Abyss on Why He Didn't Sign with WWE In 2006, Plans for a Feud with The Undertaker, More

Ziggy Vercetti

"The new episode of Jim Ross' "Ross Report" podcast features TNA star Abyss. You can listen to the full episode at this link

http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report

Ross asked for the scoop on whether or not WWE offered him a contract years ago. Abyss said John Laurinaitis, who was then Head of Talent Relations, offered him a job with an immediate main event push. Tommy Dreamer worked beneath Big Johnny in WWEs head office at the time and orchestrated a conversation between Chris Park and WWE when Abyss' TNA contract was coming up in 2006. Abyss said he decided not to go at the last minute. Tommy Dreamer called it "stage fright" but Abyss said it was just very hard to leave TNA. He said that he helped build TNA from the ground up, adding that 2005-2006 was one of the hottest times for the company. He said, I would rather have been part of something... versus taking the chance of going somewhere and just being a number.

Abyss said he has friends in WWE and hes incredibly appreciative for the offer, adding: Im sure its an amazing place to work.

JR asked what the creative plans for Abyss might have been and Abyss said he was supposed to debut at the 2007 Royal Rumble. From there he would have started a rivalry with the The Undertaker, which would have ended at WrestleMania 23 in Detroit. JR said Abyss is an honorable man for choosing to stay with TNA, joking that most wrestlers would give up just about anything for that opportunity."

Source LOP

Lmao...I don't really believe Abyss being offered a main event push in WWE...not really at all. :lol:

Tommy Dreamer told the same story too on Stone Cold's podcast. Tommy worked in the office for WWE at the time so I believe him.

I don't believe they would bring him in for a Mania spot vs Taker. At all. Don't doubt they offered him something but no way would it be a Mania slot with the #1 guy.

Wrestlemania 23 was kind of the first year where Takers match had to be one of the main attractions purely on the streak alone. Like the two years prior were Mark Henry and Randy Orton so I wouldn't put them past debuting Abyss in a Khali esq fashion to lead into a Mania match. I mean, if the stuff revolving Hade Varsen was true then I don't see it being too far fetched at all.

I could so imagine WWE doing a storyline where Abyss and Demon Kane are heated rivals. In the ring they beat the living hell out of each other in WWE's most extreme matches. However, Corporate Kane and Joseph Parks are best friends backstage who are unaware of each other's aliases. So, after matches they arrange activities like going to amusement parks and meeting up for ice cream.

I could so imagine WWE doing a storyline where Abyss and Demon Kane are heated rivals. In the ring they beat the living hell out of each other in WWE's most extreme matches. However, Corporate Kane and Joseph Parks are best friends backstage who are unaware of each other's aliases. So, after matches they arrange activities like going to amusement parks and meeting up for ice cream.

This is the best thing I have ever read.

the best :XD:

Have to respect him for staying with TNA. As JR said, most people would do anything for that opportunity. Shit, most people would do anything just to be at a WWE tryout camp. I think the Abyss character could have been a great opponent for Undertaker, especially if they brought in James Mitchell with him as his handler.

I wonder if/how previous TNA wrestlers going for "greener pastures" affected his decision though. I'm pretty sure that Braden Walker came after, but Kazarian went to WWE in 2005 IIRC and was promised big things but ultimately left on his own terms because they clearly had no plans to ever make the Cruiserweight Division anything worthwhile.

I'd be strangely okay with this.

MONEY.

He didn't say that he was supposed to, he said that the 'word on the street' and he was led to believe that he would debut at the Royal Rumble and then may work with Undertaker at WrestleMania 23. Remember that this was before the Steak was a major selling point of WrestleMania. It wasn't until WrestleMania 24 against Edge (streak vs streak, streak vs title) that they made it the main part of the story.

I believe it for sure. Abyss was a true monster back then; a great talent.

MONEY.

Plz do it

MONEY.

Plz do it

I second it.

Archived