All Stars 2 GMaybee Edition

GMaybee

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea... how about adding managers to the game? They could assist heel wrestlers by taunting the wrestlers ( like Jimmy Hart shouting through his megaphone ), distracting the ref while the face is going for a pin, and giving advice to their clients, raising their finisher meter. How's that sound to you?

Okay, here's my manager roster:

Current: Paul Heyman ( can't think of any other current managers, Maryse maybe but since females aren't in the game probably not )

Legends:

Bobby Heenan

Jimmy Hart

Mr. Fugi

Freddie Blassie

Slick

Lou Albano

Face managers do not do any heel tactics, rather they verbally support their clients raising their momentum meter, and if the heel has a manager, the face manager stops the heel manager from interfering in the match.

If anyone wants to add to the manager roster, or make a suggestion for their tactics, or make any overall contribution just go on ahead and post it, I encourage it.

Okay, a few thoughts about the manager idea which I do like. Some things to think about, yes you are correct about how I was following the no women in the first game pattern but that is not the sole reason I would not allow someone like Maryse or Miss Elizabeth in the game. The main reason I wouldn't is because this is All Stars and I would want to keep the gameplay relatively fast and rewarding. Here is what I mean by that, brace yourself this might get long winded.

What would a manager bring to this game differently than the main series? You gave a few good ideas about face manager vs heel manager, but how does that happen in an instant? Is it AI controlled or player controlled (AI controlled can be unpredictable and unreliable/Player controlled means possibly taking my focus off my opponent) (Unless hold on just had an idea...I'll get back to it later :laugh: ) Would there even be a referee since the first game didn't have them, if not than half of what a heel manager brings to the match would be useless; if there is a referee, than wrestlers without a manager have a great disadvantage and if that is true than would that make a manager absolutely necessary to win? If I had no manager in my corner and was facing a heel manager that would interfere in my match, or if I was a heel going against a babyface with a manager who was boosting his performance, my reaction would be the same---target the manager (painfully) this being the main reason women would not make the cut even as managers.

Also, exclusivity should it matter? Every All Stars character presented in the first game was created in a way that attempted to capture the very essence of every personality on that roster, each one was special. When you played the story mode to challenge The Undertaker it felt special and a lot of that had to do with our interaction with Paul Bearer. He belonged with The Undertaker and no one else, yes he could have been paired up with Kane but it's just not the same. Do you see what I am getting at? Of all the managers you mentioned above, most of them are remembered for being paired with their most famous clients. For some of those wrestlers much of the success in their careers is due to being paired with that manager because it was special. So should it be that way in the game? I kind of think it should but that sucks for people like us who would create their other clients.

As I said I do like the idea of managers, let's keep thinking on how to implement them successfully. Should we think about each one as being unique in their role? Maybe there is a role for them already, for example:

In The Undertakers profile his temporary ability is described as Dead Man Walking...go ahead read it and come back...if Paul Bearer was in the game, once you build up your meter Paul could unleash the power of the urn when Undertaker is down to cause him to go into Dead Man Walking mode. As an opponent this is more fair because I would know when Undertaker's meter is charged and I could stop it from activating if I can take Paul out of the match momentarily. Just thought of this thanks...

I don't know if you all agree with this line of thinking, but if so here's a challenge. Andre the Giant's profile is not complete yet how could something similar work with Bobby Heenan unless you disagree in that choice of manager of course.

I don't know if you guys can tell but I am really excited by this discussion, please keep it going (you're drawing me back in dammit)

I'm back again another thing KingKhan pointed out was the lack of managers for modern wrestlers. One way this could be somewhat alleviated is to make a few cuts or giving a secondary function to certain guys, like Titus O'neil and Xavier Woods. They could be in the game as wrestlers and/or managers. Titus managing Apollo and Xavier the New Day. Just a thought, just like a tag team partner that comes out to watch during a singles match.

Okay, here's my manager roster:

Current: Paul Heyman ( can't think of any other current managers, Maryse maybe but since females aren't in the game probably not )

Legends:

Bobby Heenan

Jimmy Hart

Mr. Fugi

Freddie Blassie

Slick

Lou Albano

Face managers do not do any heel tactics, rather they verbally support their clients raising their momentum meter, and if the heel has a manager, the face manager stops the heel manager from interfering in the match.

If anyone wants to add to the manager roster, or make a suggestion for their tactics, or make any overall contribution just go on ahead and post it, I encourage it.

You forgot Sheri Martel on that list. I kinda agree with Gmaybe in that managers might get in the way of the action at least for this game. I think I'd rather see an "enforcer" mode in which there is a 3rd wrestler involved in the match to keep things balanced, he isn't for or against either wrestler in the match but if one wrestler is running away with the match the enforcer would help the match get more competitive again by holding that guy back, keeping him from using his specials and all that and in turn help the guy losing get back into it without cheating or using unfair tactics.

Okay, a few thoughts about the manager idea which I do like. Some things to think about, yes you are correct about how I was following the no women in the first game pattern but that is not the sole reason I would not allow someone like Maryse or Miss Elizabeth in the game. The main reason I wouldn't is because this is All Stars and I would want to keep the gameplay relatively fast and rewarding. Here is what I mean by that, brace yourself this might get long winded.

What would a manager bring to this game differently than the main series? You gave a few good ideas about face manager vs heel manager, but how does that happen in an instant? Is it AI controlled or player controlled (AI controlled can be unpredictable and unreliable/Player controlled means possibly taking my focus off my opponent) (Unless hold on just had an idea...I'll get back to it later :laugh: ) Would there even be a referee since the first game didn't have them, if not than half of what a heel manager brings to the match would be useless; if there is a referee, than wrestlers without a manager have a great disadvantage and if that is true than would that make a manager absolutely necessary to win? If I had no manager in my corner and was facing a heel manager that would interfere in my match, or if I was a heel going against a babyface with a manager who was boosting his performance, my reaction would be the same---target the manager (painfully) this being the main reason women would not make the cut even as managers.

Also, exclusivity should it matter? Every All Stars character presented in the first game was created in a way that attempted to capture the very essence of every personality on that roster, each one was special. When you played the story mode to challenge The Undertaker it felt special and a lot of that had to do with our interaction with Paul Bearer. He belonged with The Undertaker and no one else, yes he could have been paired up with Kane but it's just not the same. Do you see what I am getting at? Of all the managers you mentioned above, most of them are remembered for being paired with their most famous clients. For some of those wrestlers much of the success in their careers is due to being paired with that manager because it was special. So should it be that way in the game? I kind of think it should but that sucks for people like us who would create their other clients.

As I said I do like the idea of managers, let's keep thinking on how to implement them successfully. Should we think about each one as being unique in their role? Maybe there is a role for them already, for example:

In The Undertakers profile his temporary ability is described as Dead Man Walking...go ahead read it and come back...if Paul Bearer was in the game, once you build up your meter Paul could unleash the power of the urn when Undertaker is down to cause him to go into Dead Man Walking mode. As an opponent this is more fair because I would know when Undertaker's meter is charged and I could stop it from activating if I can take Paul out of the match momentarily. Just thought of this thanks...

I don't know if you all agree with this line of thinking, but if so here's a challenge. Andre the Giant's profile is not complete yet how could something similar work with Bobby Heenan unless you disagree in that choice of manager of course.

I don't know if you guys can tell but I am really excited by this discussion, please keep it going (you're drawing me back in dammit)

I'm back again another thing KingKhan pointed out was the lack of managers for modern wrestlers. One way this could be somewhat alleviated is to make a few cuts or giving a secondary function to certain guys, like Titus O'neil and Xavier Woods. They could be in the game as wrestlers and/or managers. Titus managing Apollo and Xavier the New Day. Just a thought, just like a tag team partner that comes out to watch during a singles match.

First off: Whether the manager is AI controlled or Player controlled is optional. Here's how it would work: When your select your character, the game will ask if you want to select a manager. If you say yes, it'll give you 2 options: AI Controlled Manager/ Player Controlled Manager. If you pick AI Controlled then it will automate the managers reaction to the heel manager. You're right that it can by unreliable, but it's your choice if you want to take that risk or not. If you pick Player Controlled, then whenever a heel manager interferes, the game will show you a button on the screen you can press if you want to have your manager even the odds.EX. PRESS B TO GET ASSIST FROM MANAGER. Then you momentarily gain control over the face manager so you can run over to the heel manager and chase him away from the face wrestler, and if you get a chance, punch him out. You're right that it could distract you from the in-ring action, but again, it's your choice. It's up to you to pick what you feel is best: have an AI Controlled Manager that could potentially be unreliable, or pick Player Controlled Manager which could potentially distract you from the in-ring action. That sound good to you?

As for the " exclusivity" matter here's how I think it could work: When you pick your character and decide to have a manager, it will by default display the manager that manages/ has managed that particular wrestler in the past. EX: if you pick The Undertaker or Kane Paul Bearer will immediately be on the manager display screen if you decide to have a manager. ( Unless the particular wrestler has never been managed by any of the selectable managers, in that case it will just go to the first manager in the selection screen by default) If you don't want that manager you CAN pick another one, your choice.

I like the " Dead Man Walking " idea with Paul Bearer, we can discuss implementing managers into wrestlers Active Ability later, once I take a look back at the wrestler profiles on the first page and think up some more ideas for that.

Hope this answers your questions, let's keep this thread moving...

The only thing about tying a temporary ability to a manager that wouldn't work (I thought about this later) is when you are in a match that wouldn't feature a manager. Like a Royal Rumble match, if I was shooting to get up to 10 guys in the ring that would probably max out the power needed by the game to run that match, no room for managers. So when Undertaker activates Dead Man Walking it would work as I originally designed, but it eliminates the importance of Paul's play mechanic.

Sheesh I'm talking about design and play mechanics, like I'm actually developing the game...lol

• 1 month later...

I saw that someone had made a legends mod for WWF No Mercy. It got me thinking what a good mod for allstars would be. How about a Monday Night Wars one? Keeping with the same roster count, arena count, etc. Here's what I came up with.

WWE

1. Steve Austin

2. The Rock

3. Bret Hart

4. Shawn Michaels

5. HHH

6. Chris Jericho

7. Mick Foley

8. Big Show

9. Xpac

10. Billy Gunn

11. Road Dogg

12. Edge

13. Godfather

14. Kane

15. British Bulldog

WCW

16. Hulk Hogan

17. Sting

18. Kevin Nash

19. Scott Hall

20. Goldberg

21. Lex Luger

22. Macho Man

23. Giant

24. Ultimate Warrior

25. Ric Flair

26. DDP

27. Chris Benoit

28. Eddie Guerrero

29. Rey Mysterio

30. Scott Steiner

DLC Packs

WWE Legends:

1. Roddy Piper

2. Andre the Giant

3. Vader

4. Big Boss Man

WWE Attitude

1. Jeff Hardy

2. Matt Hardy

3. Jim Neidhart

4. Owen Hart

5. Val Venis

WCW

1. Rick Steiner

2. Buff Bagwell

3. Kidman

4. Ultimo Dragon

Arenas

WWF Wrestlemania 13, RAW is WAR, Royal Rumble

WCW Starrcade, Nitro, Halloween Havoc

Path of Champions

1. WWF Championship taking on Steve Austin

2. NWO Championship taking on Hollywood Hogan

3. WWF Tag Team Championship taking on New Age Outlaws

Again just for fun. I took inspiration from WWF No Mercy and WCW NWO revenge. Modding this game should be possible, still doing my research.

Nice to meet everyone!

Archived