Tell us the good stuff going on right now in your life

AlterNation

Been thinking of getting a new pc myself. How much did your new rig cost?

About $1500. More than I wanted to spend, but it will be worth it if it has all the stuff it's supposed to, and if it arrives in working condition, and doesn't die in a month. Lol. Which all remains to be seen.

I don't really want or need a "gaming PC" per say, but I wanted one that could handle whatever I could conceivably throw at it (photo and video editing, maybe games, maybe VR, multitasking, whatever)...so I went above and beyond what I really felt like spending.

In other good news, the arrival date for said PC also got pushed up a bit. I heard a lot of negative reviews about shipping...more specifically, about the estimated arrival dates being way off. But it seems like mine is coming sooner rather than later.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my new computer today. It's super quiet, very fast...and awesome all around...but I'm having some confusion about the way the drives are set up. It has an SSD for the OS itself, so the C drive is on that. Then it has a 2Tb hdd for the D drive...but I obviously need the bulk of my storage for things that I save and download. I'm reading mixed comments about this kind of setup. Some say you can just save right to D and it will be fine...others are saying that D is for data and backup (but it obviously doesn't need 2Tb for that). I paid for a decent amount of storage. How the hell do I properly use it? I've never had an SSD in a computer before, or more to the point...I've never had the OS on one drive and storage on another. :lol: I'm feeling kind of lost.

I see drop down menus for choosing to save downloads, photos, music, etc directly to D...and the fact that they have that option makes me think it's just preference for how fast you want things to load(?)...the OS and whatever is on C will load fast because it's SSD, and the stuff on D will load slower because it's hdd? But it should still be perfectly fine to save stuff on there?

Got my new computer today. It's super quiet, very fast...and awesome all around...but I'm having some confusion about the way the drives are set up. It has an SSD for the OS itself, so the C drive is on that. Then it has a 2Tb hdd for the D drive...but I obviously need the bulk of my storage for things that I save and download. I'm reading mixed comments about this kind of setup. Some say you can just save right to D and it will be fine...others are saying that D is for data and backup (but it obviously doesn't need 2Tb for that). I paid for a decent amount of storage. How the hell do I properly use it? I've never had an SSD in a computer before, or more to the point...I've never had the OS on one drive and storage on another. :lol: I'm feeling kind of lost.

I see drop down menus for choosing to save downloads, photos, music, etc directly to D...and the fact that they have that option makes me think it's just preference for how fast you want things to load(?)...the OS and whatever is on C will load fast because it's SSD, and the stuff on D will load slower because it's hdd? But it should still be perfectly fine to save stuff on there?

If I remember correctly, SSD helps your computer be faster because it loads the OS and shit, while the HHD is what you normally save things in as usual. I'm probably remembering wrong, but I know that the main purpose of SSD is to help your computer be faster.

So in the years that I've been absent I kinda got my shit together in terms of my personal life. I got a pretty decent job and was even a manager in my department for a bit before steeping down to go back to being a regular employee (a lot of bullshit got thrown at our direction and at my direction. Basically management played the political BS game). It pays well and I get paid every week, which is helpful with all of the hobbies I have and life stuff. Of life stuff I have my own place and it is super nice and affordable. But most importantly I'm married now.

So in the years that I've been absent I kinda got my shit together in terms of my personal life. I got a pretty decent job and was even a manager in my department for a bit before steeping down to go back to being a regular employee (a lot of bullshit got thrown at our direction and at my direction. Basically management played the political BS game). It pays well and I get paid every week, which is helpful with all of the hobbies I have and life stuff. Of life stuff I have my own place and it is super nice and affordable. But most importantly I'm married now.

Its awesome to see you back Poe. Congrats on getting married by the wat.

Found that I could download legacy photoshop software (old versions) through the official site. So, I was able to download the version that I have a serial code for (since I can't find my damn disc). I would say which version...but people would laugh at me *cough* Elements 9 *cough* . So, anyway...I was able to get that back on my new PC without any problems. Now I'm just missing some plugins that I had...which majorly sucks, because I actually used a few of those pretty frequently. Unfortunately, the one bundle of plugins was free way back when I originally grabbed it, and these days it's been bought by a different company and now sells for something like 60 bucks. Meh.

Found that I could download legacy photoshop software (old versions) through the official site. So, I was able to download the version that I have a serial code for (since I can't find my damn disc). I would say which version...but people would laugh at me *cough* Elements 9 *cough* . So, anyway...I was able to get that back on my new PC without any problems. Now I'm just missing some plugins that I had...which majorly sucks, because I actually used a few of those pretty frequently. Unfortunately, the one bundle of plugins was free way back when I originally grabbed it, and these days it's been bought by a different company and now sells for something like 60 bucks. Meh.

I need photoshop badly. Any ideas where I can get an older version for cheap? Im not shelling out $700 for the current version.

Yeah, GIMP is fine, tbh.

I only have photoshop because it came with my Bamboo tablet. That's why it's such a cheap and watered down version. Honestly, GIMP does almost everything that photoshop does anyway. I just like PSE9 because I've grown familiar with the layout. There's a chance that the most recent version of GIMP is even better than the photoshop that I have (it probably is).

I know it's silly, but Mick Foley and Cesaro liking two of my tweets in the last weeks gave me a smile. :lol:

Foley for me buying a Cactus Jack Wanted Dead shirt

gKBVwm6.png

Cesaro for me pulling Switzerland as one of my teams in my work's World Cup sweepstake

JvgAXVe.png

Well, Im out of rehab. Got out Monday to be exact. They had me do like a triple punch session. Did some AA meetings, did some therapy sessions and got to the root of all my issues. I can honestly say I feel so much better. I appreciate my family for giving me tough love and my friends telling me what I needed to hear instead of sugar coating stuff. Havent had a drink since I was taken into the facility and I dont plan on having a drink again anytime soon. Ive learned what patience is, Ive learned how to ease my mind once I feel like slipping. I keep a journal now. Its a little old fashioned but, its been helping. Along with something else, were not allowed to discuss on here. But Im much more zen now. So thanks to all of you who chimed in and gave your opinions and thoughts. Ill never forget that. Cheers to being back! :)

Well, Im out of rehab. Got out Monday to be exact. They had me do like a triple punch session. Did some AA meetings, did some therapy sessions and got to the root of all my issues. I can honestly say I feel so much better. I appreciate my family for giving me tough love and my friends telling me what I needed to hear instead of sugar coating stuff. Havent had a drink since I was taken into the facility and I dont plan on having a drink again anytime soon. Ive learned what patience is, Ive learned how to ease my mind once I feel like slipping. I keep a journal now. Its a little old fashioned but, its been helping. Along with something else, were not allowed to discuss on here. But Im much more zen now. So thanks to all of you who chimed in and gave your opinions and thoughts. Ill never forget that. Cheers to being back! :)

Welcome back man. Its awesome you feel better. :)

Welcome back man. Its awesome you feel better. :)
Thank you Ryder!

Well this is BS and ended good so ill do it here, had to take my best friends mom to the ER. His car wouldn't make it down her dirt road and going fast to the ER. But her Blood pressure was EXTREMELY HIGH, I'm talking 244 Over 190! Well THANK GOD she had some medication to take, I drove as fast as I could to pick my best friend, then got his mom. Drove again as fast as I could(this time with flashers) got her in, he also went back, waited in the waiting room for 2 and a half hours. Snack machine worked but the dang soda machine didnt. Saw some like come up dude come out of the ERA, said some crazy things. Went outside, and Forest Gump ran lol, but WAY by then her BP stabled and took the Dr forever to show. Got her done and was able to take her home. I'm not gonna sleep tonight since I didn't take my sleeping pills in time. But just glad she is ok. She always treated me like her own son

Archived