GFW Roster Revealed

And the crowd went mild..

Chael Sonnen named GFW Analyst; Roster includes international talents, former professional football players and more

Las Vegas – Global Force Wrestling revealed some of its talent roster in a press conference today at the Orleans Arena. The roster includes talented international athletes, former NFL players, mixed martial artists and more.

“We have slowly but steadily been building toward this day,” said Jeff Jarrett, GFW founder and CEO. “The feedback I have received in my international travels has been off the charts. Fans are ready for the reveal of the entire GFW roster and they’re eager for their voices to be heard!”

Staying true to the GFW mission statement, the roster offers “elite professional athletes from five different continents,” as well as “real stories, real people and real meaning.” Fans will be able to see stars like the “Bullet Club” tag team of “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows; the “Killer Elite Squad,” a tag team composed of Lance Hoyt and Davey Boy Smith Jr., who have made a name for themselves in Japan as well as stints throughout the world. Also joining GFW are Chris “The Adonis” Mordetsky, South African sensation PJ Black, former NFL offensive lineman Quinn “Moose” Ojinnaka, and women’s stars Lei’D Tapa and Thea Trinidad, with more names to come. GFW has alliances with 13 promotions on five continents, including New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Mexico’s AAA and more top independent organizations in Europe, Australia and Africa.

Also at the press conference, outspoken MMA star and ESPN broadcaster Chael Sonnen announced his role as an expert analyst for Global Force Wrestling.

“As an expert analyst, Chael Sonnen is something we’ve talked about for a long time,” said Jarrett. “He’s not one to shy from speaking his mind, and we’re all eager to see what he has to say about the GFW athletes.”

I mean I've got a lot of time for Gallows and Gun, but the biggest star there is the guys are best remembered as CM Punk's heater and the other is the announcer who's never called a pro-wrestling match.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like both the teams that were annouced and Chris Masters is great, but the others were all meh. Hopefully they have bigger and better stats yet to reveal (which I'm sure they do.)

A pretty decent roster with the two tag teams, Chris Maters and Justin Gabriel among the list. I didn't expect any ground-breaking names early on for the company and the biggest one to probably eventually join will be AJ Styles.

That said the company is just starting out and will grow over time. I don't think anyone should expect them to start competing with TNA overnight.

A pretty decent roster with the two tag teams, Chris Maters and Justin Gabriel among the list. I didn't expect any ground-breaking names early on for the company and the biggest one to probably eventually join will be AJ Styles.

That said the company is just starting out and will grow over time. I don't think anyone should expect them to start competing with TNA overnight.

I think he definitely should have pulled out the big guns right away. It's a decent roster of talent, but Jeff is being made a mockery of right now honestly. It's been over a year of build up and today we finally hear some names, and it mostly consists of lower-card ex-WWE/TNA wrestlers. Today should have been the day to announce El Patron, Styles, Mysterio, Samoa Joe, or whoever he may have up his sleeve.

I'd like the roster to end up something like this:

Mainevent: El Patron, Mysterio(atleast 1 of those two), AJ Styles, 1 of NJPW's big three(pref Nakamura)

Upper Midcard: John Morrison, Shelton Benjamin

Midcard: Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Jushin Liger, Matt Sydal, Chris Sabin, Zack Sabre

Tag Teams: RPG Vice, Young Bucks(unless they agreed that deal with ROH then they can't), Dudley Boyz, Time Splitters

Women: Evie, Madison Eagles, Ivelisse, Taya, Sexy Star, Candice LeRae, Alpha Female,

Sure a few people wouldn't want to see some of them, but they're recognizable names and GFW will need that, and obviously other guys too but I'm tired and don't really feel like looking up the finest wrestlers from South Africa etc right now.

Mainevent: El Patron, Mysterio(atleast 1 of those two), AJ Styles, 1 of NJPW's big three(pref Nakamura)

Midcard: Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Jushin Liger, Matt Sydal, Chris Sabin, Zack Sabre

Tag Teams: RPG Vice, Young Bucks(unless they agreed that deal with ROH then they can't), Dudley Boyz, Time Splitters

Women: Evie, Madison Eagles, Ivelisse, Taya, Sexy Star, Candice LeRae, Alpha Female,

Sure a few people wouldn't want to see some of them, but they're recognizable names and GFW will need that, and obviously other guys too but I'm tired and don't really feel like looking up the finest wrestlers from South Africa etc right now.

Hell no, they should all stay in LU. And the ones that have not apearred in LU yet that i bolded pretty much are a given to show up somwhere down the line.

GFW better not take talent from LU.

Hell no, they should all stay in LU. And the ones that have not apearred in LU yet that i bolded pretty much are a given to show up somwhere down the line.

GFW better not take talent from LU.

They wouldn't be taking them from LU, they have a partnership with AAA, so it's quite likely that a few LU guys will be working both LU and GFW.

I would imagine that Lucha Underground guys are already under some sort of contract. If you look at the Ricochet and Matt Cross, they kind of just dropped everything once Lucha Underground started. Ricochet was the champion in Dragon Gate and seemed to be set up nicely in NJPW. I don't think he's been back to Japan since LU started. Matt Cross was doing pretty well and was on a win streak in SMASH Wrestling in Canada and was their champion. He's also kind of dropped off in most of the places he used to regular.

I think he definitely should have pulled out the big guns right away. It's a decent roster of talent, but Jeff is being made a mockery of right now honestly. It's been over a year of build up and today we finally hear some names, and it mostly consists of lower-card ex-WWE/TNA wrestlers. Today should have been the day to announce El Patron, Styles, Mysterio, Samoa Joe, or whoever he may have up his sleeve.

But whose fault is that for getting their expectations over blown?

The built up of GFW is probably similar to that of TNA, the only difference is Jeff Jarrett is documenting it more on Twitter and Facebook than when TNA first started. So if you want to blame him for something you could possibly blame him for that, instead of just keeping everything in the dark as the company develops.

But lets be honest for a second. The success or failure of GFW will not be based on if they sign AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio, or Samoa Joe. The success of the company will be based around the no-name talent that no one has heard that they turn into superstars for the next 5-10 years.

AJ Styles wasn't a very big name when he made his debut and ended up losing the Flying Elves on the very first show. But over time the company grew and so did he, to become the face of the company. All while having lower-card talent around him like Konnan, Ken Shamrock, Road Dogg ect..

Maybe I'm just optimistic or am giving GFW the benefit of the doubt but I think anyone making a mockery of Jeff Jarrett just needs to take a deep breath and take a step back to look at where the company is right now.

But whose fault is that for getting their expectations over blown?

The built up of GFW is probably similar to that of TNA, the only difference is Jeff Jarrett is documenting it more on Twitter and Facebook than when TNA first started. So if you want to blame him for something you could possibly blame him for that, instead of just keeping everything in the dark as the company develops.

But lets be honest for a second. The success or failure of GFW will not be based on if they sign AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio, or Samoa Joe. The success of the company will be based around the no-name talent that no one has heard that they turn into superstars for the next 5-10 years.

AJ Styles wasn't a very big name when he made his debut and ended up losing the Flying Elves on the very first show. But over time the company grew and so did he, to become the face of the company. All while having lower-card talent around him like Konnan, Ken Shamrock, Road Dogg ect..

Maybe I'm just optimistic or am giving GFW the benefit of the doubt but I think anyone making a mockery of Jeff Jarrett just needs to take a deep breath and take a step back to look at where the company is right now.

Well it was the Jarrett's running around saying they're ushering in a new wrestling boom, but the first batch of wrestlers have underwhelmed given the hype GFW have made for themselves. You can't blame people for having high hopes when they've been told to have them.

Exactly. Also, if he isn't bringing any big guns, or is operating in a smaller scale than we imagined he would, then he should have something to differentiate his vision from the other visions out there. Instead he uses, yeah, decent to good wrestlers, but mostly former WWE guys and/or WWE-types of wrestlers. Today was the first announcement, it should have been bigger than this. Either by name value or by a more specific vision that could excite fans. In my mind, Jarrett accomplished neither, thus, the announcement had me extremely disappointed.

I get what you guys are saying, I just think there has to be some patience. Also if you read the tweets of their GFW page most of the tweets are of the tone of this one

The #GFW roster reveals starts Wed. 5/6 at 10A PT @orleansarena. Ticket info & a very special guest. #GFWVegas:

It's not like he went Dixie Carter on us and hyped the 2nd coming of professional wrestling.

It's not the build to the reveal alone that disappoints me, it's the build as a whole. For over a year we've been hearing about this huge project he's working on and how he's going to change the face of wrestling, and this press conference fell flat. The biggest name he announced was Chael Sonnen and he's just a commentator. Don't get me wrong I hope this blows up and becomes a huge promotion because he has the resources and working relationships to do it IMO, but Justin Gabriel and Harry Smith aren't gonna generate a huge buzz about his product.

Ross was asked about the potential of him returning to the commentary booth, specifically with Jeff Jarrett’s Global Force Wrestling. JR said it’s a possibility, going on to reveal the format of GFW’s upcoming tapings:

“WWE, no. There may be down the road some WWE opportunities, but I don’t think it will be in the broadcasting side. Time will tell on that. If the Global Force thing is there, I enjoyed working with Jeff Jarrett for the New Japan thing in January. I hope that they do great. I think that they can do a real good TV show with the roster they’re putting together. He still has to find a network to air his shows on. I would be very interested in working with Global Force, it’s just a matter of time obligations and budgets and everything. Everything has to fit schedule-wise. Adding 13 weeks of TV tapings, then going to Nashville and doing voice-overs, all of a sudden it becomes a pretty big project. And I have so many projects already in the pipeline. I just don’t know if we’re going to be able to balance everything to make that happen. I’m not against it, Jeff and I have talked about it. I just don’t know that I can do it because of the time obligations. I’m a big fan of what they’re doing there. As I understand it, it’s going to be 12 one-hour shows, and then a 13th final episode. I’m a big fan of the one-hour shows. The finale will be a two-hour special. I think that’s a good concept. There’s some real good wrestlers coming in as well. They’d be fun to call.”

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/jim-ross-gfw-interview-tapings-return/35497/

I would imagine that Lucha Underground guys are already under some sort of contract. If you look at the Ricochet and Matt Cross, they kind of just dropped everything once Lucha Underground started. Ricochet was the champion in Dragon Gate and seemed to be set up nicely in NJPW. I don't think he's been back to Japan since LU started. Matt Cross was doing pretty well and was on a win streak in SMASH Wrestling in Canada and was their champion. He's also kind of dropped off in most of the places he used to regular.

Ricochet hasn't been in Dragon Gate in almost a year.

Archived