Step-by-Step Submission System Tutorial

The New Blueguy

Interesting note - even the CPU has trouble making the CPU submit. I turned it to legend and pitted Daniel Bryan against Rusev, in a submission match, and they've been going for over 4 hours already; and they're constantly going for the submission. I think that says it right there. The AI of the game can't handle the game mechanics. There's an issue.

The AI in the game is poor and generally can't do half the stuff a player can.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am playing on hard and I've won about four matches via submission now. I do realize that the system is ridiculous, but not because of the idea behind it, but because of how it fails to work at times.

Here's would I would suggest.
As the attacker, the first thing you should do after slightly moving your bar is to quickly go the other way, and to slightly tap the boost once to do so. You'll realize it's much easier to catch up to the defender's bar that way. The thing people should work on is keeping the bars overlapped. It is sort of tricky, but some practice can help.

The new system is crap.

Ok so I've spent another day trying to get this.

I've come to the conclusion it's never going to come to me, I just can't do it :( . I've been playing wrestling games since Warzone and never had a problem like this before. I'm hardly a noob to this, I must just suck.

Im the same.

Hold the stick to the edge and slowly move it around and you'll see that it responds. The change in direction isn't instant, so don't flick it and just move it gently back the other way, all while holding the stick out to the edge and moving it around in a circle.

That being said, it's still shit. It's mega hard to catch the AI, and hard to get away. The little yellow circle thing you have to get doesn't show up all the time and I don't get why it's there at all.

I'm playing on easy, Daniel Bryan vs Heath Slater and it still took me a good 15 minutes to beat him by submission. He's completely red and bleeding at that point. I understand hard, but it isn't realistic.

The issue for me isn't the system, it's how quickly the red area drains when the AI gets away from you. The only issue with tweaking that is that I can imagine it being legit impossible to escape if a submission is put on you by the AI.

Quite honestly, the button bashing system sucked too. I'm glad theyve tried something new, but it certainly doesn't work very well yet. I think they should have stuck with the same system as the rest hold and chain wrestling. Whoever wins like best of 3 or 5 of those submits. Damage can make the starting red circle bigger and smaller which helps with the advantage and not tapping at the start of the game.

This submission system can work, but it definitely needs some tweaking. All I can hope for is a patch and not waiting until next year. I wonder if they tested this game at all though to be honest.

I didn't do too many Submissions yet, but in one match I tried to submit someone with the Tongan Death Grip and it took me three tries. I don't think it was so much a damage issue as the Jobber CAW I was beating up was like all red each time, but more of a learning thing. Make sure you have a decent amount of Stamina and put them away ASAP using the boost.

Just added more specific techniques to thread. Also, something I just tested for those people whose bars are completely unresponsive. As soon as the submission starts, tap the boost button (L2 or LT - correction from before) once. Your bar should respond at normal speed now. DO NOT hold down the boost because it will just drain your stamina while the bar goes nuts.

1. When attacking (RED) during a submission, you must chase the defender (BLUE) and overlap their bar using the right-stick, to complete the submission hold.

2. When defending a submission (BLUE), using the right-stick, you must move your bar away from the attacker (RED) and keep it away until you escape the hold.

3. As the attacker (RED), you must overlap the defender (BLUE) until their bar turns completely yellow.

4. As the attacker (RED), you can wear down the defender (BLUE) by simply touching their bar and it will turn yellow the more you touch as the hold goes on, allowing you to eventually overlap them completely.

5. Catch the glowing orb to escape the hold faster (BLUE) or submit the opponent faster (RED). Depending on who grabs the orb, either the defender (BLUE) moves further away or the attacker (RED) moves closer to touching.

6. You can also use the Boost option (Triangle or Y), to make your bar faster allowing you to either escape (BLUE) or submit the opponent faster (RED). However, this method means that the accuracy of the bar is harder to control. NOTE: Whether or not the boost option is available depends on your current stamina level. You must have at least 50% of your stamina to use the boost option.

More specific tips/techniques:

Gently push the right stick left or right (almost like rocking) in the opposite direction but towards their blue bar. Be patient and just wait for them to move and respond with the opposite move but towards them. If you're using low damage submissions apart from your finish as part of your wear down strategy, remember you're not aiming for the finish yet. Your reason for rocking left and right is to bait the opponent into chipping away at their bar little by little.

If you mix up limb damage grapples and working holds, you can actually submit opponents even on Legend without ever touching boost. However, if you need to use boost, think of it like a gas pedal. Only tap it as you need it. Try not to hold it. And even then, don't worry about the opponent boosting away from you. The rocking motion almost guarantees that they'll overshoot and eventually boost their bar onto yours.

And on defense, the strategy is the same. Also remember on defense, you're simply buying time. Use the rocking motion and boost accordingly to play keep away. You're only waiting for the circle to fill blue or better yet, the opponent to burn stamina to let go.

thank you for this! It really helped me out a lot!

I think I'm finally getting better at submissions...but I've still lost to them WAY more than I've lost to pins. I think the "my career" part where you train to perform the torture rack in the NXT arena helped me a bit...but I could probably spend an entire day just trying submissions and still not be great at them. I don't think I'll ever be great at them.

I've said it before, but the trick to submitting an opponent, at least in terms of an AI opponent, is to trick it in to going in to an easy to predict pattern where they use up their stamina where you don't as much. I can't really explain the one I use (I would have no clue how) but it's easy to recognize once you've got them in to it.

Ok I have no idea what happened but after days of frustration I've actually got it!

I have no idea how it happened, I wasn't doing anything different than I was before, it's like something just clicked on in my head and I submitted someone!! Then I did it again and again and again!

I still contend it's a stupid system and needs a little tweaking but it's not totally impossible.

I've made a quick video showing how I typically get submissions (I can, now, reliably win by submission in every match). Once it's done processing i'll post it in case anyone wants to use that as supplemental material here.

EDIT

I've made a quick video showing how I typically get submissions (I can, now, reliably win by submission in every match). Once it's done processing i'll post it in case anyone wants to use that as supplemental material here.

EDIT

Another little tip I'm gonna add which I read on another forum I visit: do not, and I repeat DO NOT rotate the stick, keep to simply moving it up, down, left or right when necessary. I can say from personal experience that this little trick makes submissions a whole lot more fun.

I can get out of submissions for the most part but cannot for the life of me make them tap.

Someone said use the cardinal directions, either up and down or left and right and it works a lot better and faster, but I've found that advice to be worthless too.

I actually wish we had Struggle Submissions back. >_>

I agree, tried to beat Austin with Bret Hart during the submission match challenge on Showcase. Tried all different strategies for the submission......no luck. Worst 30 min match of my life......I think I was close to going insane, I may need to invest in a stock pile of controllers because I was pretty close to chucking it across the room....this new system is sooooo frustrating. Still waiting for my first submission victory.

I appreciate the time people have put in to provide these tips but the system is broken and no number of tips will fix that.

I just tried the Bret vs. Austin challenge. I don't know how many matches I had but I did it for a solid 2hrs and 10mins without a single successful submission. I then tried a submission match where I was Daniel Bryan against Zack Ryder, this match lasted 20mins and then I ragequit.

This is not a learning curve or a difficult system to master, this is a broken system that seemingly works for a very small fraction of the playerbase. I can escape submissions with relative ease but when on the attack my bar feels sluggish, doesn't move in the direction I ask it to and the red progress circle turns to solid blue within half a second of not making contact with thair bar forcing the submission to end.

I counted 7 Sharpshooters in one match against Austin. No submit. Factor that into my 2hr 10min play time and then the Bryan vs Ryder match and thats an awful lot of submissions. I know how the system works and what I'm meant to do but it just doesn't allow me to do it.

It isn't broken. You just need to put the time and practice in, that's all there is to it. I can reliably win a submission every time I lock one in now. Take your time, learn the nuances, and keep an eye on the situation you are going in to with the submission. It's not as easy as past years and that's a damn good thing.

Archived