The Puro General Discussion Thread

AssaultDriver720

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6LWy4Tb.jpg

This match would be interesting enough as it is, but with the WWE showing interest in both for their Women's tournament, this outcome will answer a lot of questions. Can't wait

Ended in a 30 minute time limit draw.

Mayu came to the ring after the match with her new White Belt to challenge Io for her Red Belt.

• 2 weeks later...

It was announced earlier today that Kairi Hojos final appearance at STARDOm in Japan would be on June 4th.

Kairi announced that she would be leaving STARDOM earlier this month and teamed with Io Shirai and Mayu Iwatani once last time as threedom.

This will be her final appearance before reporting to WWE as she signed a three year contract with the company earlier this year.

This would free her up in time to appear in WWEs Womens Tournament.

We apologize for inaccurately reporting her final show was at the end of this month.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/kairi-hojos-final-stardom-show-announced/

According to the Wrestling Observer Mayu Iwatani is no longer considering retirement, as previously reported by the site.

Back in the beginning of the year The Wrestling Observer reported that Mayu would be leaving the STARDOM promotion at the end of the year as she was planning to retire. However, plans seemed to have changed.

Stardom is really pushing the 6/21 Korakuen Hall match with Shirai vs. Iwatani for the World of Stardom title, which Shirai has. The story is that Iwatani is the only wrestler in the promotion who has been there from the start, and she also has never won the companys major belt.

Iwatani is also the Wonder of Stardom champion and nobody has ever won both belts at the same time.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/mayu-iwatani-no-longer-considering-retirement/

^ Watched that on my phone when I first woke up. Was browsing FB, and it just popped up...

Pretty funny stuff. I enjoyed all the different characters popping up. But hated how it just ended. I'm guessing it probably made a bit more sense with the Japanese dialogue. Seemed like a group of fans started harassing them, and they just said "*Censored* it" and stopped fighting...but aside from the lackluster ending, it was fun. Bit of a slow pace, but perfectly tolerable. Really reached its full potential when there started being a different character around every corner. My favorites were the janitor and the muay thai fighter. And when Minoru stole the money. :lol: Basically, just something different. Never seen an empty arena match in a baseball stadium before...

It was announced via STARDOM’s social media accounts earlier today that several independent professional wrestlers would be coming over to Japan for STARDOMS 5 Star Grand Prix this year in August.

Not only will current SWA Champion and newly crowned PROGRESS Women’s Champion Toni Storm be returning she will also be joined by the returning Kay Lee Ray and Viper from Scotland.

Women of Honor star Mandy Leon will be making her debut for the promotion alongside England’s Lady Katherine Darcy, and Xia Brookside all of whom will be making their Japan debuts.

STARDOM’s 5?Star Gran Prix kicks of on August 19th of this year.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/several-wrestlers-debuting-for-stardoms-5?star-gran-prix-this-year/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

World Wonder Ring STARDOM held one of the per usual press conferences this morning to announce the official cards for their July 16th and 23rd shows in Tokyo and Osaka. It was reported here yesterday that Shanna had issued a challenge for Kris Wolfs title during Sundays show at Shinkiba 1st RING. The match has been made official.

Also announced for the Korakuen Hall event, is the debuts of Xia Brookside and Mary Apache and Shiki Shibusawa. Brookside and Apache will team up with Gabby Ortiz to take on Hiromi Mimura, Konami and Starlight Kid in trios action. It will be Apaches first time wrestling in Japan in three years. She last competed for Pro Wrestling WAVE back in December of 2014, working multiple tag matches. Shibusawas first match will be a singles match against Natsuko Tora.

On to this months big show The Osaka Edion Arena and its attendees will bear witness to Jungle Kyona and HZK facing off in singles competition just days after challenging Kagetsu and Hana Kimura for the titles. Hiromi Mimura will be taking on AZM and Mayu Iwatani will have her second title defense within a week after going up against Yoko Bito. She defends the Wonder of STARDOM Championship against Viper in her return to the promotion.

It was also announced that Michiko Ohmukai would be coming out of retirement for a one-time appearance on July 23rd, as she wrestles alongside Konami and Yoko Bito and to take on Oedo Tai.

For those not familiar with Ohmukai, she began her career with FMW back in 1993 and went on to work for promotions such as Ladies Legend Pro Wrestling (LLPW-X), Wrestle Association-R, a promotion founded and run by Genichiro Tenryu, Jd Star and ARSION where she became a two-time Twin Stars of ARSION Champion among other promotions. She even managed to work a New Japan show and be a part of a ten-woman tag team match back in 2002, making it one of the few times the company has included women on its card. She retired from the sport after wrestling for fifteen years in December of 2007. The now- mother of two will be stepping foot back in the ring for what could be a one shot deal turned into a career resurgence elsewhere.

Yoko Bito and Konami will be wrestling at the Japan Expo in France on July 6-9th.

July 16th: Korakuen Hall (Tokyo, Japan):

AZM vs Ruaka

Shiki Shibusawa vs Natsuko Tora

Goddesses of STARDOM Championship: Kagetsu© & Hana Kimura© vs HZK & Jungle Kyona

High Speed Championship: Shanna vs Kris Wolf©

Konami, Hiromi Mimura & Starlight Kid vs Mary Apache, Xia Brookside & Gabby Ortiz

World of STARDOM Championship: Mayu Iwatani© vs Yoko Bito

July 23rd: Osaka Edion Arena (Osaka, Japan):

Gabby Ortiz & Xia Brookside vs Kaori Yoneyama & Natsuko Tora

Hiromi Mimura vs AZM

Starlight Kid & Shiki Shibusawa vs Ruaka & Hanan

Mary Apache vs Shanna

Michiko Ohmukai, Yoko Bito & Konami vs Kagetsu, Hana Kimura & Kris Wolf

Wonder of STARDOM Championship: Mayu Iwatani© vs Viper

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/mayu-iwatani-will-defend-the-wonder-of-stardom-championship-against-viper-more-matches-announced/

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone that follows DDT have any opinions on Konosuke Takeshita? I just heard today that Meltzer said he could be the best wrestler in the world in a few years.

He's rly good; that's a statement that has *some* potential validity when considering his age and the quality of his recent performances (not necessarily overly outstanding or consistent imo, but generally demonstrative of a maturity and poise beyond his years - e.g. he's already extremely credible in the main event/champion role)

Look-wise he is a good/typical fit for DDT (and similar sized promotions) but would probs seem v out of place anywhere bigger atm (in the same aesthetic vein as a lot of the top lvl DDT guys who never moved up anywhere else, though I think he has a greater long-term/possible upside when compared to a kudo or harashima)

I saw a bit of one of his matches that's on youtube and thought he had a good enough look. Does he have a strong gimmick yet? Also do you know if he's drawing well for DDT? I hadn't heard of him before but I don't really follow or hear much about DDT.

But yeah, it seems pretty impressive he's already a two time top champ at 22.

I saw a bit of one of his matches that's on youtube and thought he had a good enough look. Does he have a strong gimmick yet? Also do you know if he's drawing well for DDT? I hadn't heard of him before but I don't really follow or hear much about DDT.

He def does not have strong or usual ‘zany’ DDT-style gimmick lol...atm it’s basically ‘young guy who was a fan of the company before he started training and is now champion after rising rly fast out of their developmental’ – that kind of straight-laced presentation actually isn’t atypical for top lvl guys in the company though, so they still put him over huge like you’d expect with any other main eventer and obvs see a lot in him long-term (they’re doing a big slow burn build for a feud between him and his former partner for example)

Am 100% not someone who has focuses on or generally even looks at attendances tbh, but as far as I’m aware they’re still doing well enough; still #3 in the country etc

idk if he has actually been champion at the time of any of their major shows yet (they’re about to do the smaller of their 2 yearly big events next month though) so it’s kind of hard to speak about him specifically being a draw

Credit: Dragon Gate

"Beginning on August 5th in Kyoto and continuing through September 16th in Osaka all five units will participate in a league series called the 5 Unit Survival Race. During this time period, all matches between units will be considered league matches, regardless of match composition. All units will participate in an equal number of matches during league play. Title matches, dark matches, and any match that also involves an unaffiliated wrestler will not be counted. The bottom two ranking teams at the end of league play will face off in a Unit Disbands match on September 18th at Dangerous Gate. The composition of this match will be determined by the amount of members of the participating units. For example, if both units have five members but a member of one of the units has a scheduled championship match then the disbandment match will be done 4 vs. 4."

The participating units are:
Jimmyz
Verserk
Over Generation
Tribe Vanguard
MaxiMuM

He def does not have strong or usual ‘zany’ DDT-style gimmick lol...atm it’s basically ‘young guy who was a fan of the company before he started training and is now champion after rising rly fast out of their developmental’ – that kind of straight-laced presentation actually isn’t atypical for top lvl guys in the company though, so they still put him over huge like you’d expect with any other main eventer and obvs see a lot in him long-term (they’re doing a big slow burn build for a feud between him and his former partner for example)

Am 100% not someone who has focuses on or generally even looks at attendances tbh, but as far as I’m aware they’re still doing well enough; still #3 in the country etc

idk if he has actually been champion at the time of any of their major shows yet (they’re about to do the smaller of their 2 yearly big events next month though) so it’s kind of hard to speak about him specifically being a draw.

Understood. Thanks for the info, dude :)

• 2 weeks later...

A report by MMA website MiddleEasy.com noted today that Japanese star Yoshihiro Takayama, 50 years old, has been paralyzed from the neck down after suffering an injury last May while wrestling in Osaka, Japan for the DDT promotion.

Takayama first broke into the business working for the UWFI before moving on to All Japan Pro Wrestling. He fought in several of the early PRIDE events, including a famous fight against Don Frye and was renowned for the level of physical punishment he was able to endure while legitimately fighting. After the passing of Giant Baba and formation of NOAH, Takayama moved to that promotion. In recent years, Takayama had been working primarily for DDT.

Over the course of his career, he held the All Japan Triple Crown, New Japan's IWGP Heavyweight championship and the NOAH Global Honored Crown Heavyweight championship. He is one of only two men, the other being Kensuke Sasaki to accomplish that feat.

While Takayama's injury occurred in May, the seriousness of his medical condition came to light today. It was noted in the article that his family is having financial issues revolving around his medical care. There is no word, yet, as to how fans can assist.

Obviously, we wish Takayama and his family the best.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=111417

Original report: http://middleeasy.com/mma-news/mma-pro-wrestling-legend-yoshihiro-takayama-paralyzed-wrestling-accident/

Archived