The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but it's still not my forte. Call me a bitch if you want. :[

Yeah, but the cinema's history started with the Magic Lantern, apparently, around the 1700s. Would make sense to cover some of that as well as it was the earliest form of "cinema," no?

Oh, that's good. I'm for some reason more interested in MGM than I am most other studios, except for Warner Bros. But it'll be interesting to learn about the industry in other countries, as I think Germany and France revolutionized/introduced a lot of new things to cinema?

I legitimately wish I was living in different eras when the cinema history first began just to experience the firsts, from first movies to first comedies to first sound to first etc. We take these things for granted that it's nearly impossible to imagine how it must have felt like to see innovation like 3D.

Also currently watching Easy Street again. The first meeting and the fight between the two way later are so fun to watch! I should watch One Week as well.

Any good Mack Sennett comedies to watch without Charlie?

Imagine seeing pictures move for the first time. Must have been thrilling.

I like the part where he shoots up heroin. ;D And One Week = :cool:

Haven't gotten into other Sennett productions. Actually, the only silent comedy I've seen is from the big 3 and a couple Fatty Arbuckle shorts. One of these days I'll check out more.

And it must have been shocking as *Censored*. Can't imagine how scared people were when a player shot at the screen and when the train came towards the camera. I heard people cleared out cuz they thought the train would hit them! :lol:

He shot up heroin? Was this at the end? Can't have been heroin because Charlie perked up and somehow got the energetic balls to fight off multiple men.

Ah, Fatty Arbuckle. If he was innocent in Rappe's murder, I feel sorry for him.

I forgot if you replied to this, but did you watch Thin Man and After the Thin Man? I loved the films! William Powell and Myrna Loy were hilarious and had this witty chemistry between them. James Stewart was particularly good at the end of the sequel too.

Dunno, I assumed it was heroin with the needle and all. But it could be something else.

Haven't gotten to them, yet. I have a whole backlog of movies I've been getting through. But at some point I'll check them out. BTW are those the only Thin Man films worth watching or are there others you recommend?

Probably cocaine or some sort of stimulant. THe needle looked thick tough.

The other one I saw was Another Thin Man, I think? It's the third movie in the series, and it was good, but it didn't really stand out to me. I'll try to find the other movies and watch them.

Powell and Loy in the first two movies are #relationshipgoals. :P

Starting to try and watch a new movie almost every day this summer. Yesterday was Da Vinci Code and today was The Usual Suspects. The Da Vinci Code was kind of predictable and a little absurd but still really entertaining imo. The Usual Suspects was really good, even tough I looked up the cast at the beginning to make sure I wasn't crazy and it was Yung Kevin Spacey and the credits spoiled the twist. But even while knowing the ending it was still told very well.

Edited by Grenade.

Rest of the Thin Man series isn't really worth going out of your way for, truth be told.

Watching Ninotchka now, and I'm wondering how it's a comedy.

Ah, I see. Not too surprised.

A Lubitsch film! Share more of your thoughts. I plan on watching a large portion of his works soon.

I don't see how it's a comedy, but then again I'm probably not understanding it. I do love how Greta went from a stoic, emotionless Russian to a laughing, emotion-showing lady. Mervin Douglas is... dull. I did like The Shop Around the Corner though. Ninotchka, I think, is my second Lubitsch film.

I don't know if it's this film, but Douglas just didn't seem to have the charm or naturalness, he looked too forced. Or I'm just used to William Powell.

Watching The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney, and it's not bad. I don't see it as a horror, but it's likely due to an era thing. I read on Wiki that a lot of the audience members either lost their shit or fainted when the Phantom's face was uncovered. The lighting and shadow are brilliant though.

And this was before special effects. I read that he also used a wire to pull his nose up and made his nostril look bigger with a marker. His visual in The Hunchback of Notre Dame was brilliant too, genuinely looked deformed. Lon Chaney was one of those revolutionary actors.

It's a Wonderful Life is also another great movie I enjoy watching. Lionel Barrymore went from a loving father in You Can't Take It with You to a piece of shit in Wonderful Life. Donna Reed is hot af too

Before computer generated effects, for sure. But special effects have played a role in cinema since the beginning, the most notable example being the films of Georges Méliès.

Lon Chaney is a favorite of mine. Such a talented artist. His devotion to his craft is second to none. In The Penalty, he played a man whose legs were amputated and therefore had to perform for most of the film on his knees! It's quite convincing!

My favorite film that he starred in, though, is this movie called He Who Gets Slapped where Chaney plays a brilliant scientist who, after losing his groundbreaking work and his wife to the patron who funded him, becomes a circus clown whose act consists of being slapped. Tragic and devastating, the film is a great example what the silent era has to offer. It's also directed by one of my favorite directors, Victor Sjöström.

True, and I think A Trip to the Moon is a perfect example of special effects in the early 20th century. You could also bring up technological special effects too, like a robot whose head twisted 360 degrees like in The Exorcist?

I gotta check out those movies. Lon Chaney is brilliant and seems to live his role, a lot like Daniel Day-Lewis.

Not much to go off of, but it's okay. I'm glad that they're seemingly sticking with the pristine, classic clown-look for the most part instead of going with that done-to-death-not-as-scary grudge look. That said, I'm still concern about the actor they chose; his face looks too youthful for the role.