Top Gear Trio Sign Deal For Amazon Car Show

Gamevolt

Former Top Gear hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have signed a deal for a new motoring show with Amazon.

May's agent confirmed to Sky News that the programme will be available to Amazon Prime customers around the world.

The trio left the hit BBC show after Clarkson was dropped following a fracas with a member of the production staff.

A statement on Amazon's website said the show will be produced by the presenters' long time executive producer Andy Wilman.

On working with Amazon, Jeremy Clarkson said: "I feel like I've climbed out of a bi-plane and into a spaceship."

It added that production will begin "shortly" and the episodes will air in 2016.

The announcement ends months of speculation about the stars' future after they left the BBC amid much controversy.

May: Top Gear Crew Reunited

May joked: "We have become part of the new age of smart TV. Ironic, isn't it?"

Hammond added: "Amazon? Oh yes. I have already been there. I got bitten by a bullet ant."

It is not known how much the deal is worth.

Jay Marine, vice president of Amazon Prime Video EU, said: "Customers told us they wanted to see the team back on screen, and we are excited to make that happen.

"Millions of Prime members are already enjoying our ground-breaking original shows. We can't wait to see what Jeremy, Richard, James and the team will create in what is sure to be one of the most globally anticipated shows of 2016.

"This is a golden age of television, a great time for TV makers and storytellers.

"Our approach is to give programme makers creative freedom to be innovative and make the shows they want to make. This is just the start, you should expect to see more world-leading talent and the biggest shows on Prime Video."

Chris Evans has taken over as the main host of the Top Gear on the BBC. It is not yet known who will be joining the line-up.

Amazon not *censored*ing around:

The reports are that Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have been handed a budget of £160 MILLION for the upcoming series.

It will make the show one of the most expensive ever, with a budget bigger than the first two seasons of top U.S. heavyweight House of Cards and the first Avengers movie.

The news comes from Top Gear producer Andy Wilman, who is onboard with the trio, after he told Broadcast that Amazon had promised a budget of £160 million.

We assume this is the reason that they chose the fairly new contenders in the streaming world over heavyweights such as Netflix or another TV channel.

The lads have committed to 36 episodes of the new show, which will air in 2016 and is yet to be named, and if the reported budget is correct, each episode should have a kitty of around £4.5 million. Wow.

Archived