Film Music Thread

Work as in "video is unavailable" for me :P I checked it out at another link and while I'm not familiar with the movie it's a good version. There is something really deep about Roy's songs that I find amazing.

Showing my age again, a movie from my childhood, was just recently on repeat on TV down here and still thought it was very cool although a certain campiness that I didn't latch onto as a young fella however many years ago.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm more into songs that I really enjoy that just happen to be in movies than movies that feature songs that I really enjoy.

That being said;

Malcolm busting out the Max Bygraves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FniXY7tGZ3s

'Breakfast at Tiffany's'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOByH_iOn88

From 'The Wall'

The animation in Pink Floyd - The Wall is so striking and disgustingly gorgeous.

This one is from an animated-film that aired on ABC back in 1971 called The Point!, which is about a boy who is casted out from a society of pointed people simply because he was born without a point. The film is based on the album of the same name by Harry Nilsson (whose voice you hear on this track and the rest of the songs). The trippy-colorful animation is done by Fred Wolf, best known for his Tootsie Pop How Many Licks commercial.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=At2IIzug0WQ

Oh yeah, I see the similarities with the way some of it is animated and especially the pointed finger at the end. Thanks for sharing!

Switching gears, a few mornings ago as I was in that half-asleep state in my bed I found myself randomly humming the melody of a tune. I didn't know what it was or where it came from, so I just scoffed it off. However, as the day worn on it kept nagging at me and I couldn't stop thinking of it. Fast forward to today and it was still in my head. I tried to do some research online, but I came up empty... However, as I was showering (hehe), it finally clicked! I don't know why or how, but it did. So, as it turns out, the tune that was rattling around my noggin was a piece from Eyes Without a Face, a horror movie which has wonderfully manic score that can be as delicate and wistful as it deranged and carnivalesque.

Needless to say, it's crazy how the mind works -- being that I hadn't seen the film for over a year(!) -- but I think it also speaks to the staying power of Maurice Jarre's superb score.

Opening music:

And the one that was stuck in my head:

Once again I'm found lacking in movie knowledge but that 2nd theme is really good and does sound familiar for some reason. Worse things to have stuck in your head. Looks like Jarre has a solid back catalog too.

Normally I find movie adaptations of books to be lacking but I think in this case the movie is just as good as the book. Maybe one of my favourite films of all time, definitely one of my favourite books of all time. Not so fond of the main pan flute theme but love other parts of the soundtrack.

The theme at the beginning is the one I really enjoy and the pan flute theme begins at around 5:30

Whoa, we must have a telepathic connection or something because I was just thinking about posting Picnic at Hanging Rock's soundtrack!

I'm in total agreement with you -- Picnic at Hanging Rock is an outstanding movie; it's one of my favorites, too. It's such an eerie and elusive film. For me, it has a viewing experience akin to The Innocents, Eraserhead, and The Thing, where there's so much dread you feel sick.

As for the score, I think the whole thing is terrific, including the pan flute. In fact, that was the part I was thinking about posting. lol It adds so much to the eerie, otherworldly atmosphere that I couldn't imagine the film without it.

Have you read the book? Or the 'Secret of Hanging Rock' the elusive last chapter?

There's a beautiful DVD package released that has a bonus disc with interviews with the author. Interesting lady.

Have you read the book? Or the 'Secret of Hanging Rock' the elusive last chapter?

There's a beautiful DVD package released that has a bonus disc with interviews with the author. Interesting lady.

Not yet, but I do have it. It came with the Blu-ray / DVD I have.

I'm familiar with the "lost" final chapter. From what I've heard, the movie works better without it. Not sure if the book I have has it, though.

So, the last music I posted were two finely composed themes. Sweet, charming, and intricately produced, they were perfect for the movie they were used in. This next piece of music on the other hand is the total opposite. Raw, filthy, and simplistic, this theme with its grating, repetitious sax going off key and spitting out sours notes all over the place while a groovy backtrack sleazes & claps along, is absolutely perfect for the movie it was composed for: a rape-revenge flick by Abel Ferrara called Ms. 45.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TC-E2yl7oq4

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where else to put it but John Carpenter on tour.

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/tour/

Jun 02 Primavera Sound Barcelona, Spain

Jun 14 Paramount Seattle, WA

Jun 15 Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall Portland, OR

Jun 17 Fox Theatre Oakland, CA

Jun 18 The Orpheum Los Angeles, CA

Jun 21 Gothic Theatre Englewood, CO

Jun 23 Moody Theatre Austin, TX

Jun 24 Majestic Dallas, TX

Jul 01 ATP Iceland Festival Keflavik, Iceland

Jul 06 Neuchatel International Fantastic Film Festival Neuchatel, Switzerland

Jul 08 Playstation Theatre New York, NY

Jul 12 Lincoln Theatre Washington, DC

Jul 15 Masonic Temple Detroit, MI

Oct 28 Albert Hall Manchester Manchester, United Kingdom

Oct 29 Albert Hall Manchester Manchester, United Kingdom

Oct 31 The Troxy London, United Kingdom

I think I've already mentioned my fondness for Love Me Tonight a while back on this board but right now I want to take a moment to spotlight two delightful songs that start the film.

First, there's this formally adventurous opening-number that feels like something you would see in an old Disney cartoon in the way objects are interacted with to create a symphony of everyday noises. It's such a fantastically clever way to start the movie and it's also a good example of early sound and how creative it can be:

Then afterwards we get this spectacular musical sequence that yet again shows a skillful handling of sound. Here we have an example of music transcending space where it travels seamlessly through a number of settings, undergoing fun, stylistic alterations. The song is also wonderfully infectious:

Opening score for Hateful Eight. I get chills every time I listen to this

Still haven't seen it, but my brother played me that track (& a few others) --- and yeah, it's excellent. Glad that Morricone is getting recognition.

------

More unfortunate news from the Dario Argento film-music front: Keith Emerson, who did the score for Inferno, has passed away. While the score as a whole is a little uneven, whenever this song kicks on, I cannot help but get hyped:

• 1 month later...

Brad Fiedel - The Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwWYOE3Y9o

Mark Mancina - Bad Boys (Heist)

Steve Jablonsky - Transformers (Arrival to Earth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_V-ARnPEAw

John Du Prez - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Shredder Suite)

James Horner - Apollo XIII (Main theme)

Danny Elfman - Batman (Main theme)

John Williams - Jurassic Park (Main theme)

John Williams - Jurassic Park (Dennis steals the embryos)

I could go on ... so I shall.

John Williams - Star Wars Episode II (Across the Stars)

John Williams - Star Wars Episode III (Anakin's Betrayal)

John Williams - Star Wars Episode III (Battle of the Heroes)