What is the appeal of Lucha Underground?

The Dude

^ That is, if you DON"T like promotions like CMLL and AAA. I'll admit CMLL is not as compelling right now. I'm watching it as I type this and it's the same matches every week, show opens with a 3-man tag match, with the same guys like UG, Thunder, Volador, Sombra, and maybe a womens match and then end with a 1 on 1 match usually. It's good, but LU is the best thing going right now. I actually genuinely care about the characters involved.

I haven't seen tons of LU, and have been in fact waiting for the season to end so I can bingewatch it from start to finish, like you would any other TV show. Which to me is the attraction of the show. It's a wrestling program with a TV show structure and format. Unlike WWE that tries to pass off RAW like a normal episodic TV show even though, if we're grading it on that scale, it's maybe the worst show on television. LU has defined characters engaged in interesting stories, all using the athleticism wrestling (and Lucha specifically) is known for. It's like, the perfect wrestling show IMO. I hope they return for a second season and I hope more wrestling companies use them as guidance or inspiration for their shows, every company could stand to learn something from them.

I haven't seen tons of LU, and have been in fact waiting for the season to end so I can bingewatch it from start to finish, like you would any other TV show. Which to me is the attraction of the show. It's a wrestling program with a TV show structure and format. Unlike WWE that tries to pass off RAW like a normal episodic TV show even though, if we're grading it on that scale, it's maybe the worst show on television. LU has defined characters engaged in interesting stories, all using the athleticism wrestling (and Lucha specifically) is known for. It's like, the perfect wrestling show IMO. I hope they return for a second season and I hope more wrestling companies use them as guidance or inspiration for their shows, every company could stand to learn something from them.

WWE is so arrogant they would do the exact opposite on purpose. In LU when they have a 6 man battle royal there is really no clear-cut favorite, you really don't know who is gonna win. In WWE, you pretty much know who it is, even if it is a 20 man battle royal you know its gonna be Cena or Reigns. WWE is just too predictable to even watch anymore.

I've seen a handful of matches from Lucha Underground and those handfuls were pretty awesome.

Grave Consequences

Six Person Tag Team Championship Ladder Match

Seven Person Match for an Aztec medallion

Prince Puma vs Johnny Mundo (LU championship)

And I also saw a vignette with Prince Puma and Alberto Del Rio which the latter was a babyface but his mannerism said, 'don't let my smile fool you, Puma, cause I'll force you to permanently wear a mask for the rest of your life when I'm through with you.' Whatever episodes I can't see, Solomonster Sounds Off is all I need to catch up.

The cinematics, I don't mind. It gives it a gritty, Hispanic movie appeal to me. The arena reminds me of the way they were structured back in the 80s which is another big bonus for me. I know they're eligible for an Emmy nomination and I hope they do get nominated just to make it stick in Kevin Dunn's beaver teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you define wrestling promotion?

PWG doesn't really tour either. And of course, not every promotion does TV. So what really makes a wrestling promotion? I don't see how it's different in that regard. Different approach doesn't mean it's not just a wrestling show/promotion.

For me the appeal is that the quality of the actual wrestling is fantastic. I like the entertainment and story aspects of wrestling, but if you can get me into a match because the quality of the athletic ability is great then you already have me for the most part. Along with that I just love the lucha style of how quick, athletic, and fun it is. Though while the quality of the matches keeps me hooked the story and presentation is just fantastic. I love how mythical and story centric LU is and the stories it crafts are fun to watch and leave you on the edge of your seat, especially the Pentagon/Vampiro one. Plus I just love the overall feel of the show and how it comes off as an actual TV show and not a live feed.

So in the end for me, the appeal of Lucha Underground is that it does everything right to me in both wrestling, story, and presentation and does it in a way that leaves the viewer hooked and ready for me. Lucha Underground is quite honestly the highlight of my TV week along with Ink Master, Catfish, and Bar Rescue.

Archived