movies start out as couples divorcing and then getting married again, according to Wiki. Weird because Bringing Up Baby is an exception as far as I know.

If you like Carole Lombard, 20th Century (with John Barrymore) and My Man, Godfrey with William Powell, although I dislike her in those two roles. The latter was a pretty good comedy thanks to William Powell. You'll love The Thin Man though, Myrna Loy and William Powell are amazing as comedic married couples! Though, the series gets tired and repetitive after the second movie. Jimmy Stewart did a great job in the second movie too.

Have you seen It's a Wonderful Life? It didn't do well at the box office, which is strange because the movie IMO was great. Feel-good movie.

Yeah, I loved How to Steal a Million, Audrey was hot and Peter was charismatic. Funny movie, and the actor that played Audrey's dad was fun and jolly to watch. I'd actually have loved to see how she got along with Paul Newman though. Two for the Road is British comedy, so that should be up your alley! :lol:

I don't think I've seen that, but I could be wrong. :s

Oh, and Gene Kelly's movies, or most of them anyway. The ones I've seen, I've enjoyed or loved, especially Three Musketeers and Singin' in the Rain. Gene Kelly is IMO the best dancer that Hollywood has ever seen, and according to Wiki, Cyd Charisse agrees (she danced with Fred Astaire as well). I wanna watch Anchors Aweigh but for some reason my library or its branches don't carry it.

Errol Flynn's swashbucklers are pretty fun too, my favorite being The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Have you seen It's a Wonderful Life? It didn't do well at the box office, which is strange because the movie IMO was great. Feel-good movie.

I've just watched it because you reminded me man... would it be bad if I said that it's one of the best films ever made? It just had everything.

That "let me live again" scene killed me as well.

I've just watched it because you reminded me man... would it be bad if I said that it's one of the best films ever made? It just had everything.

That "let me live again" scene killed me as well.

Not really, it was done pretty well and had a great story and backstory. I love how we see Jimmy's character develop and change into what he became before committing suicide, and after he saw how life would be like without him.

I saw The Wolfman and its sequel, and it was OK. March's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is still the best horror movie out of the old ones that I've seen, along with Phantom of the Opera.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat creepy, but not that creepy.

Checked out State's Attorney, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Zootopia, and Boys Town, and I know I haven't seen the first or last movie. John Barrymore has me interested because of the accolades he's gotten, and the clips I've seen of Mickey and Spencer in Boys Town has me pretty interested. Watching Bringing Up Baby again because I usually get a more refined opinion when I see the movies again (like my opinion of Iron Man 2 & 3 went up). Hopefully it's better this time.

The design of the costume I like. I dig its multi-period style. What bothers me, though, are the muted colors and its musty-worn quality (which may be exacerbated by the photoshop effects). While it's not exactly that rough grunge look I was worried about, it's pretty close to that realm. The dark and dirty clown-look doesn't do it for me. It doesn't creep me out like that clean, colorful look does. I also I feel like there's a disconnect between the makeup and costume. To me the makeup has a more sharp-contemporary style instead of a period style like the costume.

But the main problem for me is the actor. If that facial expression is meant to invoke menace and intimidation then yikes... With that hair he reminds of Syndrome from The Incredibles!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shenandoah and Sleuth were fun movies to watch, though the latter was an okay thriller. Olivier was very good while Caine was beyond good. Amazing how he went from looking tall to being average height.

Anna Christie wasn't bad either. Mostly depressing, but Greta acted well.