the internet and backstage info has it taken the fun out of wrestling

shorol

ive been thinking about this for a while i remeber when it was the 90s and late 80s ( mostly 90s ) and wrestling to a extent was real and what i mean by that is that i thought it was real

i was suckerd in to it i really thought that those guys could do those kind of things to each other like the shoulder breaker for example i thought the guys ( and girls ) that hated each other truely hated each other i thought the stunts was real ect ect

point is fast foward to when it was common to find backstage info and you could find out that A dosent hate B and in fact best freands or they are realated it takes the fun out of watching wrestling the fantasy ( sp) the beleif (sp) that you,re watching something and knowing the backstage stuff it sucks it dry or dose it

whats you,re thoughts dose having the backstage info ruin the experance and fun for you or do you think its a good thing

I prefer it if anything, I enjoy the psychology aspect and it helps me to enjoy how everythings put together.

I often find myself watching shoot interviews or documentaries more than actual matches

I liken it to say watching a film with directors commentary; you can still appreciate the artistry of a film even with the knowledge of how it put together or knowing the directors secrets

wrestling has always considered it's self the art of story telling, using the sport of it to tell it's story, it's always been that way whether it was done without the audiences knowledge or as is the case now with their knowledge

without the Internet I don't feel we'd have all the great alternatives to the mainstream that we have now

I mean...most of what you mentioned in the OP isn't even a matter of "internet knowledge"...a lot of that is just common sense that you acquire when you watch wrestling long enough. Knowing that it isn't real, and the wrestlers don't actually hate each other, was widespread knowledge long before the internet even existed.

You're not a kid any more. You don't think Santa is real any more either.

...do you?

If you don't want shit spoiled, don't look it up online.

Also, learn to type.

It doesn't take the fun out of wrestling. If anything, when the realization hits you that it's fake, it almost becomes even more interesting. There's all kinds of real violence going on everyday, if that's more your cup of tea. Wrestling is different because it's friends and coworkers beating the shit out of each other for the sake of a cheesy story about guys who fight for title belts in their underwear. The whole idea of it is so weird, and a lot more weird than it would be if it were real. The fact that there's still grown men hitting each other over the head with fluorescent light tubes in 2016 is so fascinating to me. Some of those guys get paid peanuts to kill themselves for our enjoyment. It's the last great freak show. All of the other entertainment these days is so safe and polished. When you begin to learn about how pro wrestling works, you see how raw and unrefined it is compared to everything else out there these days. You realize how special it is. I'm thankful for the internet and the stacks of books I've read about what goes on backstage because they helped turn something I half heartedly enjoyed as a kid into a major hobby I'll have for the rest of my life.

I will say that people tend to overanalyze wrestling (especially WWE) and that kinda ruins the fun. When people get too critical. It just causes a lot of negativity and you don't allow yourself to be taken on this journey with the characters like in the 90's. Sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy the product more.

Archived