Football Thread

Ernez

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's Carl Robinson.

Definitely Karl Robinson lol
No, Carl Robinson is the head coach of Vancouver Whitecaps in MLS.
Oh haha I don't watch MLS ??

Me neither, I only know who Carl Robinson is because he played for the Wolves once upon a time - I was aware that he was coaching in MLS, but I had to use Google to find out which club he is at.

I don't know how far we'll get, too many square pegs in round holes

Your boys have been on Sky a fair bit this week. Watched the S*censored*horpe match.

Scunny the latest to do one of my biggest pet hates in the game, wear their away kit despite there being absolutely no colour clash with their first choice colours.

Yeah I didn't understand why they did that.... we was shocking first half lol

People bash MLS but if you look at that crowd it was crazy and its the same across most stadiums in the US. MLS will never be as big as the NBA or NFL but its definitely going to give MLB a run for 3rd place, already outsells them in a lot of cities and the fans are louder and more excited to be there.

People bash MLS but if you look at that crowd it was crazy and its the same across most stadiums in the US. MLS will never be as big as the NBA or NFL but its definitely going to give MLB a run for 3rd place, already outsells them in a lot of cities and the fans are louder and more excited to be there.

It could be as big as the NFL or NBA but there is still so much wrong with the brand. Its looking like its going to become a launch pad for South American talent before they go overseas which is good and bad at the same time.

I don't know if it will ever be as big as NFL or the NBA, but definitely the MLB. The baseball is just not exciting to be honest, and a lot of ballparks in major league baseball are half empty it's embarrassing. I mean they can't even fill some of these arenas even when guys like Mike Trout, Kershaw, or Bryce Harper are in town. I've literally gotten free tickets to Dodgers games over the years because of how many there are and little demand there is for them. Soccer on the other hand has something that no other league has going for them and that is the international factor. Zlatan is a good example of this, or Beckham before him, and imagine if or when Messi or Ronaldo or even a lower tier guy like Luis Suarez signs with the league, they can market these guys to the moon and the crowds will flock to see them. MLS stadiums are attracting more people per game than the NBA also which is pretty amazing.

I for one am more excited about the two LA teams in MLS than the two LA teams in MLB. It's a pity about the mens team missing the world cup, but hopefully this just makes US soccer work harder at the international level than it ever has.

I actually had not seen the news until seeing your post...so thanks for alerting me to this.

It was pretty much inevitable that Pardew was going to leave at some point, but I do not understand why the club have chosen to get rid of him now, when there are only six matches left, and the team would have to win all six to stay up - he either should have gone a month ago, or they may as well just have left him in charge until the end of the season.

As for Appleton, he is a former Albion player, and he started his coaching career at the club after he was forced to retire, so it is no surprise that he is one of the favourites. I would be satisfied with him.

So Pardew is gone, Michael Appleton is the favourite, he'll do a good job if appointed

If they're going for Appleton, that suggests to me that the appointment is with an eye on getting out of the Championship next season, rather than believing they can stay up. Normally you'd get them signing a firefighter for the remainder of the season.

Not that getting back out of the Championship is anywhere near guaranteed either. Ask Sunderland.

As for MLS, the biggest thing holding it back is the stigma that football still has in certain sections of the US mainstream - uptake of the game among young people is on the rise, so this will take a little while to translate into following a homegrown side - especially given the blanket coverage of Premier League and La Liga.

Archived