The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

Only movie discussion thread we have is Unpopular Movie Opinions, which is not for discussion about movies in general. Figured a new thread would be great. Hopefully we can talk about movies in different languages and regions and aren't just limited to Hollywood or English movies.

I can't wait for the sequel to Now You See Me. Jesse Eisenberg seems to have good chemistry with Woody Harrelson and Kristen Stewart.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for the sequel to Now You See Me. Jesse Eisenberg seems to have good chemistry with Woody Harrelson and Kristen Stewart.

Is Kristen Stewart going to be in the new one? I'll probably watch it because I liked the first but no Isla Fisher = no party.

Is Kristen Stewart going to be in the new one? I'll probably watch it because I liked the first but no Isla Fisher = no party.

She isn't, as far as I know. Second sentence was unrelated to the first sentence, other than Woody.

Yeah, sucks Isla isn't in the movie. She was fun and sexy to watch! It'll be interesting to watch Daniel Radcliffe play a villain, I haven't seen his work outside of Harry Potter. hopefully he isn't as wooden as he was in the last few HP movies.

Kristen Stewart is a pretty good actress though. Her reputation is just in the shitter cuzloltwilight. Also, I guess that cheating/affair thing didn't do her any favors, but I never really read up on what happened. Still, she's really capable.

Agreed. Also felt she was too self-conscious or not self-confident enough to really be able to reach her potential. Seems to have gotten over that, though?

Same, I truly never cared for her relationship stuff but then again, I'm not into celeb stuff like that. What movies of hers (or movies that she's acted as supporting cast in) would you recommend?

That's a gen question too, not specifically at Lyriqz, haha

If you're into watching her recent ones, watch Camp X-Ray (heard good things about her performance) and American Ultra. Adventureland was fun too, but I don't know if you'd like her acting in the movie. I enjoy the film though. She was good in The Runaways, but I don't know how accurately she portrayed Joan Jett. Dunno if I can recommend Welcome to the Rileys, tbh, but James Gandolfini. If you don't mind older movies, I'd say The Cake Eaters and Speak.

Saw Safety Last! for the first time few weeks ago, and it was pretty good. Shame Harold Lloyd didn't let himself stay relevant as Chaplin and Keaton did.

She isn't, as far as I know. Second sentence was unrelated to the first sentence, other than Woody.

Yeah, sucks Isla isn't in the movie. She was fun and sexy to watch! It'll be interesting to watch Daniel Radcliffe play a villain, I haven't seen his work outside of Harry Potter. hopefully he isn't as wooden as he was in the last few HP movies.

Radcliffe was actually pretty good in Horns (though the movie was a bit crazy) as well as What If? although I think he's let down by his choice in movies/scripts (heard the new Frankenstein sucks ass as well). Didn't realise he was going to be the villain in NYSM2 (always assumed he was just going to be another member of the team) but I have faith he'll do good in it. He's improved since his Harry Potter days for sure.

On the subject of Harry Potter, Domhnall Gleeson is absolutely killing it atm. I reckon he could be the next big thing. Dude was in Star Wars, Ex Machina, Brooklyn and The Revenant in the space of a year! Not normally a fan of the genre but he was brilliant in About Time a couple of years back as well (plus he was Bill Weasley :hqhq:).

Saw Safety Last! for the first time few weeks ago, and it was pretty good. Shame Harold Lloyd didn't let himself stay relevant as Chaplin and Keaton did.

Exciting stuff, huh? Quite a thrill that last part is.

Yeah, the guy was really successful back in his day. His movies grossed a lot and were well liked. Trouble came later once his acting career was over. Nowadays though, his stature has risen and he is seen as the third silent-genius.

Radcliffe was actually pretty good in Horns (though the movie was a bit crazy) as well as What If? although I think he's let down by his choice in movies/scripts (heard the new Frankenstein sucks ass as well). Didn't realise he was going to be the villain in NYSM2 (always assumed he was just going to be another member of the team) but I have faith he'll do good in it. He's improved since his Harry Potter days for sure.

On the subject of Harry Potter, Domhnall Gleeson is absolutely killing it atm. I reckon he could be the next big thing. Dude was in Star Wars, Ex Machina, Brooklyn and The Revenant in the space of a year! Not normally a fan of the genre but he was brilliant in About Time a couple of years back as well (plus he was Bill Weasley :hqhq:).

I should check out those movies, then. Thought he was good as Harry in the first movie, but he seems to have started phoning it in or was told to be wooden. I only know he'll be a villain because of Wiki, which may or may not be accurate. Kinda makes sense though, given his character's relation, and how family members tend to be villains, like Deckard Shaw in Furious 7.

Could have done more as Bill. Damn liberty-taking writers.

Exciting stuff, huh? Quite a thrill that last part is.

Yeah, the guy was really successful back in his day. His movies grossed a lot and were well liked. Trouble came later once his acting career was over. Nowadays though, his stature has risen and he is seen as the third silent-genius.

I don't see him mentioned as much. Out of the three, I'd say Chaplin is a household name and more immortalized than nearly any other actor. I don't think even the first star of Hollywood has been celebrated as much as Chaplin.

I should watch more Lloyd movies. What do you think is the best silent film from the Big 3? I really love Easy Street.

Of course, Chaplin is Chaplin. You can't get any bigger than him.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen all their shorts (especially Lloyd's):

Chaplin:

-The Gold Rush

-Modern Times

-Monsieur Verdoux

Keaton:

-One Week

-Sherlock Jr.

-The Cameraman

Lloyd:

-Safety Last!

-Why Worry?

-The Freshman

Man, you gotta love how the stunts back then were real. The actors were pretty fearless, especially Keaton. Dunno if Lloyd legit hung on to the clock or if it's just positioning.

But what's the best film overall, I meant. Like for me, I'd say Modern Times was arguably the best because it had comedy, great story, and symbolism, and you could watch it over and over.

Just watched Bridge of Spies. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. A few times I felt they painted the countries involved a little too extremely good or bad in the situation but other than that no real complaints.