Tell us the good stuff going on right now in your life

AlterNation

How do you know you're not imagining someone you've seen before? Sure, you can imagine someone with horns - but their face is still something you've seen before. You can change a face (CM punk eyes on Sheamus face) but it'll still be a product of things you've seen.

It's like how you can't think of a new colour, or a new voice as was said. It's the only thing that makes sense, really.

That's why I said it's getting into the realm of philosophical bullshit. I don't know how there could technically be any scientific proof of that being the case...so it's nothing but philosophy. And there's nothing wrong with it being philosophy.

And really...you can think of a color that you've never seen before...but it will be a shade of one of the colors that exists...it has to be. You can think of a hue of color that you've never specifically seen in your life...there are literally billions of colors that can possibly exist...and you surely haven't seen them all. You can imagine one that you haven't specifically seen. But what you were saying is that you can't imagine a person who doesn't exist. That's not true. You're kinda going back on what you said. Yeah...if you imagine a human that doesn't exist, it will have eyes and a nose and a mouth, etc...because that's what a human is...but that imagined person doesn't specifically need to have the eyes of your neighbor and the nose of your ex wife, and the mouth of the mailman...that's just silly rhetoric, with nothing to back such a claim.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you know you're not imagining someone you've seen before? Sure, you can imagine someone with horns - but their face is still something you've seen before. You can change a face (CM punk eyes on Sheamus face) but it'll still be a product of things you've seen.

It's like how you can't think of a new colour, or a new voice as was said. It's the only thing that makes sense, really.

That's why I said it's getting into the realm of philosophical bullshit. I don't know how there could technically be any scientific proof of that being the case...so it's nothing but philosophy. And there's nothing wrong with it being philosophy.

And really...you can think of a color that you've never seen before...but it will be a shade of one of the colors that exists...it has to be. You can think of a hue of color that you've never specifically seen in your life...there are literally billions of colors that can possibly exist...and you surely haven't seen them all. You can imagine one that you haven't specifically seen. But what you were saying is that you can't imagine a person who doesn't exist. That's not true. You're kinda going back on what you said. Yeah...if you imagine a human that doesn't exist, it will have eyes and a nose and a mouth, etc...because that's what a human is...that's just silly rhetoric.

I only really said that when you dream you only dream of people you've seen. I don't see why that it so difficult to believe. Imagine all the faces you've seen in your life

EDIT: Also I said new color, not a color you hadn't seen before. It's not the same thing. Read, damn you. I also never once said you couldn't think up a person that didn't exist in real life. I really quite clearly only said that when you dream, you dream of people you've seen.

And really...you can think of a color that you've never seen before...but it will be a shade of one of the colors that exists...it has to be. You can think of a hue of color that you've never specifically seen in your life...there are literally billions of colors that can possibly exist...and you surely haven't seen them all. You can imagine one that you haven't specifically seen. But what you were saying is that you can't imagine a person who doesn't exist. That's not true. You're kinda going back on what you said. Yeah...if you imagine a human that doesn't exist, it will have eyes and a nose and a mouth, etc...because that's what a human is...that's just silly rhetoric.

I only really said that when you dream you only dream of people you've seen. I don't see why that it so difficult to believe. Imagine all the faces you've seen in your life

EDIT: Also I said new color, not a color you hadn't seen before. It's not the same thing. Read, damn you. I also never once said you couldn't think up a person that didn't exist in real life. I really quite clearly only said that when you dream, you dream of people you've seen.

I have to disagree with the bolded. I have had dreams about people I've never seen in my life, and had no relation to whatsoever.

EDIT: Also I said new color, not a color you hadn't seen before. It's not the same thing. Read, damn you.

It's not difficult to believe that you COULD dream of random people that you've seen...I'm just saying, if you can imagine people you've never seen before while you're awake...then why would you be limited to only seeing people you've seen before while you're dreaming? That doesn't make any sense.

Ignoring your color comment because it's absurd. That's fundamentally an entirely different subject. Color is not a tangible thing...it's a concept in and of itself.

EDIT: Also I said new color, not a color you hadn't seen before. It's not the same thing. Read, damn you.

It's not difficult to believe that you COULD dream of random people that you've seen...I'm just saying, if you can imagine people you've never seen before while you're awake...then why would you be limited to only seeing people you've seen before while you're dreaming? That doesn't make any sense.

Ignoring your color comment because it's absurd. That's fundamentally an entirely different subject. Color is not a tangible thing...it's a concept in and of itself.

Your argument is based on it being factual that you're actually capable of imagining totally 100% original faces when you're awake, though.

I dunno. People have done studies and apparently found out that you only dream of people you've seen, I dunno what else to say, really.

EDIT @Fulgore - Supposedly your brain stores way more than you think, and even though you don't remember people they're still in your dreams. Imagine all the faces you've seen in your life, and it seems less likely that you're dreaming about people you've never seen - and more likely you just forgot about them.. The brain is weird, and stores way more than we use.

I dunno. People have done studies and apparently found out that you only dream of people you've seen, I dunno what else to say, really.

But how could they possibly begin to claim that they know that? They could make a guess that that's what's happening, based on areas of the brain that store information about faces lighting up or something...but, really...that's grasping at straws. There's no proof that you can't imagine a face that you've never seen.

Anyway, I need to head to work. :cool:

Mustacio is right. Have you guys not heard of the subconscious mind? that's what it is man. It stores everything that ever happened to you including people you met, places you visited etc. It's there forever and while dreaming, as your conscious mind goes to sleep, your subconscious mind is still awake and that is how the connection is made to the dreams. Think of it as a computer with a hard-drive. You can access the files that are stored on that hard-drive. You can't access something that doesn't exist on the hard drive. You are able to manipulate and change the way those files appear to you or merge them together but you can't add files or data that doesn't exist.

Your argument is based on it being factual that you're actually capable of imagining totally 100% original faces when you're awake, though.

EDIT @Fulgore - Supposedly your brain stores way more than you think, and even though you don't remember people they're still in your dreams. Imagine all the faces you've seen in your life, and it seems less likely that you're dreaming about people you've never seen - and more likely you just forgot about them.. The brain is weird, and stores way more than we use.

I am a spiritual person, and I personally believe there could be a way for us to tap into that part of our brain. I believe it's probably through meditation, or something like that. I think humanity will learn more as time goes on, as long as we don't completely destroy ourselves first.

Mustacio is right. Have you guys not heard of the subconscious mind? that's what it is man. It stores everything that ever happened to you including people you met, places you visited etc. It's there forever and while dreaming, as your conscious mind goes to sleep, your subconscious mind is still awake and that is how the connection is made to the dreams. Think of it as a computer with a hard-drive. You can access the files that are stored on that hard-drive. You can't access something that doesn't exist on the hard drive. You are able to manipulate and change the way those files appear to you or merge them together but you can't add files or data that doesn't exist.

^This

Also, people who're born blind don't dream in pictures. Because they have no reference pictures in their brain to piece together dreams from.

I am a spiritual person, and I personally believe there could be a way for us to tap into that part of our brain. I believe it's probably through meditation, or something like that. I think humanity will learn more as time goes on, as long as we don't completely destroy ourselves first.

I don't think that is something you can learn. It is a gifted ability to rare people who have photographic memories and such. Your subconscious has ll that information, it's dependent on your concious memory to recall that information and how good it is at that. We might evolve into being better at recalling information with a lot more accuracy. I just can't imagine having a perfect recall of everything that ever happened or seen. My brain would explode.

Speaking of which, there is a Film and a tv series by the name of "Limitless" which is based on that. Bradley cooper taking this drug which opens up his brain to it's highest potential and having perfect recall. Pretty cool.

I've seen the film, haven't watched the series yet. By tapping into, I don't mean being able to recall every memory, because even I wouldn't want to do that. I think there are a lot of questions surrounding our brain yet. The best I can describe it is Limitless without having to take the pill.

I'm still not buying it. I guess I just think deeper than that. That's one explanation for something, but it's just a theory. I don't believe theories...I make my own.

Don't believe in theories

Make own theories

Logical impass regarding believability of own theories

???

Profit

I'm still not buying it. I guess I just think deeper than that. That's one explanation for something, but it's just a theory. I don't believe theories...I make my own.

Don't believe in theories

Make own theories

Logical impass regarding believability of own theories

???

Profit

LOL was just about to say that. Or something like that.

So you don't believe in theories (which are stated as facts in this case) that make sense but believe on theories you make up yourself that have no logical explanation. I would hardly call that a deeper thinking. You are just willing to believe you can conjure up a face you have never seen before with features distinct from any face you have ever seen in your life and completely original for whatever reason.

Archived