Sasha Banks as Intercontinental Champion

Crowley

Never going to happen.

Ever.

Sasha Banks probably won't win the Intercontinental title in 2016, but I wouldn't say never. If a woman doesn't win a men's title in WWE within three years, I will suck the dicks of everyone on caws.ws.

... that's a dangerous thing to say.

I can honestly see a woman winning the title, but it's not gonna be a wrestler. I can see Steph winning it somehow from Reigns. Her bitch mode character is a lot like Mr. McMahons and they seem to be going in that direction with her being the biggest thorn in the top baby faces side. I see HHH as more of a lap dog for her but not filling in the top heel authority role.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly not in favour of it. Sasha is way too small to be legitimately picking up wins against the likes of Braun Strowman and Big Show.

So are Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, Finn Balor, and Xavier Woods. Chad Gable, Kalisto, and Adrian Neville are way too small to even beat Damien Sandow in a real fight. I understand how you feel and sometimes I think bringing back the cruiserweight division might not be a bad idea. Then again, WWE is so ridiculous and over-the-top, it doesn't really matter. I think if you're concerned about whether this or that is realistic, WWE might just not be for you. Give NJPW a shot if you haven't already.

Never going to happen.

Ever.

Sasha Banks probably won't win the Intercontinental title in 2016, but I wouldn't say never. If a woman doesn't win a men's title in WWE within three years, I will suck the dicks of everyone on caws.ws.

... that's a dangerous thing to say.

I like to live on the edge.

Honestly not in favour of it. Sasha is way too small to be legitimately picking up wins against the likes of Braun Strowman and Big Show.

So are Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, Finn Balor, and Xavier Woods. Chad Gable, Kalisto, and Adrian Neville are way too small to even beat Damien Sandow in a real fight. I understand how you feel and sometimes I think bringing back the cruiserweight division might not be a bad idea. Then again, WWE is so ridiculous and over-the-top, it doesn't really matter. I think if you're concerned about whether this or that is realistic, WWE might just not be for you. Give NJPW a shot if you haven't already.

You are aware half those guys you mentioned are bigger than Sasha? She's only 114lbs. The smallest guy on your list, Neville, is not only bigger than her (194 lbs) but has a natural high flying style to counter that size disadvantage. Sasha has a more technical style that has no chance in hell of working on a guy like Brock Lesnar, much less Sheamus or Big Show. I never said anything about that joke of a title, no idea why you're bringing it up. I can live with Neville outpacing a stronger but slower Big Show, but I don't how a Sasha out wrestling a guy like Bruan Strowman, who is like 4 times her size, is believable. I would watch NJPW if I could get it on TV.

You are aware half those guys you mentioned are bigger than Sasha? She's only 114lbs. The smallest guy on your list, Neville, is not only bigger than her (194 lbs) but has a natural high flying style to counter that size disadvantage. Sasha has a more technical style that has no chance in hell of working on a guy like Brock Lesnar, much less Sheamus or Big Show. I never said anything about that joke of a title, no idea why you're bringing it up. I can live with Neville outpacing a stronger but slower Big Show, but I don't how a Sasha out wrestling a guy like Bruan Strowman, who is like 4 times her size, is believable. I would watch NJPW if I could get it on TV.

I brought up the cruiserweight title because I honestly don't think bringing it back would be a terrible idea. Who says they have to book it the same way they booked it the last time we saw it? They could book it more like they did in its early days on Smackdown when guys like Kidman, Tajiri, and Mysterio were chasing it, or book it even better and create a division similar to NJPW/Noah's Junior Heavyweight divisions.

The weight difference between Neville and Sasha is only 80 lbs. How would you feel about her competing for a cruiserweight title? It's still a big weight difference, but it's a lot more realistic than either of them chasing heavyweight titles.

I don't think the "style" of fighting matters at all. No style of pro wrestling is even remotely realistic. Even if they decided they wanted to make Sasha a "powerhouse", it wouldn't make her any more believable against a guy than if she was a high flyer. It's all silly kayfabe stuff and means nothing. Besides, it says right in WWE's own article that her "high risk style affords her the ability to take down much larger opponents". I would agree with you that her in-ring style reminds me more of a technical wrestler, but apparently they see her as someone with "high risk style", so in kayfabe, that's what she is whether it's true in real life or not. It's canon. It's just like how they always talk about how Daniel Bryan is this amazing technical wrestler even though he mostly only does kicks and crazy dives in WWE.

I brought up the cruiserweight title because I honestly don't think bringing it back would be a terrible idea. Who says they have to book it the same way they booked it the last time we saw it? They could book it more like they did in its early days on Smackdown when guys like Kidman, Tajiri, and Mysterio were chasing it, or book it even better and create a division similar to NJPW/Noah's Junior Heavyweight divisions.

The weight difference between Neville and Sasha is only 80 lbs. How would you feel about her competing for a cruiserweight title? It's still a big weight difference, but it's a lot more realistic than either of them chasing heavyweight titles.

I don't think the "style" of fighting matters at all. No style of pro wrestling is even remotely realistic. Even if they decided they wanted to make Sasha a "powerhouse", it wouldn't make her any more believable against a guy than if she was a high flyer. It's all silly kayfabe stuff and means nothing. Besides, it says right in WWE's own article that her "high risk style affords her the ability to take down much larger opponents". I would agree with you that her in-ring style reminds me more of a technical wrestler, but apparently they see her as someone with "high risk style", so in kayfabe, that's what she is whether it's true in real life or not. It's canon. It's just like how they always talk about how Daniel Bryan is this amazing technical wrestler even though he mostly only does kicks and crazy dives in WWE.

Three letters: W. W. E. That is all I need to say about them bringing back that title.

It would be a little bit better as it would eliminate the bigger the guys from competition.

Even then they use completely different styles, which do matter in WWE. I'd say seeing a smaller guy use a quicker, high-flying style to outpace a stronger but slower guy is more bolievable than seeing them try to out power a guy who not only is more experienced in that style, but is better built for it. Mysterio and Kalisto use high flying styles, and they're having success right now. Spike Dudley and Jamie Noble didn't fly around half as much and they didn't come close to the success the first two did. The only high flying thing Sasha does is her suicide dive. Suppose if they called Big Show a high flyer on his WWE.com page we should bolieve that too? That Bryan example is rubbish, considering when they let him, Bryan is proven extremely capable in submissions.

Three letters: W. W. E. That is all I need to say about them bringing back that title.

It would be a little bit better as it would eliminate the bigger the guys from competition.

Even then they use completely different styles, which do matter in WWE. I'd say seeing a smaller guy use a quicker, high-flying style to outpace a stronger but slower guy is more bolievable than seeing them try to out power a guy who not only is more experienced in that style, but is better built for it. Mysterio and Kalisto use high flying styles, and they're having success right now. Spike Dudley and Jamie Noble didn't fly around half as much and they didn't come close to the success the first two did. The only high flying thing Sasha does is her suicide dive. Suppose if they called Big Show a high flyer on his WWE.com page we should bolieve that too? That Bryan example is rubbish, considering when they let him, Bryan is proven extremely capable in submissions.

Yes, because wrestling is fiction. It's just like how we're willing to accept that The Undertaker has supernatural powers, or that Tyler Breeze is an egotistical model (even if he gets in the ring and wrestles like any other ordinary wrestler). If they said that Big Show is a high flyer, I would shrug that off as being part of the storyline. Him not being capable of double moonsaults would not mean that the character that THEY created is not a high flyer. You could accuse them of poor casting, but that's about it. It's their story, so they can tell it however they want. It's just like Scooby Doo once drove Sin Cara to the ring. I know that Scooby Doo isn't a real dog, but in the WWE universe, he exists.

The Daniel Bryan example isn't rubbish at all. I think you're missing the point. Of course Daniel Bryan is capable of all kinds of incredible moves. If given the opportunity, he could pull off a MMA hybrid shoot style match or even a 10,000 lighttubes death match. The point I was making is that even though the majority of his matches in WWE are not necessarily made up of sophisticated mat wrestling does not mean the character he plays isn't a technical wrestler.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that she's a woman and that instantly puts her in a huge disadvantage.

Again, no, because it's make believe. It would only put her at a disadvantage in a real fight.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that she's a woman and that instantly puts her in a huge disadvantage.

Also this. Anyone who accuses us of being sexist pigs can go count the amount of Formula One drivers who were female over the last 20 years. The answer? None. It's not because of sexism, it's because of how the male and female bodies vary by design.

Also this. Anyone who accuses us of being sexist pigs can go count the amount of Formula One drivers who were female over the last 20 years. The answer? None. It's not because of sexism, it's because of how the male and female bodies vary by design.

Yes, let's compare an imaginary fantasy world where Scooby Doo and zombies exist to a real, competitive sport.

It's kind of sad how a woman can get into a fight with a man in a movie or any other form of Television show. Can base a show on any form of man on woman violence in existance but the thought of a woman taking a suplex from a male is just outrageous.

Yes, because wrestling is fiction. It's just like how we're willing to accept that The Undertaker has supernatural powers, or that Tyler Breeze is an egotistical model (even if he gets in the ring and wrestles like any other ordinary wrestler). If they said that Big Show is a high flyer, I would shrug that off as being part of the storyline. Him not being capable of double moonsaults would not mean that the character that THEY created is not a high flyer. You could accuse them of poor casting, but that's about it. It's their story, so they can tell it however they want. It's just like Scooby Doo once drove Sin Cara to the ring. I know that Scooby Doo isn't a real dog, but in the WWE universe, he exists.

The Daniel Bryan example isn't rubbish at all. I think you're missing the point. Of course Daniel Bryan is capable of all kinds of incredible moves. If given the opportunity, he could pull off a MMA hybrid shoot style match or even a 10,000 lighttubes death match. The point I was making is that even though the majority of his matches in WWE are not necessarily made up of sophisticated mat wrestling does not mean the character he plays isn't a technical wrestler.

Again, no, because it's make believe. It would only put her at a disadvantage in a real fight.

While it is fiction, there is only so far you can take it before insulting the viewer's intelligence. If Vince McMahon won the IC Title this Monday night on RAW I can only imagine the backlash that would go on, but Sasha winning it would be OK? You can also have bad storytelling as well. WWE for years have looked down upon their female talents as weaker than the men. How often have we seen a female run away when put into a match with a guy? Sure you have exceptions such as Lita Vs Malenko, and even then Malenko first best her and had the second match won until outside interference cost him the match. The only female that has had any sort of intergender success was Chyna, and she had the size and strength to back it up. When exactly did that Scooby Doo stuff happen?

Eh, true.

Yes, let's compare an imaginary fantasy world where Scooby Doo and zombies exist to a real, competitive sport.
Considering WWE still promote themselves as legit I'd say the two are comparable.

It's kind of sad how a woman can get into a fight with a man in a movie or any other form of Television show. Can base a show on any form of man on woman violence in existance but the thought of a woman taking a suplex from a male is just outrageous.

The difference is even though wrestling is considered "fake", the bumps they take are real so even in a choreographed setting a woman would be completely decimated by Brock Lesnars suplexes or Big Shows stiff chops. In a movie they don't even touch each other in a fight scene.

While it is fiction, there is only so far you can take it before insulting the viewer's intelligence. If Vince McMahon won the IC Title this Monday night on RAW I can only imagine the backlash that would go on, but Sasha winning it would be OK? You can also have bad storytelling as well. WWE for years have looked down upon their female talents as weaker than the men. How often have we seen a female run away when put into a match with a guy? Sure you have exceptions such as Lita Vs Malenko, and even then Malenko first best her and had the second match won until outside interference cost him the match. The only female that has had any sort of intergender success was Chyna, and she had the size and strength to back it up. When exactly did that Scooby Doo stuff happen?

Eh, true.

Considering WWE still promote themselves as legit I'd say the two are comparable.

Hmm. I guess I stopped allowing myself to feel like my intelligence was being insulted. You're right. Everybody has a breaking point where they say, "this is just too stupid. I'm not willing to even pretend to believe this". If you get to that point with wrestling, you should take a break like I did. It's not something that's meant to be taken so seriously. That's a mistake that I've made a lot and will continue to make. I've been watching WWE for so long, and I feel like every other thing that happens on the show is so dumb and unbelievable that it just doesn't bother me anymore. Remember when R-Truth exploded on the stage? Of course the character didn't really die because we've seen him again since then. But that almost makes the whole thing even worse. Not only can wrestlers randomly explode in WWE, they can survive and appear unscathed the next week just like in a Tom & Jerry cartoon. It's stupid, but it's supposed to be. I like when Chikara does stuff like that, so why wouldn't I like it when WWE does it? If Vince McMahon won the title next week, I would actually be quite happy. I'm not a fan of him as a booker, but he's one of my favorite pro wrestlers of all time. To answer your question, Scooby Doo appeared on the March 24th, 2014 episode of Raw. There's also the Scooby Doo: WrestleMania Mystery movie, but I can't decide if that's canon or not. If it is, I don't know where exactly it fits into the timeline.

And you're right about bad storytelling, but that's basically all WWE is. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what makes it interesting. It's junk food for your brain. Some people like to watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians and some people like to watch Raw. I can make fun of the show but I'd never make fun of the people who watch it because as dumb as it is, it's entertaining! Even the absolute best, most mature, refined wrestling in the world is pretty silly. Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu isawa is still just two guys in their underwear dancing around for forty five minutes. I think Lucha Underground is an infinitely better TV show than Raw in every way, but it's every bit as campy and ridiculous. Wrestling is a corny thing by nature.

In response to the second comment, WWE does not promote themselves as legit. On the contrary, they make a huge point about how they're not trying to fool anyone. If you ever see Triple H speaking with the media, he always talks about how the WWE competes with shows like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones as opposed to real sports. They always stress that they're not trying to fool anybody into thinking it's a real sporting event. They've taken things a step further recently by introducing shows like Breaking Ground that give you a behind the scenes look and encouraging wrestlers to break kayfabe on Twitter.

The difference is even though wrestling is considered "fake", the bumps they take are real so even in a choreographed setting a woman would be completely decimated by Brock Lesnars suplexes or Big Shows stiff chops. In a movie they don't even touch each other in a fight scene.

Brock Lesnar has completely decimated men with his suplexes too. I remember an interview with Paul London where he said that Brock hurt him but he didn't blame the guy because he doesn't know his own strength. A lot of people are concerned about Daniel Bryan wrestling again because allegedly his health isn't great. Personally, not only do I want to see him wrestle again, I'd love to see him get in the ring with Brock, concussions be damned. Of course there's a risk, but every thing in pro wrestling is a risk. Look at how Perro Aguayo Jr. got killed in the ring. It wa a simple, ordinary spot. Shit happens, but that's what makes wrestling cool and different.

Also, in response to your comment about movies, you're right but you might be surprised by some of the crazy stunts and stiff fight scenes women have been involved in. Look up Michelle Yeoh. I think old Kung Fu cinema has a lot in common with pro wrestling.

If a women wins the Intercontinental Championship and isn't a credible threat like Chyna or Awesome Kong, or even Asuka, I will stop watching. That's where I draw the line. I refuse to see a 5'6, 115 pound woman defeat significantly taller, significantly heavier, equally talented (in kayfabe) male wrestlers. That's malarkey and I would never accept it, I don't care how progressive the world gets or how much anyone brings up strong women like Rousey, I won't accept it.

It needs to be in a situation where it makes sense. Like Having Sasha go up against someone close to her size much like Jacqueline against Chavo or Dean Malenko. It was belivable that she could go toe to toe with them at the time.

Sasha could be believable if shes competing for the Intercontinental championship against people like Kofi Kingston, Xavior Woods, Dolph Ziggler, Kalisto, or the Miz. Someone who's atleast 220 lbs max.

If a women wins the Intercontinental Championship and isn't a credible threat like Chyna or Awesome Kong, or even Asuka, I will stop watching. That's where I draw the line. I refuse to see a 5'6, 115 pound woman defeat significantly taller, significantly heavier, equally talented (in kayfabe) male wrestlers. That's malarkey and I would never accept it, I don't care how progressive the world gets or how much anyone brings up strong women like Rousey, I won't accept it.

For me, it has nothing to do with pushing some politically correct, feminist agenda or anything like that. I think it's good that the role of women in wrestling is changing but I'm also a big advocate of blading and I don't really give a *Censored* how many concussions so-and-so has had. I'm not one of these wussy wrestling fans that wants to take all of the danger out of wrestling and turn it into some preachy, squeaky clean, overly PC thing. Also, some of you guys might know that I'm not even much of a Sasha Banks fan. I think it'd be good if she won the IC title, but not because I think she's that amazing of a wrestler. I just think it'd be something different for a change and would hopefully be the first step towards a show with more fresh match-ups, characters, and styles.

I do wonder though, why some people draw the line when it comes to smaller women fighting larger men. It seems like you would have drawn the line at other species (leprechauns, demons, bunnies) fighting humans. In my opinion, that's outrageous but I put up with it because I've come to expect stuff like that from WWE.

Ziggler and Miz are way bigger than Sasha. I'd say Kofi is too. Also Woods is deceptively built.

I'm sure Sasha's capable of lifting atleast 100 pounds more than she weighs, and shes probably skilled enough to tell a story in a ring without the need of doing much lifting until later in a match if necessary.

I wonder if it'll make sense to most people if they could just ignore the fact that this is a female performer we're talking about and could just see her as a regular competitor. From what I've read in this thread (heck, skimmed through), the problem is her gender or her size that's preventing it from making complete sense. Which is well and good unless you don't expand your thinking and take other factors just as much into consideration.

If you could put her ability as a performer before the fact she's a woman, that could be a start. It doesn't make sense because you're not used to it making sense, the idea of a female performer standing tall over a male performer, for the most part anyway. That's what the WWE has drilled into our minds, as well as our very own society. It isn't the norm because we've never cared to make it as such. Maybe just forget the fact that the man is supposed to be the dominant one or keep it to the side in certain instances, especially when talking about a TV show which itself is far from realistic if you really want to look deep into it.

As for size, I'm really tired with that being brought up as a never-ending as to why anything different and unique shouldn't see the light of day. Size isn't the be-all-end-all. There's much more to wrestling. There's technique, there's speed, there's basic wrestling ability. Her beating performers bigger than her wouldn't make sense because of her size? Seriously? Since when is size the only deciding factor when it comes to realism? And even if it is, since when is WWE synonymous with complete realism? Just put your kayfabe glasses on and see it from another perspective, where you get to see something different that does make sense if you let it make sense on what is basically a TV show directed towards entertaining the audience (or so it is supposed to be).

Sasha is skinny as hell and looks like she would break with a clothesline from any of the male wrestlers, and why does she need to win the IC title? Can't she just win a singles match for a guy?

It doesn't "need" to happen. Nothing in WWE needs to happen. It's just that it would be something fresh that you don't expect to see in the modern day WWE.

Archived