Official Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Disney+/HBO Max Topic

Generations

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The connection to the first movie is there but it's confusing.

The guy on the news that Monk was watching, predicted collisions between dimensions and releasing monsters including from the ocean. The station released a blast before getting lost and that seemed to be the cause of everything but viral marketing for the first movie revealed that an oil rig accidently unearthed the monsters..so exactly what is the origin of the monsters?

Somewhere in this movie it was shown that the year is 2028 and so does first movie actually take place in the future or is the world in that movie in another dimension and the station released monsters across multiple parallel universes?

Cloverfield Paradox was frustrating because its concept has potential to be good, but it doesn't play with that concept nearly enough. Instead we get a bunch of unearned character moments from characters that aren't well developed. What it should have been was Final Destination in space. At least then it'd be self aware fun.

If you're interested in it because of the lore, just turn it off right after the news interview with the guy from Grounded for Life, which happens in the first 15 minutes. What made 10 Cloverfield Lane so great was the suspense and the ambiguity of what was out there. This movie explains everything immediately. No big reveals afterwards. It's like a guy who blows his load in 3 minutes.

The movie still didn't explain a whole lot in detail. It was revealed what the station could do but no details given in the origins of the monster and the timeline between the original and this is still scrambled

I mean it answered that the Cloverfield monster and the aliens are interdimensional beings caused by the station. I really don't need to know much about Cloverfield monster beyond that. The guy on the news specifically mentioned the possibility of interdimensional creatures in the part I was referring to.

Haven't seen Paradox (still)...but I did read those spoilers. And my take is this...

Isn't it getting kind of old having every movie or show with mysterious monsters just use the same old trope of a government base or station being the cause of it? Stranger Things, The Mist, etc. Been there, done that. I think Cloverfield probably should have just been proper space aliens...IMO. Kinda feels like a cop-out at this point. All like..."ooooh, other dimensions...the government did it..."

Haven't seen Paradox (still)...but I did read those spoilers. And my take is this...

Isn't it getting kind of old having every movie or show with mysterious monsters just use the same old trope of a government base or station being the cause of it? Stranger Things, The Mist, etc. Been there, done that. I think Cloverfield probably should have just been proper space aliens...IMO. Kinda feels like a cop-out at this point. All like..."ooooh, other dimensions...the government did it..."

Well at least here it was..

Accidental and no evil corporate involvement. The space station was made for energy and other resources to help the earth but an accident caused a monster from another dimension to be brought over while the station got sent to another dimension.

In the alternate dimension, one of the crew members had sabotaged their station as orders from German leaders to create a war but other than that, no typical evil scientist or corporation.

The crew of the main dimension of the movie just wanted to help and create peace, save the world but they accidently *censored*ed up and brought problems across different dimensions for alternate earths

The explanation doesn't bother me because the motivations seem different. The characterization isn't like a shady CIA type of organization causing catastrophe as a result of paranoia and cruelty like in Stranger Things. Cloverfield is like if Starfleet accidently *censored*ed up. The motivations were clearly good and were result of them wanting to prevent a third World War. It'd be a lot more tragic if everything was better established in this world. You know to have a good intentioned people from all over the world unite to try and save it only to *Censored* it up even more. But the setting isn't established well so you don't properly know the extent of the trouble on Earth.

Well, good thing I don't care about House of Cards...because, Reg Cathey has died now. As if choosing to continue without Spacey was a strange enough concept, now they lost another dude. Show has to officially be dead now, yeah?

Damn. I didn't see it anywhere.

I was instantly happy whenever I saw him act. That voice...

Been watching Altered Carbon. Liking it.

And there's a new Chris Rock standup that comes out tomorrow. Always liked Chris Rock.

Only 20ish minutes away from finishing the new Chris Rock standup, but it's really funny. Miles ahead of Katt Williams' Netflix special imo, and maybe almost on-par with Dave Chappelle's Equanimity.

Finally watched Creep 2.

My take on the end is that Mark Duplass' character actually did die in the woods...and what we see at the end is a copycat killer. Which is why the girl didn't immediately recognize him following her in the city. But when he sits across from her on the bus (or was it a train?...I don't remember), she notices that he's recording her, or some other strange behavior that makes her take pause. She didn't hear the whistling, because she had headphones on...but she notices something that makes her say "wtf".

Obviously she lived...which means that she must have found help. Probably in the form of the police. That would have given the whole story news exposure. The tapes probably leaked onto the black market (if not the killer's collection of tapes...then probably at least the video footage of her 'Encounters' web series). And that created a copycat killer who wanted to finish her off.

The Ritual was damn good. Nice to see a bit of a resurgence in quality horror movies.

I would say that The Ritual and The VVitch are tied as my favorite modern takes on horror...followed by The Void and Babadook to round out what I would consider modern horror classics. Not shock horror, not comedy horror, not body horror...just good, pure horror...the way it should be.

Ahh The Void was so good! Watched it recently after my friend banged on about it for weeks. The story was nice and simple, but it left a lot to the imagination and opened the doors to some really cool shit if they ever want to explore it.

The monster designs was cool too.

Archived