Tell us the good stuff going on right now in your life

AlterNation

I'm going to try, REALLY try, to see if I can save up enough money to go to WrestleMania next year. It's probably my best chance.

Anyone have an average for how much is spent if I want to go to Axxess, TakeOver, Mania and RAW?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an average for how much is spent if I want to go to Axxess, TakeOver, Mania and RAW?

That will be a lot.

If you want to just go to mania, it wouldn't be that bad.

Also gotta account the fact he'll have to get plane tickets and a hotel as well

Is it really worth all that money for mania when the main event is probably just gonna have Roman Reigns, Triple H, or Brock Lesnar sucking it up again? I mean the rest of the card could still be great but when the main focus is on those guys it means less emphasis on the better half of the roster. I guess for the whole being able to experience it in person thing than it's worth it but much like the superbowl I think it might be better to watch it at home in HD . I'm strictly thinking of all that cash so my perspective is skewed in that direction.

Finally *censored*ing finished uni. Granted I haven't failed, I'll be graduating in summer.

I'm also hoping to save up and go to Mania next year. Always wanted to go (obviously) and also want to go to NYC. Hoping to go to Mania, Takeover, RAW, SD and maybe a couple of indy shows (i.e. get wasted at Joey Janela's Spring Break). If I have enough money that is...

Well my first Free Comic Book Day was a success as an owner. Much bigger turnout and excitement than I expected for a smaller area. Can't wait for next year already!

You own your own comic book shop?

Yeah kinda. It's getting there, lol. It's a pretty good sized video store. We rent, buy, and sell games and movies mostly. Been here for about 15 years now and I took over a couple years ago. I just added comics and some collectibles back in October. Get new stuff every week and it's still growing so it's been fun. The only thing I need to really start adding is more back issues. Figured it would be a cool way to offset numbers when rentals are slow. My wife is adding tanning too, lol. I never intended on it but I guess we'll just try and do everything in town lol. I'm more focused on Movies and Comics right now personally. I'm more passionate about it.

I have to say I've heard some horror stories about Diamond but I've been pretty fortunate so far with limited damage or missing orders.

My wife is adding tanning too, lol. I never intended on it but I guess we'll just try and do everything in town lol. I'm more focused on Movies and Comics right now personally. I'm more passionate about it.

Careful adding too much shit...or you'll lose your primary demographic. Especially with something as random as tanning. Movie and comic nerds tend to be a specific breed of people. You run the risk of chasing them off if you always have people coming in to tan.

My wife is adding tanning too, lol. I never intended on it but I guess we'll just try and do everything in town lol. I'm more focused on Movies and Comics right now personally. I'm more passionate about it.

Careful adding too much shit...or you'll lose your primary demographic. Especially with something as random as tanning. Movie and comic nerds tend to be a specific breed of people. You run the risk of chasing them off if you always have people coming in to tan.

Well a lot of video stores actually do tanning as a side gig so it's not really as random as you may think. Plus it's in the back portion of the building away from anything else. So really won't effect anything. If anything the comics would steer tanners away because of the demographic. The idea is to also create a location isn't designed strictly for basement dwellers like many shops are guilty of doing. So far it's been working out great with people of all kinds coming in. I don't have table top or card gaming atm so while I get those types in all the time, they don't hang around and make it theirs so to speak. It's important to make it comfortable for everyone and not scare women away. Moms are the ones that bring their kids in after all.

I ain't gonna tell you how to run your place.

Just reminds me of this old boss I used to have at a fancy restaurant. Every week he was talking about some new addition that he wanted to add to the place...and the maitre d would always need to talk him out of it.

I mean...this place was fine dining, and this guy always wanted to add a steakhouse upstairs, a popcorn machine in the foyer, etc. If he was allowed to do half the shit he wanted to do, we would have lost all of our regulars.

Man was a walking gimmick. :lol:

Yeah my dad works at an Italian restaurant and the boss is a big comic book fan so every few months he holds a comic sale within the restaurant. It's cool and a big deal when it happens and doesn't seem super weird because it's not an every day thing. Imagine Italian food and comics as a regular thing?

I think Italian food is an exception, because the entire idea of most Italian restaurants is that they're laid back, and make you feel like family. Also, Italian isn't really considered high-class eats. You go to an Italian restaurant when you want to eat good food and be loud and drunk. So...gimmick stuff is fine there. Italian restaurants absolutely should have arcade cabinets in the foyer and stuff. But...not high-end fancy restaurants, like this was. That guy was a complete doofus. He had the worst ideas for that place. Lol.

And ironically, he was Italian. Outrageously so. He used to own a pizza place, which is why he had these gimmick-ass ideas for this place. :lol: I mean...this place was built in the year 1800. It was located in a "high society" area. All of the regulars were rich pricks. You really can't fly gimmicky cheese by people like that. Hahaha.

Well, at least bdon's idea is pretty good. Though, adding steakhouse was a good idea too. Isn't steakhouse kinda fancy as well?

They sold steak in the main restaurant. He wanted to sell cheaper cuts of steak upstairs. It would have been a shitload of overhead just to split the building into different areas...and we constantly ran out of seating for that place. It wasn't like the upstairs was empty. We seated up there. It was a bad idea. Lol.

I ain't gonna tell you how to run your place.

Just reminds me of this old boss I used to have at a fancy restaurant. Every week he was talking about some new addition that he wanted to add to the place...and the maitre d would always need to talk him out of it.

I mean...this place was fine dining, and this guy always wanted to add a steakhouse upstairs, a popcorn machine in the foyer, etc. If he was allowed to do half the shit he wanted to do, we would have lost all of our regulars.

Man was a walking gimmick. :lol:

Nah it's all good man. It's things I've definitely considered. Just trying to make the best of what I can. A business is tough enough as it is. In a smaller area it's that much harder to introduce new things. We're in a town that has never really had an outlet for comics. The closest one was always 45 minutes away or more. The tanning thing is just a service to offer on the side and already have a lot of buzz so I like the odds. Plus i'm not in it for much so it's a risk I can take without it hurting us. Since we've always been a video store first. It kind of helps funding the side projects. It may take a bit for some people to see it as a comic shop too but it doesn't give it an automatic stigma at the same time.

Archived