The Puro General Discussion Thread

AssaultDriver720

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated Extra Mustard‘s Justin Barrasso recently spoke with Eddie Edwards about winning the GHC Heavyweight Championship for Pro Wrestling NOAH this past weekend; you can read a few excerpts below:

Eddie Edwards comments on what his GHC title win means to him:

“In 2005, I went over with a chance to train as a young boy with no promise of actually wrestling. I was a fan. I always loved Japanese wrestling and Pro Wrestling NOAH was top of the class. So, to win the NOAH title 12 years later, it means so much to me. I started at the bottom, so to get here where I am is still pretty crazy.”

Edwards comments on being mentioned along with other Japanese wrestling greats:

“Look at the list of former GHC heavyweight champions. To be mentioned in the same breath as Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, Jun Akiyama, Naomichi Marufuji, Kenta, and the rest of their champions? My name is now on that list, I am now in the history books, and that gives me chills.”

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/879817-eddie-edwards-comments-on-noah-title-win-what-it-means-to-him-grado-talks-going-from-icw-to-impact-video

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In January of 2018, a few weeks removed from Team Veda Scott vs. Team Faye Jackson at NOVA Pro Wrestlings show 11th Dimension on November 24th in Fairfax, Virginia Veda Scott will be traveling to the land of the rising sun once again.

It was announced via social media that Veda Scott, who is no stranger to Japan having competed for promotions such as DIANA and SEAdLINNNG would be making her debut for Tokyo Joshi Pro, a Joshi company that is affiliated with DDT Pro Wrestling.

Veda will be making her debut in January, fresh off the heels of a UK tour which she is currently doing which has seen her wrestle for promotions such as Pro Wrestling EVE, Rev Pro, ATTACK, and OTT just to name a few!

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/veda-scott-to-make-tokyo-joshi-pro-debut/

Anyone watch Onitas retirement show? Watched it, and it was really...just bad. Onita's retirement was emotional, but other than that it was a forgettable show, and his last match was pretty bad.

Def thought it was objectively bad show, though considering the context I dont think I would have ever went into it anticipating anything but (that probs says a lot about my perception of Onita, though I rly mean it in a nice, endearing type of way)

Thought the Z1 tag was a fun break from the FMW conveyor belt nostalgia cavalcade + the crowd was even more molten in the main than i expected...will def confess to being waaaay more focused on the push and pull of the audience facing the hard cam than watching Onita chairshot > Thunder Fire Nosawa x 1000

Anyone watch Onitas retirement show? Watched it, and it was really...just bad. Onita's retirement was emotional, but other than that it was a forgettable show, and his last match was pretty bad.

Def thought it was objectively bad show, though considering the context I dont think I would have ever went into it anticipating anything but (that probs says a lot about my perception of Onita, though I rly mean it in a nice, endearing type of way)

Thought the Z1 tag was a fun break from the FMW conveyor belt nostalgia cavalcade + the crowd was even more molten in the main than i expected...will def confess to being waaaay more focused on the push and pull of the audience facing the hard cam than watching Onita chairshot > Thunder Fire Nosawa x 1000

I wasn't expecting a 5 star show by any means, but I went into the card not knowing anything except it was Onitas retirement. Once the show started and the first match was a panda vs. a chubby Onita cosplayer, my expectations dropped fast. Ended up going on an Onita kick though and watched his retirement vs. Hayabusa, his match against Great Sasuke and a concession stand brawl from Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

At STARDOM’s show in Korakuen Hall in Japan today Io Shirai defeated Yoko Bito for the Wonder of STARDOM belt. After being defeated Yoko Bito announced that she would be retiring from wrestling and would wrestle one final match on December 24th at Korakuen Hall.

She made her debut on December 31, 2010, wrestling Eri Susa after being one of the members of the first graduating class of STARDOM’s training school ran by Fuka. She made it to the finals of the tournament to crown the first ever World of Stardom Champion, where she lost to Nanae Takahashi. Bito teamed with Yuzuki Aikawa, to take part in the tournament to crown the first ever winners of the Goddess of STARDOM Championship. In the final, Bito and Aikawa defeated Yoshiko and Natsuki Taiyo to become the inaugural champions. Bito and Aikawa held on to the championships throughout the rest of 2011 and into 2012.

In August of 2012, Bito challenged Aikawa for the Wonder of Stardom Championship, where she was unsuccessful. This would turn out to be Bito’s last match before announcing her retirement in November of that year, citing neck and back injuries as her reason and subsequently vacating the Goddess of STARDOM Championship.

After nearly a four-year absence from professional wrestling, Bito announced her return to the ring in April 2016. She made a huge impact during her return to STARDOM, winning the 2016 5?Star Grand Prix tournament, defeating Tessa Blanchard in the finals. She even won the Goddess of STARDOM Championship alongside Kairi Hojo (now Kairi Sane). On September 23rd, Bito defeated Mayu Iwatani to win the Wonder of STARDOM Championship for the first time before dropping it to Io Shirai.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/yoki-bito-announces-retirement/

• 2 weeks later...

Wrestling legend The Great Muta aka Keiji Mutoh will be returning to the United States next month to wrestle stateside for the first time in three years at PCW Ultra‘s anniversary show.

The 54-year-old wrestler’s opponent hasn’t been named yet, but sources tell us Muta will be teaming with Penta El Zero M against John Hennigan and Sami Callihan.

Keiji will also hold a training seminar the next day at Santino Bros. Wrestling Academy.

PCW Ultra owner Mike Scharnagl said in the press release, “Each time we have an event, our goal is to make it better than our prior event. With January 19th being our 2nd anniversary show, we wanted to present the fans something truly special. It doesn’t get more special than The Great Muta, in fact, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness one of the all-time greats in action.”

The event is going down on January 19th in Wilmington, CA and tickets are on-sale now at PCWUltra.com. Check out the hype video below.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/great-muta-wrestle-pcw/#.WiNYmbYZNQI

• 3 weeks later...

At the RISE 6 show on 12/1/17 in Los Angeles, California, RISE owner, Kevin Harvey made a very special announcement regarding the future of RISE. Kevin was joined in the ring by World Wonder Ring Stardom President, Cheerleader Melissa and World Wonder Ring Stardom Owner, Rossy Ogawa.

Kevin announced that RISE wrestlers Shotzi Blackheart, Delilah Doom, Kylie, Dust and Kikyo would be wrestling at the famous Korakuen Hall in Tokyo for Stardoms July events next year.

An insider backstage told us that the wrestlers had no idea this announcement was coming. You can see the honest reaction on their faces when the announcement was made. This is a dream come true for a wrestler and marks a huge step forward for RISE as they continue to establish themselves as one of the top independent female wrestling promotions in the world

Watch the announcement below in this Diva-Dirt exclusive footage:

http://www.diva-dirt.com/141289/indy-stars-selected-japan-tour/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Former three-time Pro Wrestling NOAH Global Honored Crown Junior Heavyweight Champion and former Impact Wrestling X-Division Champion Taiji Ishimori announced after Pro Wrestling NOAHs Great Voyage in Yokohama show that he was leaving the promotion.

If I dont take a big step here, Ishimori said. Ill regret it forever.

Originally trained by Ultimo Dragon and competing in Tourymon, Ishimori jumped to both New Japan and All Japan Pro Wrestling before settling into NOAH in 2006. There he was a six-time Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion along with his singles success.

In 2016, Ishimori teamed with ACH to make it to the finals of New Japan Pro Wrestling's Super Junior Tag Tournament where they beat The Young Bucks in the opening round. They were eliminated by eventual winners Roppongi Vice.

Ishimori's last match with NOAH was at the Yokohama show where he and Hi69 lost the GHC Junior Tag Titles to Yoshinari Ogawa & Minoru Tanaka.

There is no word whether this means the end of his Impact Wrestling appearances as that promotion has a working relationship with NOAH.

More as it becomes available.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=116032

Former Impact Wrestling X Division Champion Taiji Ishimori has announced his departure from the Pro Wrestling NOAH promotion in Japan, and is reportedly hoping to sign with WWE.

In addition to the Impact X Division Championship, Ishimori is also a three-time NOAH Global Honored Crown Junior Heavyweight Champion and six-time Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion, as well as a former Lucha Libre AAA World Tag Team Champion.

The following is a rough Japanese-to-English translation of Ishimori's statement to Yahoo! Japan (https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180312-00147947-nksports-fight):

"It is not possible to fight individually with the front line in the current fight style for ten years, considering that kind of thing, experienced overseas expedition, and had an interest in the outside world Twelve years at Noah, Wrestling career 16 years, I wonder if this is a decision, I will regret my life unless I take the first step here, "he told the reasons for the decision. In Noah, GHC junior heavyweight champion was crowned 3 times. He gained attention from domestic and foreign countries as the main player of Noah Jr., such as the GHC Junior Tag Championship and the Impact Wrestling Impact X - Division throne etc overseas expedition recently. In addition, it was said that he was also inspired by Mr. Shinsuke Nakamura of WWE with friends, Itami · Hideo, and Kota Ibike overseas. Ishimori said, "As a freelance in the future, as Japanese people are active all over the world, I want to keep trying to line up there, WWE is the goal,"

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/51147/Taiji-Ishimori-Leaves-Pro-Wrestling-NOAH-Eyes-Set-on/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pro-Wrestling WAVE announced tonight at their show that Ayako Hamada was arrested for substance abuse and is now in custody.

WAVE also released Ayako Hamada from her contract with the company due to her being taken into custody.

Earlier this week Ayako Hamada had to cancel her title defense against DASH Chisako at Sendai Girl’s show at Azalea Taisho Hall in Osaka, Japan due to what she said was ‘health-related issues’. Sendai Girls announced yesterday after the show that Hamada had returned the belt.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/ayako-hamada-arrested-contract-with-wave-terminated/

• 1 month later...

card for Marufuji's 20 year anniversary event on the 1st of September is out:

Mohammed Yone & Junta Miyawaki vs. Mitsuo Momota & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
Akitoshi Saito, Masao Inoue & Kishin Kawabata vs. Takuma Sano, Tamon Honda & Shiro Koshinaka
Quiet Storm & Tadasuke vs. Takao Omori & Cody Hall
HAYATA & YO-HEY vs. Shuji Kondo & Kaz Hayashi
Hi69, Minoru Tanaka & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Hajime Ohara, Hitoshi Kumano & Seiya Morohashi
Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masa Kitamiya & Taiyo Kea vs. Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshinari Ogawa
Kenou, Atsushi Kotoge & Maybach Taniguchi vs. Sanshiro Takagi, HARASHIMA & Danshoku Dino
Takashi Sugiura & Daisuke Harada vs. Jun Akiyama & Atsushi Aoki
Naomichi Marufuji vs. Hideo Itami

complete mess, but just on the level of participation alone this will easily be the biggest produce show to occur in recent years

Archived