Official Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Disney+/HBO Max Topic

Generations

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hyped for season 4 of Black Mirror, but for some reason it's still on hold.

Season 3 was mixed for me, even though it was top notch, some things I didn't like. So now I'm kinda iffy.

So me and some friends decided to watch the new Black Mirror today while only being vaguely familiar with it before hand.

My friends girlfriend had the best quote; this show is like the Banksy of TV, pretentious.

It really isn't though.

But it can come across in some episodes of season 3 that way I think. At least with some themes. So I'm guessing season 4 might be also on that track (haven't watched it yet).

There can be cliches and everything, and I think some people missed that or aren't that bothered by it. And I don't know if that is the reason, but the series started to dwell more into that when Netflix took over. And even then, it's still high quality.

Anyway, I don't think pretentious is the best way to describe it.

Just the opinion of one person. Not mine either.

I think it being the Banksy of television is quite apt, the pretentious part is debatable. I personally think its wildly overhyped. It has a thin layer of depth about it that people cling to.

I could see calling Black Mirror pretentious.

From the few episodes I saw, it definitely felt like it was tying to be overly edgy just for shock value. I guess I can understand why people enjoy the format of Black Mirror...every episode is a full story, etc. But, yeah...it felt like they wanted to be a modern day Twilight Zone or Outer Limits...but put WAY too much effort into being uncomfortably weird instead of just telling compelling stories. At least, that was my take on it.

I like a lot of weird shit when it comes to movies and television. I really enjoy psychologically "trippy" or challenging forms of entertainment. But, Black Mirror felt like a charade to me. But, hell...maybe it's just because real life is stranger than anything they could think of. I don't know.

The format is what I think people enjoy the most. The subject of the episodes themselves are borderline edgy, in the same way The Matrix would be considered if it came out now. Interesting subjects for sure, but subjects it's view base have way over-analysed.

Not sure about that Matrix comment...not when so much of our society has been affected by that movie. Not sure that you can really look back objectively and claim that the Matrix would be received differently if it came out today...because that doesn't account for how much society has changed as a direct result of the Matrix. The themes of The Matrix have only been "over-analyzed" by today's standards because of movies like The Matrix.

But, anyway...as far as Black Mirror is concerned, I put it on the same shelf as that American Horror Story series. It's a conglomeration of tropes...and some people like that. To me, it just feels tedious.

I got hooked on it beacuse of season 1 and 2 really. So @Gen, I think you might find things to like there.

I liked how the "sci-fi"/techonlogy aspect was more like a base for a story with a point or comment on something, but not really taking a moral high ground. Like it gives you room to think. Production was way more minimalistic and I liked that much more than the season 3. And in that sense also, I always had a feeling it was more about what isn't necessarily said on the screen. And I think it managed that exactly by not being pretentious.

I don't know, they way you talked about it, makes me even less interested for the season 4. But I'm probably going to start today.

I can also see how something can come across as just for being "borderline edgy" or for shock value, even though I am a fan, I didn't like every episode because it had that layers... But it was still beter than most. I mean sure, if they didn't move to Netflix, who knows if they would have even keep making it, it was not a big budget series... but now... eh...

imo, British production was better because it wasn't so saturated. Felt more immersive, and it fitted the points way better.

I got hooked on it beacuse of season 1 and 2 really. So @Gen, I think you might find things to like there.

I liked how the "sci-fi"/techonlogy aspect was more like a base for a story with a point or comment on something, but not really taking a moral high ground. Like it gives you room to think. Production was way more minimalistic and I liked that much more than the season 3. And in that sense also, I always had a feeling it was more about what isn't necessarily said on the screen. And I think it managed that exactly by not being pretentious.

I don't know, they way you talked about it, makes me even less interested for the season 4. But I'm probably going to start today.

I can also see how something can come across as just for being "borderline edgy" or for shock value, even though I am a fan, I didn't like every episode because it had that layers... But it was still beter than most. I mean sure, if they didn't move to Netflix, who knows if they would have even keep making it, it was not a big budget series... but now... eh...

imo, British production was better because it wasn't so saturated. Felt more immersive, and it fitted the points way better.

I'd say it would have continued. Channel 4 don't often cancel shows. I think it would have ran for as long as Charlie Brooker intended it to run.

But, anyway...as far as Black Mirror is concerned, I put it on the same shelf as that American Horror Story series. It's a conglomeration of tropes...and some people like that. To me, it just feels tedious.

Please don't compare the two.

I'm a massive horror mark and I can't get into American Horror Story. Only season I made it through was Hotel.

I'm not bashing anybody's opinions (I promise) but I don't know how we can treat Black Mirror like it's a singular show within a singular genre. Simply on the basis that every episode is wildly different. Like say you watched 4 episodes...those have nothing to do with other episodes aside from being technology based in some way, shape or form. Do you know what I mean?

Like if you're into romance, Hang the DJ and San Junipero are brilliant. If you're into horror, Playtest and Metalhead come into mind. They mix and mash several genres. Twisty thrillers, White Christmas and Black Museum.

The comparison is just because of the heavy reliance on tired tropes and cliche themes. I never said anything about the genre. Having different genres for every episode of Black Mirror really doesn't change my comparison to a trope-centric show like Horror Story. Point is, both shows rely too heavily on shit that has already been done to death...(IMO, of course). And I feel like Black Mirror tries to thinly veil that behind some attempt at a unique identity, but, it's still just the same stuff that has already been done.

Black Mirror kinda just reminds me of a kid who watches Twilight Zone and then decides that they want to make their own version of it for film class.

I've always thought Charlie Brooker (and the stuff he does) comes across as smug and pretentious and Black Mirror is no different.

His comedy was always very pretentious, I remember some of his older TV appearances. He's very punchable.

Guest Fight Me.

Just finished season 5 of Black Mirror. Season finale was great, but still think the first episode was indeed the best. Episode 5 was the only one that just didn't click with me for some reason.

Also, I just learned only the last 2 seasons were Netflix originals. Which I guess explains why people may think it's fallen off, but I'm still definitely enjoying it.

The comparison is just because of the heavy reliance on tired tropes and cliche themes. I never said anything about the genre. Having different genres for every episode of Black Mirror really doesn't change my comparison to a trope-centric show like Horror Story. Point is, both shows rely too heavily on shit that has already been done to death...(IMO, of course). And I feel like Black Mirror tries to thinly veil that behind some attempt at a unique identity, but, it's still just the same stuff that has already been done.

Black Mirror kinda just reminds me of a kid who watches Twilight Zone and then decides that they want to make their own version of it for film class.

But thats the thing though.

The concepts have not been done to death. Most of the stuff is super original. There are a few episodes that stick to tired tropes or cliche themes but the majority differs from what you see in mainstream films.

Just watched Infinity Chamber.

This is the kind of movie that I really, really enjoy...but I know that a lot of people don't like at all. I think the last time that I watched a movie with this kind of lasting appeal, is when I watched Upstream Color a number of years ago.

Basically, it's a twisty-turny psychological film with a looping plotline that you need to be willing to fully immerse yourself in. You can't watch it as an afterthought while you're doing other things. You really need to put yourself in the position of this guy, and just allow your brain to sync with the film. In fact, I watched it with my VR headset on...which was a great decision in retrospect.

I really don't want to explain the storyline in any detail at all, because these types of movies are best experienced with no pretext. Hell...I just read the synopsis for the movie right now (after watching it)...and the synopsis doesn't do it any favors at all.

If you like psychological movies, I would recommend it.

Archived