Football Thread

Ernez

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're pretty good at this whole soccer thing aren't we?

Our women's team is a lot better than our men's, that is for sure.

That's what happens when you invest in a good program that develops players instead of doing what they did with the mens side for so many decades and say "screw it we don't care about this sport so lets not even try".

To be totally fair the MLS's academy's are starting to finally product talent for the mens team. There is alot of really good young talent coming up, on top of that you got all these dual citizen's that Jurgen is converting to full Americans. Julian Green, and Gedion Zelalem were two huge gets by him. The men are finally starting to catch up..

Plus if you take Landon Donovan last year you beat Belgium when he comes off the bench.

To be totally fair the MLS's academy's are starting to finally product talent for the mens team. There is alot of really good young talent coming up, on top of that you got all these dual citizen's that Jurgen is converting to full Americans. Julian Green, and Gedion Zelalem were two huge gets by him. The men are finally starting to catch up..

Plus if you take Landon Donovan last year you beat Belgium when he comes off the bench.

Ha. Finally. You're the first American supporter I've seen that gave Klinnsman the credit that he deserves.

The fact that the U.S. beat the Netherlands after trailing by two goals, in a friendly at home, and to go to Germany and beat the world champions at home (all within a week) deserves more praise quite honestly. A lot of people would dismiss it as just friendlies. I honestly don't.

What happened to Freddy Adu?

Playing in the Forth Division in Finland. Couldn't even make a awful Philidelphia Union roster two years ago which is weird since he had a halfway decent Gold Cup run in 2011. Still somehow only 26.

Ha. Finally. You're the first American supporter I've seen that gave Klinnsman the credit that he deserves.

The fact that the U.S. beat the Netherlands after trailing by two goals, in a friendly at home, and to go to Germany and beat the world champions at home (all within a week) deserves more praise quite honestly. A lot of people would dismiss it as just friendlies. I honestly don't.

I'm totally 50/50 on him. While he has done some good things hes done alot of questionable things too. Bringing Wondo over Terrence Boyd was a head scratcher to me, along with Brad Evans' over Landon Donovan. Altidore and Boyd are pretty similar. Bring Boyd as a back up and when Jozy goes down you just plug him in and don't miss too much, instead you had Dempsey play that role and took a major beating in the process of it. AS for Donovan he should have been there. He totally wasn't a starter anymore but you can't deny the dudes leadership and the fact that he is US Soccer. Like i said if you bring him hes a super sub, he finds a way to score against Belgium. According to Donovan he said that Jurgen said he should have went all along which is a start to my healing process.

Jurgen's expermenting kinda kills me too. He has all these players who are talented where they re but keeps playing them out of position. Yedlin got signed to the Spurs as a RB but is playing RM on the National Team.

But I have to credit him on his development of talent. Hes bringing up alot of fresh faces, some even from the college level and is pretty much giving everyone a look. There are a lot of obvious people hes missing (How Luis Robles doesn't get a call up is beyond me. Dude for the past two years single handedly keeps RBNY in games...but thats a different story.) but he gives everyone a taste which is great.

Illarramendi links are back all of a sudden and I like it a lot. He seems quality from the videos I've seen even though he hasn't played much. Not sure why it's only the Real fans that don't seem to rate him though... are they salty because of the amount they paid for him or something?

Illarramendi links are back all of a sudden and I like it a lot. He seems quality from the videos I've seen even though he hasn't played much. Not sure why it's only the Real fans that don't seem to rate him though... are they salty because of the amount they paid for him or something?

#YoutubeScouting

Hehe.

Well he was a massive waste of money for them at the time considering the options they had. And since then they've bought better players for less money. He hasn't really made much of an impact at all so they probably see him as a failure. Don't think we need him.

I just saw this conversation on ESPN last night. What's more important to a player, winning the Copa America or the Confederations Cup?

Copa America by far. Nobody really cares about the Confed, same as the World Club Championship. It's just viewed as a pointless trophy.

I say the Copa too, but the Confed cup is an official FIFA sponsored tournament and it features the champions of every international federation. I also asked that question because Mexico sent a weak squad to the Copa America and decided to send it's elite team to the Gold Cup instead. The USA does the same thing, rather than accept an invite to the CA they skip it and go for the far less prestigious Gold Cup with the goal being of winning it and getting into the Confed Cup. It ticks me off.

I say the Copa too, but the Confed cup is an official FIFA sponsored tournament and it features the champions of every international federation. I also asked that question because Mexico sent a weak squad to the Copa America and decided to send it's elite team to the Gold Cup instead. The USA does the same thing, rather than accept an invite to the CA they skip it and go for the far less prestigious Gold Cup with the goal being of winning it and getting into the Confed Cup. It ticks me off.

To me that would suggest they wanted to win the Gold Cup more than the Copa America. I don't know about how you guys view it over there but nobody over here wants to win the European Championships to go to the Confed, they want to win it to win the European Championships.

Archived