Jim Cornette hates Lucha Underground

There's been a lot of talk about this in the Lucha Libre thread, but I don't think another thread would hurt. This site is pretty much WWE Land, so one extra thread isn't going to make a big difference in the mostly dead Indy, Puroresu & Misc. Section. Besides, there are so many great things to discuss about LU, and it would be nice to keep the negativity in here. Cornette doesn't deserve to take so much attention away from all of the good things about the show.

Anyway, I got a kick out of this rant. Classic Cornette. Where do you even start with this one?

Its a TV show. Its a movie. Its not wrestling. Its not a sport. They make no pretense of even attempting to make this shit believable. The production is incredible.

Great observation, Jim. It's a TV show. If you haven't noticed, that's how wrestling has made money for a little over fifty years now. Wrestling being fake was all over the news in the early 30's and by the late 70's everyone knew it was fake. A few inbred hicks in some backwoods, Deliverance ass town doesn't count.

As far as it being a "movie" goes, you're not wrong. I'm fairly new to lucha libre and even I know that movies are a big part of that culture. If anything, it being "movie like" is staying true to lucha libre's roots. I hope Lucha Underground is successful enough to get a feature length movie on the big screen. That would be awesome.

The production is incredible. It looks like Scorsese directed it. The cinematography is wonderful. It looks like a John Ford western, whatever the f***. I cant say enough about the production.

Speaking of movies, don't quit your day job as a bitchy pro wrestling podcaster. Scorsese? John Ford? I love LU and the I agree the cinematography is amazing by wrestling standards, but let's not go too far. Just because the lighting isn't complete shit and the camera man has a steady hand doesn't mean it's John Ford-esque. Hopefully someday we'll see a wrestling show that looks like it's directed by those guys though. The awesome thing about LU is that it's first step in getting us there. Thank god we have a wrestling show that has invested in a talented production crew for once. Look how much money WWE has to blow and how bad the presentation still is. Even if LU gets cancelled after the third season, wrestling fans are going to be talking about how influential it was twenty years from now. It's ahead of it's time for us, just imagine how far ahead it is for a guy that's still stuck in 1989. I wouldn't expect Jim Cornette to understand it.

And then, good God. I watched Prince Puma and Felix. I know Lucha is obviously acrobatic. But this was a choreographed f***ing Chinese acrobat Olympic gymnastics tumbling routine. That’s all that f***ing was. And the three-way ladder match is more garbage horse shit hardcore wrestling where they’re beating each other up with furniture that doesn’t work with you and somebody is going to get killed. And just more of this ladder goofiness. And the recap of the year, where there’s Vampiro hitting people with light tubes and thumb tacks on the ground. And John Morrison, I like, he was a OVW guy. I like him as a person. I’m sorry to see him in that atmosphere instead of real wrestling.

I would love to hear a debate between Cornette and his MLW colleague Konnan. Just the other day I was listening to Konnan and he said something along the lines of "the first thing that you have to learn about lucha is that there's no psychology". It blew my mind. I don't necessarily agree with that statement 100%, but Konnan is infinitely more knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to lucha than any mere fan. I was surprised to hear him say it, and it really got me thinking. I can only imagine how Cornette would react to that statement.

Also, I think it's weird that he bitches about lucha being a bunch of flippy chinese acrobatic shit, but then goes on to praise John Mundo. He says he wants to see him in "real wrestling" instead of the LU atmosphere, but Mundo would have to completely reinvent himself in order to thrive in a realistic wresting environment. Can you imagine Johnny Mundo going up against Vader in UWFI? Or Johnny Mundo vs. Volk Han?

Is that what wrestling has come to in this day and age, that we just have to watch youtube and old wrestling tapes?

I understand that if you just sat on your couch all day, baconator in hand flipping between Family Guy and 80's NWA, there would be no show. I understand that you have to watch shows like Lucha Underground so that you can get mad and provide me with hours of entertainment to help me pass the time at work. I really appreciate your angry, out-of-touch wrestling tirades.

I think you still have something to offer wrestling. I actually think you can do more than watch old tapes and youtube clips. The podcast is great, but I'm talking about something even bigger. Why not start a new promotion? Instead of talking shit all the time, why not make something better? I think it would be really cool if you started a new promotion with a classic, southern feel. I'm talking WAY southern. You could be the first promoter to book shows for the uncontacted tribes deep in the Amazon. It would be perfect because they are the only people on earth that don't know that pro wrestling is fake in 2016.

I think I do understand it from Cornette's point of view and I think I even admire his steadfast passion for things he's obviously very passionate about despite how everything has changed around him. I can even relate to that personally.

While LU shouldn't really be sending him a cheque yet, Cornette's just doing what Cornette's always done, and his little review probably draws more people to LU than it does discourage people from watching.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of talk about this in the Lucha Libre thread, but I don't think another thread would hurt. This site is pretty much WWE Land, so one extra thread isn't going to make a big difference in the mostly dead Indy, Puroresu & Misc. Section. Besides, there are so many great things to discuss about LU, and it would be nice to keep the negativity in here. Cornette doesn't deserve to take so much attention away from all of the good things about the show.

Anyway, I got a kick out of this rant. Classic Cornette. Where do you even start with this one?

Its a TV show. Its a movie. Its not wrestling. Its not a sport. They make no pretense of even attempting to make this shit believable. The production is incredible.

Great observation, Jim. It's a TV show. If you haven't noticed, that's how wrestling has made money for a little over fifty years now. Wrestling being fake was all over the news in the early 30's and by the late 70's everyone knew it was fake. A few inbred hicks in some backwoods, Deliverance ass town doesn't count.

As far as it being a "movie" goes, you're not wrong. I'm fairly new to lucha libre and even I know that movies are a big part of that culture. If anything, it being "movie like" is staying true to lucha libre's roots. I hope Lucha Underground is successful enough to get a feature length movie on the big screen. That would be awesome.

The production is incredible. It looks like Scorsese directed it. The cinematography is wonderful. It looks like a John Ford western, whatever the f***. I cant say enough about the production.

Speaking of movies, don't quit your day job as a bitchy pro wrestling podcaster. Scorsese? John Ford? I love LU and the I agree the cinematography is amazing by wrestling standards, but let's not go too far. Just because the lighting isn't complete shit and the camera man has a steady hand doesn't mean it's John Ford-esque. Hopefully someday we'll see a wrestling show that looks like it's directed by those guys though. The awesome thing about LU is that it's first step in getting us there. Thank god we have a wrestling show that has invested in a talented production crew for once. Look how much money WWE has to blow and how bad the presentation still is. Even if LU gets cancelled after the third season, wrestling fans are going to be talking about how influential it was twenty years from now. It's ahead of it's time for us, just imagine how far ahead it is for a guy that's still stuck in 1989. I wouldn't expect Jim Cornette to understand it.

And then, good God. I watched Prince Puma and Felix. I know Lucha is obviously acrobatic. But this was a choreographed f***ing Chinese acrobat Olympic gymnastics tumbling routine. That’s all that f***ing was. And the three-way ladder match is more garbage horse shit hardcore wrestling where they’re beating each other up with furniture that doesn’t work with you and somebody is going to get killed. And just more of this ladder goofiness. And the recap of the year, where there’s Vampiro hitting people with light tubes and thumb tacks on the ground. And John Morrison, I like, he was a OVW guy. I like him as a person. I’m sorry to see him in that atmosphere instead of real wrestling.

I would love to hear a debate between Cornette and his MLW colleague Konnan. Just the other day I was listening to Konnan and he said something along the lines of "the first thing that you have to learn about lucha is that there's no psychology". It blew my mind. I don't necessarily agree with that statement 100%, but Konnan is infinitely more knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to lucha than any mere fan. I was surprised to hear him say it, and it really got me thinking. I can only imagine how Cornette would react to that statement.

Also, I think it's weird that he bitches about lucha being a bunch of flippy chinese acrobatic shit, but then goes on to praise John Mundo. He says he wants to see him in "real wrestling" instead of the LU atmosphere, but Mundo would have to completely reinvent himself in order to thrive in a realistic wresting environment. Can you imagine Johnny Mundo going up against Vader in UWFI? Or Johnny Mundo vs. Volk Han?

Is that what wrestling has come to in this day and age, that we just have to watch youtube and old wrestling tapes?

I understand that if you just sat on your couch all day, baconator in hand flipping between Family Guy and 80's NWA, there would be no show. I understand that you have to watch shows like Lucha Underground so that you can get mad and provide me with hours of entertainment to help me pass the time at work. I really appreciate your angry, out-of-touch wrestling tirades.

I think you still have something to offer wrestling. I actually think you can do more than watch old tapes and youtube clips. The podcast is great, but I'm talking about something even bigger. Why not start a new promotion? Instead of talking shit all the time, why not make something better? I think it would be really cool if you started a new promotion with a classic, southern feel. I'm talking WAY southern. You could be the first promoter to book shows for the uncontacted tribes deep in the Amazon. It would be perfect because they are the only people on earth that don't know that pro wrestling is fake in 2016.

You said it better than I could. Jim has been ranting about anything that isn't ovw for years. Funny part is him praising Johnny Mundo calling him a wrestler but none of the other lucha underground folks are

You said it better than I could. Jim has been ranting about anything that isn't ovw for years. Funny part is him praising Johnny Mundo calling him a wrestler but none of the other lucha underground folks are

Is he racist? I mean he loves the southern style and he only gave props to Johnny Mundo, essentially the most popular white guy on LU.

Archived