Step-by-Step Submission System Tutorial

The New Blueguy

1. When attacking (RED) during a submission, you must chase the defender (BLUE) and overlap their bar using the right-stick, to complete the submission hold.

2. When defending a submission (BLUE), using the right-stick, you must move your bar away from the attacker (RED) and keep it away until you escape the hold.

3. As the attacker (RED), you must overlap the defender (BLUE) until their bar turns completely yellow.

4. As the attacker (RED), you can wear down the defender (BLUE) by simply touching their bar and it will turn yellow the more you touch as the hold goes on, allowing you to eventually overlap them completely.

5. Catch the glowing orb to escape the hold faster (BLUE) or submit the opponent faster (RED). Depending on who grabs the orb, either the defender (BLUE) moves further away or the attacker (RED) moves closer to touching.

6. You can also use the Boost option (L2 or LT), to make your bar faster allowing you to either escape (BLUE) or submit the opponent faster (RED). However, this method means that the accuracy of the bar is harder to control. NOTE: Whether or not the boost option is available depends on your current stamina level. You must have at least 50% of your stamina to use the boost option.

More specific tips/techniques:

Gently push the right stick left or right (almost like rocking) in the opposite direction but towards their blue bar. Be patient and just wait for them to move and respond with the opposite move but towards them. If you're using low damage submissions apart from your finish as part of your wear down strategy, remember you're not aiming for the finish yet. Your reason for rocking left and right is to bait the opponent into chipping away at their bar little by little.

If you mix up limb damage grapples and working holds, you can actually submit opponents even on Legend without ever touching boost. However, if you need to use boost, think of it like a gas pedal. Only tap it as you need it. Try not to hold it. And even then, don't worry about the opponent boosting away from you. The rocking motion almost guarantees that they'll overshoot and eventually boost their bar onto yours.

And on defense, the strategy is the same. Also remember on defense, you're simply buying time. Use the rocking motion and boost accordingly to play keep away. You're only waiting for the circle to fill blue or better yet, the opponent to burn stamina to let go.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Why did you think I was a bot?

Oh, and yeah I know a lot of people hate it, and I'm even still getting used to it. But that's why I made this. To help all of us. While I know there are some people that will simply just not like it, want it, or even try to get used to it, I made this topic in hopes of helping them and those people who don't like it out of frustration. Because even as simple as it seems to use, the in-game prompts, tutorial and actual submission HUD give very little information to the player for the sake of a more streamlined visual theme. Even the manual is bare bones for this new system.

LOL! Okay I get it. I'll try to at least decide on an avatar. As long as I've been a member here, I just didn't use one. I'm not going to dumb down the proper grammar and sentence structure though. Well, I'm not the greatest (fastest/accurate) at typing so you may get a typo now and then. And even then, I'm anal about that stuff and usually correct it as soon as I see it.

Thanks for the tutorial. For me, i've figured out what the game wants me to do, but i just can't execute things correctly. I've been playing the game all day and have only been able to manage 1 submission...and i think it was a fluke...lol

Thanks for the tutorial. The new system sounds really interesting. I'm really glad they're shaking things up to give experienced players a challenge. Can't wait to check this out when I get the game on Friday.

Not gonna lie, but when I first saw the new Submission System in action? I was like.. oh good gawd! But the series badly needed a change up for Submissions, I will look forward to trying it out a few times when I get the game on Friday.

I've posted this elsewhere but I'll just recap here

-stamina is critical. try to go into a submission with as much stamina as possible.

- use boost (L2 / LT) to catch your opponent but don't abuse it. just tapping it helps tremendously as it allows you to change directions much quicker.

- DO NOT FLICK THE STICK or rotate the stick too fast. you will lose control of your slider quickly and will have a hard time regaining control (unless you boost...)

- subtle movements of the stick are best. make smaller movements and wait for the slider to catch up before trying to change directions.

not played it yet but thanks for the info, it looks like something that will take practice, but when you get it it will be cool. really though they should have kept the old system also, giving the player the ability to choose to tailor the gameplay to how they like it/what theyre comfortable with, offline modes at least

-stamina is critical. try to go into a submission with as much stamina as possible.

- use boost (L2 / LT) to catch your opponent but don't abuse it. just tapping it helps tremendously as it allows you to change directions much quicker.

- DO NOT FLICK THE STICK or rotate the stick too fast. you will lose control of your slider quickly and will have a hard time regaining control (unless you boost...)

- subtle movements of the stick are best. make smaller movements and wait for the slider to catch up before trying to change directions.

Ayeee this tip actually works for me! Just go nice and slow to keep control

yeah there's probably a reason for that...

Yup just like making a sharp turn... Very slowly of course :)

This is really pissing me off.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Like the AI's head is in red and I'm filling up the circle and as soon as I chase the blue it's like I can't stay on it. I'm not feeling this new system at all. There should've been an option for us to use this new system or the old system somehow.

This is really pissing me off.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Like the AI's head is in red and I'm filling up the circle and as soon as I chase the blue it's like I can't stay on it. I'm not feeling this new system at all. There should've been an option for us to use this new system or the old system somehow.

do you have stamina? if so, are you using it to boost at all?

sometimes it's better to just sit back and wait for the AI to make their move first as they seem to have a fairly consistent rhythm.

Archived