The PROGRESS Discussion Thread

Oresama

Tommy End is awesome and would be a great choice. He never competed for the title, so he would definitely keep things fresh. I was told that he had a great match with Chris Hero on PWG a little while ago, but I didn't actually see it. Chris Hero makes me kinda sad nowadays, and I can't pinpoint one reason, but I think it's that WWE funk that stuck with him IMO.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the Thunderbastard would be a great annual match to have. I actually really liked Ospreay winning it, I thought he shone like crazy during it. I agree it should be a new winner the second time around though.

Well, I wasn't really talking about repeating winners as much as I was saying that Ospreay is not my favorite from PROGRESS. Although I understand why they push him considering his age and connection with the audience, there's quite a lot of people that I like ahead of him, like Mastiff, Havoc, Dar, Scurll, Ligero, Brown, End, and some others. I may have a slight bias against high flyers, I guess.

By the way, what about Nathan Cruz? Is he part of that "Faceless" stable? Did he have a fall out with the owners? He was a former champ but seems to be nowhere on shows now. Well, PROGRESS has a penchant for long-form storytelling, so I guess something could be under wraps. I hope so, he's a very talented guy.

Hmmm...that's a good point about Cruz. Why he hasn't been around for a while or whatever he's a member of Faceless. I think he was supposed to be teaming with Haskins at Unbelievable, Jeff! but was replaced by Sha Samuels for whatever reason and hasn't been since. Speaking of Haskins...he's another guy I'd like to see step up into the title scene. I think the winner of Thunderbastard will on whether Havoc's still champion or not. As you said, PROGRESS like their long-term storylines so based on that, I think Ospreay is the one most likely to dethrone Jimmy, I actually wouldn't be surprised at him winning this weekend.

I was thinking that this could be a good way to elevate someone and Ospreay doesn't need it, although this wouldn't be a "need" thing obviously. I think Haskins or Dar would be my bets. Something PROGRESS could do is give the debuting wrestler, Jack Gallagher, the win. It seems like something they might do. That's what I like about this tournament, I don't really know. I know I'll pull for Mastiff though.

Results of night one:

SPLX SSS16 Tournament 1st Round

Will Ospreay def. El Ligero to advance

Joel Allen makes his PROGRESS Refereeing debut

Mark Haskins def. Jack Gallagher by submission to advance

Rampage Brown def. Big Daddy Walter to advance

Side note: Its not often that someone out sizes or matches Rampage in the power department but Big Daddy Walter certainly can! That being said Brown picked up Walter for a samoan drop and piledriver!!!

Roderick Strong def. Tommy End to advance

Out comes the PROGRESS Tag Team Champs, The Faceless and put a beat down on End, a third member in a suit appears and tells the masked members to remove their masks, its DAMON MOSER & DANNY GARNELL, the suited man beckons someone from the back and its EL LIGERO, who comes out in black, they all enter the ring and they remove the suited mans mask and its THE SHOWSTEALER NATHAN CRUZ!!!!!

Cruz says theyve been over looked and are the hardest working men in the UK and reminds us of each mans history in PROGRESS, the crowd chants BORING! and Cruz says they are declaring war, not on PROGRESS, but on the fans! Cruz says the foot soliders are normally the first to fall, El Ligero kicks Garnell and then Moser joins in the attack. Cruz says The Faceless are dead and that they will now be known as The Origin and Cruz & Ligero pick up the Tag Shields as Moser walks to the back.

INTERVAL TIME

Tommy End starts the second half with a message for The Origin, hes just got off the phone with a friend whos heading to the airport right now and Jom Smallman has a meeting with PROGRESS Management and tomorrow on Part 2? it will be The Origin versus The Sumerian Death Squad for the PROGRESS Tag Team Championship!

Marty Scurll def. Eddie Dennis by submission to advance

Dave Mastiff def. Noam Dar by referee stoppage to advance

A clash of heads nearly put and end to the match, as Dar couldnt get to his feet, Dar begs Ref Paz to continue the match, the match continued and Mastiff to attack the head and neck area. Paz eventually called for the bell and Mastiff advances. Dar was helped to the back by Glen Joseph and the ring crew.

Tommaso Ciampa def. Damo OConnor to advance

Both Ciampa & Damo embraced after the match as a great show of respect.

Zack Sabre Jr def. Zack Gibson by submission to advance

SPLX SSS16 Tournament Quarter-Final line up is as follows:

Will Ospreay Vs Mark Haskins

Rampage Brown Vs Roderick Strong

Marty Scurll Vs Dave Mastiff

Tommaso Ciampa Vs Zack Sabre Jr

The London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) def. The Regression (PROGRESS Champion, Jimmy Havoc & Paul Robinson)

After brawling around ringside, Havkc eventually powerbombed James Davis off the apron onto the floor and for the time being its become Rob Lynch against both members of The Regression, Davis eventually made it back to the ring but doesnt look in good shape. Davis made a big come back taking out Havoc & Robinson, its all Riots at the moment. Some miscommunication sees Robinson kick Havoc in the Head. Davis missed a massive moonsault after Havoc rolled out of the way. Lynch reversed a roll-up lariat and delivered it to Havoc instead. Some more back and forth Havoc goes for the pin but Lynch breaks it up. Riots with a double team on Robinson, but he reversed it and delivered a low blow. All four are down and Chris Roberts start the 10 Count. Riots are up and circling Robinson until he delivers low blow, double pop up sit out powerbomb on Robinson, Pin attempt, Havoc breaks it up they hit Havoc with the GBH and the double cover seals the win.

I haven't watched it yet but it looks good, here's my predictions for the rest of the tournament:

As I predicted before, I think Ospreay is going to be overall winner. I think we'll get Ospreay/ZSJ in the final.

Also, as we've speculated recently:

Chapter 20 happens in July 26th and will be entitled THUNDERBASTARD: Beyond THUNDERBASTARD

Boom. Cruz is back. Nailed it. EL LIGERO being part of the Faceless/Origin though is very surprising.

Results were about what I would expect. Sucks that End lost to Strong, but I guess The Sumerian Death Squad is more important for the tag division now, the singles scene is full. Yay for Mastiff, really thought they could go with Dar. Ospreay vs. Haskins is the only match-up that doesn't really excite me much for Night 2.

I also think Ospreay wins the title... Screw it, I'm going with my boy Mastiff all the way. I really wanna watch this show. Sucks that I can't pay for it.

I was torn between Mastiff and ZSJ getting to the final. I think they're going for an "against all odds" win for Ospreay like they did with him in the Thunderbastard. Mastiff certainly fits with with that but either way, I'm fine with it. I see it going like this:

Ospreay def. Haskins

Strong def. Rampage

Mastiff def. Scurll

ZSJ def. Ciampa

Ospreay def. Strong

ZSJ def. Mastiff

Ospreay def. ZSJ

Yeah, that sounds like about what I think they will do. It wouldn't surprise me if they went the star route with ZSJ vs. Strong, who had a great match in PWG just last month. But I think ZSJ/Ospreay is the most likely scenario too.

To be honest, it's very possible that Scurll beats Mastiff just to set up the former tag team match between him and Sabre Jr.

Rampage Brown seems to hate imports. I wonder how stiff he'll work against Strong. :lol:

Mastiff vs. Ciampa would be something I would like to see very much.

I didn't even consider the possibility of the LDRS facing each other. They did have a great match in the early days of PROGRESS. I wouldn't mind seeing that again but yeah, I'm fully expecting the Team SPLX match to take place.

Jinny Vs Pollyanna in a No DQ Match is set for Night Two also.

Before The Faceless were revealed I wanted and was expecting SDS to take it but then they were revealed and like you said, I didn't think they would because they were revealed. I'm happy they did though. I'm happy for Ospreay too and could see him taking the gold when his title shot comes (Thunderbastard?). I also just remembered that Morgan Webster has his Natural Progression shot, I'm not big on him though so yeah.....

This show seems to be getting big praise. I've seen a few people referring to it as the best PROGRESS show to date.

I've seen it too. Praises especially to Ciampa/Sabre Jr.

Wow, Morgan Webster still has his title shot, right. Hummmm... I think he's all right, too. I don't think he wins the title though. Maybe he cashes in after Ospreay wins it, for a high flying match or something like that.

Regarding Morgan. I could see that.

Eddie Dennis' win in the Scramble Match is intriguing. I think he'll be in the title picture sooner or later. A possible Thunderbastard winner.....

PROGRESS will be appearing at Download this year, I wonder if they'll release anything from that.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Havoc vs. Will Ospreay is for the PROGRESS Championship is set for Chapter 20 and it's a No Disqualification Match with The London Riots at ringside. As I've been saying, I see Ospreay being the one to dethrone Havoc but with the No DQ stipulations and The Riots involvement, I could see Jimmy picking up another win before finally losing it.

Obviously the Thunderbastard Match itself will also be taking place. None of the participants have been announced yet but I can see Eddie Dennis taking it this year.

Finished Day 1 today. Phenomenal show. Not a bad match on the card, a great atmosphere and a fantastic crowd. ZSJ/Gibson was probably MOTN for me. I really love the character of Jimmy Havoc. Aside from his match at Chapter 13, this is the first time I've seen him since he was in a Deathmatch tournament in Germany in 2010-11-ish and he's a totally different guy. Feels like the crowd truly hates him and he has a real badass feel to him. Noob question though - During the segment with The Faceless, what was the Shield thing? Is that their equivalent/substitute to tag belts? Anyways, I highly recommend this show if anyone's looking to get into the promotion.

Unrelated, but I love the crowds Soccer style chants at Roddy. SHITTY! SHITTY! SHITTY LITTLE BOOTS! :laugh:

During the segment with The Faceless, what was the Shield thing? Is that their equivalent/substitute to tag belts?

Yeah it's their Tag Team Championship. The PROGRESS Championship was originally represented by staff too until Havoc burnt it at the end of last year and debuted the belt. Here's the staff:

2ppk1p0.jpg

I really like the use of the shield rather than a traditional championship belt, it's unique and hopefully they keep it. The PROGRESS Championship belt looks great, it's one of my favourite belts in wrestling currently but I did like the staff.

Yeah, the Shield is pretty cool. I think Havoc had the staff at Chapter 13 as well. Cool concept but I feel like the title belt is the better way to go. The staff suited Havoc because it has a somewhat dark, ominous look but I feel like it would look out of place to see Zack Sabre Jr. or Will Ospreay carrying it around. Shield is kind of a different story I think.

• 1 month later...

A few more matches have been announced for Thunderbastard:

Dave Mastiff vs. Noam Dar

The Hunter Brothers vs. The Sumerian Death Squad - Tag Team Championship Match

Damien Dunne vs. Sebastian - First Round Match in the Third Natural Progression Series

A nice lineup so far. Also, PROGRESS is holding their first show outside of London in December. CHAPTER 24: HIT THE NORTH! on the 6th at The Ritz. I'm actually gutted I won't be able to go to this but they'll be running regular shows at The Ritz next year too so I'm definitely going to catch one of those.

Archived