Vince's Blog about Seth Rollins..

Rekka_No_Ryo

Seth Rollins Owes Everyone Who Ever Laced Up A Pair Of Boots An Apology

by VINCE RUSSO

” In the ring, we move so fast. We take so many more bumps than those guys did, and we do so much more high-risk stuff. We’re athletes now. We’re not cartoon characters.”

– Seth Rollins to Men’s Journal

I can’t even imagine the backlash, or ramifications there would have been if Vince Russo had made that asinine comment as it pertains to wrestlers “then” and wrestlers “now”. What would my punishment have been? How many people in the wrestling industry would I have had heat with? I just found out two days ago that I still have 1999 heat with Jim Duggan, because I put him in a storyline where my character appointed him the WCW janitor in order to tarnish his good name–however, as I just stated—that was a STORYLINE. In REAL LIFE Seth Rollins just discredited anyone who ever laced up a pair of boots by saying that they weren’t athletes—and that’s OK?!!!

And, it’s simple why Seth’s comment were accepted and not totally ripped to Kingdom Come—because that’s what the Internet Wrestling wants from wrestling today–“high-risk guys” and not “cartoon characters”–, and since they are the smallest minority with the loudest voice controlling the wrestling business these days—they are going to celebrate Seth’s “brave” statement. Meanwhile, if those who were SUPPOSED to be controlling the wrestling business today were actually doing their jobs, they would be going out and hunting down the 5 million casual fans who NO LONGER watch professional wrestling, who would tell them what THEY WANT is VERY different.

You know, I don’t know Seth Rollins personally, and I obviously have nothing against him, but if the WWE didn’t illegally control their “Independent Contractors” and they actually allowed someone who knows something about wrestling to interview their talent, I would just love to ask Seth to show me the proof where the high-flying trapeze act—that guys like him have turned the wrestling business into— has proven successful? It certainly isn’t in the numbers of the people who watch wrestling today. And, when you add to that the number of injuries sustain by guys who have attempted dangerous, frivolous and meaningless moves from the top rope to a concrete floor, I am just asking—WHERE’S THE FREAKIN’ PAYOFF? Outside of nimrods chanting “That was awesome” over fake moves in a fake fight, what was really achieved by almost breaking your own neck and cutting your career short?

But, truthfully, it wasn’t even that part of Seth’s comment that ignited my trigger—regardless of how insanely stupid it was—it’s the shot at all those before him who made it even possible for him to become a spot-monkey in the wrestling business. In my 20+ years in wrestling, I can honestly say that I never worked with a PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER who wasn’t a great athlete. No matter who was lacing up those boots, those guys and gals were all blue-chippers, dedicating their lives to both the ring and the gym, in an effort to be the very best in a profession they loved. And to say that they weren’t “athletes”, but rather “cartoon characters”? I would love to hear what a Scott Steiner, or an Undertaker, or a late Randy Savage would have to say about that. What about a Shawn Michaels, or a “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. What about Seth’s mentor—HUNTER HEARST HELMSLEY—that’s a cartoony name if I ever heard one. If I ever referred to any professional wrestler as a “cartoon character” rather than an “athlete”, I would expect to get a full-fist shoved down my throat. But, the difference is—I would never say it. Not only because it’s not true, but also because I have RESPECT for all those who made it possible for me to support my family. All those “cartoon character” lame bumps were taken to benefit ME and I understand that. Today those high-flying, suicidal “spots” are just hurting people—they certainly aren’t putting people in front of their TV, computer, tablet, or iPhone on Monday nights.

But here’s the sad thing–the majority of those within the business who feel the exact same way I do with every word I put on this page—won’t say a word about it. Why? Because Seth Rollins is the WWE Champion and nobody wants to get heat with the WWE. And that, my friends, is why the business is in the state that it is today. You have a slew of young, entitled athletes who can say whatever they want, whenever they want—with no ramifications whatsoever. Can you imagine if Seth Rollins was around during the days of the Four Horsemen, or Animal and Hawk, and they caught wind of what “that kid” said? Rollins would have caught a beating that he would have never forgotten which in turn would have taught him honor and respect—two words that just don’t seem to matter today in professional wrestling’s Generation ME era.

That would have been a sight to see. The Steiners or Road Warriors would have beat the shit out of Rollins for a comment like that back in the day..

I kinda see what Seth is saying but it came across a bit shitty in the way he said it. I doubt he was intending to insult guys like Shawn, Rock or Trips with his comments because clearly they had more than just a character that seemed to come straight from a comic. He's probably talking more about the guys from the 80's who had bizarre gimmicks and were in pretty poor shape.

As for Russo, I'm pretty sure the shitty numbers they draw nowadays compared to before goes a bit beyond the guys on the roster being more athletic and high flying than they used to be. As for the spot monkey comment... please.

I agree with seth. I hate all 80s wrestlers. I respect that they paved the way but they also made it so obious how cheezy it was

You hate the 80's wrestlers? Why? The attitude era had its amount of cheese and so did the ruthless aggression era. Even today, storylines are still cheesy. Just because the formulas and format were different in that time period, doesn't negate the storylines and the wrestlers in that period. That period saw the biggest boom period in the sport and where the majority of today's superstars were inspired from the people in the past. If anything, ECW desensitized everything about the "gimmick" and made it impossible to ever successfully use it in a PC-dominated era (mid 90's to now).

The mid to late 1990's and early 2000's saw a death to that era of "an up and coming superstar, who is respectful to all but is still green but is willing to prove himself day in and day out" and just pushed the "I don't give a flying f*** about respect. Give me my shot now!" type of attitude that is still prevalent in today's wrestling. Nothing more cheesier than that.

^ TNA. Sports Entertainment Extreme. His idea of "shoot promos" and being "unscripted" led to Roddy Piper blaming him for the death of Owen Hart on TV.

There was also WCW 2000 with the "Goldberg not following the script" angle and the infamous "You bald son of a bitch" to Hulk Hogan at Bash at The Beach 2000

I think he's talking about the WCW one which is more known, didn't even know about the TNA one.

I didn't either until the AE podcast covered Bash at The Beach and they talked about their opinion on Russo as a whole

Seth made an idiotic statement, but it was not worth crying about, and Russo overreacted. though, I can see why Seth said that, and I'd agree if he said most wrestlers back then weren't as athletic as wrestlers nowadays. Though, apparently wrestlers over half a century ago wrestled legit matches that went over hours.

Archived