The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

I think Charlie Chaplin was one of the few people who could churn out silent films and still be successful, but his character didn't need words. Yeah, Singin' in the Rain showed how cumbersome and annoying the technology was, and it seemed to have ruined few careers for those who weren't goo at talking for the big screen.

Wasn't completely sure, but I tended to lean towards Cary for the personality and charisma, and Jimmy for his down-to-earth nature. I'm not sure whose movies I enjoy more, but I find myself rewatching more Jimmy movies (probably because of Jean Arthur too).

Also, why isn't Edward Arnold mentioned more often? He is amazing as a grouchy old man in screwball comedies!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy how Chaplin was still doing movies that had intertitles all the way into the '30s. Modern Times was released in 1936 nearly a whole friggin' decade into the sound era! Ha! I love that he did that!

I like how Jimmy Stewart took on roles that went beyond his aw-shucks persona and went into dark places.

TBH I haven't seen many of his films and so I'm guilty myself for not giving him recognition. 😕 I do like him in The Devil and Daniel Webster.

Charlie hated the idea of sound at first, if the biographical movie with RDJ is true. And apparently he had balls for doing stuff like filming his character kicking an immigration offer up the backside.

Ah, which ones? Only ones I've heard of were with Hitchcock.

You probably saw more variants of his films than I have. I've only seen the screwball comedies, but I wanna see drama too.

The cast of Fast 8:

gOQxMGr.jpg

From left to right the photo features Jason Statham, Kristofer Hivju, Kurt Russell, Tyrese Gibson, Charlize Theron, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Natalie Emmanuel, Scott Eastwood and Dwayne Johnson.

Jimmy Stewart > Cary Grant for me as well even though I do love them both. Seeing them both in Philadelphia Story along with Kate was too much for me. Love that film and it's probably in my top 3 of all time in all honesty.

Yeah, Chaplin was someone I had in mind when I was talking about people concern about sound.

Rear Window, Vertigo, Harvey, and It's a Wonderful Life.

And After the Thin Man too. Though he started out playing the usual role, at the end he was quite 180.

The cast of Fast 8:

gOQxMGr.jpg

From left to right the photo features Jason Statham, Kristofer Hivju, Kurt Russell, Tyrese Gibson, Charlize Theron, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Natalie Emmanuel, Scott Eastwood and Dwayne Johnson.

The cast doesn't really do much for me, other than Statham and Natalie.

Jimmy Stewart > Cary Grant for me as well even though I do love them both. Seeing them both in Philadelphia Story along with Kate was too much for me. Love that film and it's probably in my top 3 of all time in all honesty.

It was a good movie, and Jimmy stood out. The line where the father blames his daughter for him cheating was weird though, and discomforting.

Have you seen Arsenic and Old Lace? Cary was pretty funny, especially his facial expressions.

The cast of Fast 8:

gOQxMGr.jpg

They pulled my beloved Tormund Giantsbane into that go awful mess?

I actually haven't but I've been meaning to at some point. Same with Notorious actually. You seen that one?

Nope. I saw Lady Vanishes, and it was funnier than it was suspenseful.

you guys should check out Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood. It's pretty fascinating.

The dude is doing hotel ads, so he's done worse.

I'd call that innocent work. Not damaging cinema like the Fast movies.

Don't know if the Fast series is damaging cinema... But I think I rather be known as an actor who was in one of the Fast films than being the "Wyndham Rewards Wyzard."

The dude is doing hotel ads, so he's done worse.

I'd call that innocent work. Not damaging cinema like the Fast movies.

Don't know if the Fast series is damaging cinema... But I think I rather be known as an actor who was in one of the Fast films than being the "Wyndham Rewards Wyzard."

I thinl he's known for Game of Thrones ...

I get what you said. I said Thrones because that's what he's known for and will likely to be known for more than anything else for A long time. More so than either Fast 8 or whatever hotels you're on about.

I've seen it. It ain't bad for what it is, which is a look at the Hollywood Studio system up until New Hollywood. But there's far more to cinema than that. So obviously, if you want a more complete look at film history, look elsewhere.

They start at the early peepshows, which is the main reason I watched the series again. It's fun to learn about the industry before the whole studio system was set in place.

Yeah, after I read the book, the series just felt like it didn't cover as much as it should have.

q5SPa66.jpg

One of my favourite films of all time.

Black Swan?

Dunno about F+F without Walker, I enjoyed his character a lot. Diesel somehow went from not being boring to being boring. But Jason Statham. That aside, I love watching the series bar the third one.

I've seen it. It ain't bad for what it is, which is a look at the Hollywood Studio system up until New Hollywood. But there's far more to cinema than that. So obviously, if you want a more complete look at film history, look elsewhere.

They start at the early peepshows, which is the main reason I watched the series again. It's fun to learn about the industry before the whole studio system was set in place.

Yeah, after I read the book, the series just felt like it didn't cover as much as it should have.

If you're looking for a similar series about film history, I recommend you check out Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey, which goes beyond Hollywood and covers far more film history. It's a pretty good place to start if you're looking to get into non-Hollywood produced films. The downside about this series, though, is that it doesn't give much attention to genre-filmmaking, specifically horror pictures. That's where Mark Gatiss' A History of Horror and Horror Europa come in handy, both of which are loving tributes to the genre that cover a lot of ground. Unfortunately, though, both exclude movies past the '70s (the only exceptions are a couple of Cronenberg and del Toro films, I believe).

Eh, not a fan of horror movies anyway.

But The Story of Film should be an interesting watch. Where does it start, in the 1700s? But learning more about Hays' Code makes me angry because the dumb code censored a lot of things that could have been good or made the movies better. Though, to be fair Hollywood was getting a bad rep and all.