Suicide

Crazy.

Your defintiton is based situationally as in "i experienced X, so did they". Thats not how it works , though. By your logic everyrhing should make us equally happy, if ecerything makes us equally sad and its up to ourselves how we handle it - then it follows everything makes us equally happy as well. If you diaagree that everything makes us equally happy/sad - then it follows that your situation vs anyone elses comparison is void.

Also full control of our brain and emotion? Please. You cannot mean that sincerely.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your defintiton is based situationally as in "i experienced X, so did they". Thats not how it works , though. By your logic everyrhing should make us equally happy, if ecerything makes us equally sad and its up to ourselves how we handle it - then it follows everything makes us equally happy as well.

Also full control of our brain and emotion? Please. You cannot mean that sincerely.

You have the option to change the things in your life influencing your emotion, yes. This is why positive thinking seminars and such are so highly praised. And yeah, my definition is 100% based on my experience, it can't possibly be formulated otherwise....I mean, if people can take my situation and say "Oh well whatever, you may have made it through that but it doesn't mean anything to the subject" because I'm alive, but on the opposite side take those situations and say "yeah but you didn't know how badly it messed them up! You can tell it was the only option!" because they're dead....I'm not entirely sure how we can have a civil discussion about it. You can't just dismiss a set of evidence regardless of it being me lmao

It's because you're arguing feom a standpoint of your situation = their situaion. Youe argumwnt is cherrypicked shit situations in your life your didn't kill yourself over - and by that logic neither should other people.

But it's not evidence, that's the whole deal. People are different, different situations affect people differently. You have made it through a lot of hard stuff but, imagine, there are people who would've been a lot less affected by it and wouldn't even regard it that big of a deal. Then there's people who would've folded under a lot less. And that's why your (or anyone's) personal experience and threshold is irrelevant to other people.

But it's not evidence, that's the whole deal. People are different, different situations affect people differently. You have made it through a lot of hard stuff but, imagine, there are people who would've been a lot less affected by it and wouldn't even regard it that big of a deal. Then there's people who would've folded under a lot less. And that's why your (or anyone's) personal experience and threshold is irrelevant to other people.

I get that, I'm just saying its formulated the exact same way everyone else has formulated their answers, from personal experience. I could have easily sided with the "everyone has different lives and there's a lot we haven't discovered biologically about people that make them tick" answer and been happy because scientifically its true, but my honest opinion based on how people form opinions is that its cowardice to kill yourself and I wouldn't support the idea because I've seen lives get better.

I'm gonna oust myself from the conversation since its turned into a standstill opinion wise and we're basically just going back and forth on it haha

We do have complete control over our brains if we don't have that mental illness that causes depression for no reasons.

Are... are you serious? Okay, then. Right now, at this very moment, make yourself extremely sad, then immediately happy. Alternate, like flipping a switch. Make yourself not love your significant other. Make yourself sexually attracted to your computer. Make yourself fall asleep instantaneously.

All you have to go off of is your personal experience and formulated opinion, which by your standard is just as invalid as mine because you can't possibly know if those people are capable of getting out of their tailspin because they ended it before you gathered any field research.

Which is precisely why I'm not making any claims, unlike you, in regards to whether or not they put in as much effort as possible, if said effort would've been enough, etc. My personal experience doesn't account for other people's experience - it accounts for me. Nothing more, nothing less.

So yes based on personal experience, specifically the fact that I didn't kill myself over stuff that is deemed worthy of killing yourself, I can come to the conclusion that you can make your life better if you actually try.

That's not a warranted position to take, because all you've demonstrated is that you, personally, were capable of getting over those very specific set of circumstances. It tells us nothing about other circumstances. For all you know, there could, in fact, be circumstances that would lead you to kill yourself. You wouldn't know, because you haven't experienced everything. And even if you did experience everything, and conclusively proved that you, personally, were capable of overcoming all of it, that tells us nothing about whether or not everyone else can overcome all of it. As I've said before, we all feel and react differently to certain stimuli. We're not on a even playing field.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you in order to substantiate that premise of yours.

I don't know how to respond to this topic.

It's rather personal for myself, at one point I believed everyone has the right to end their life depending on the reasoning besides myself. But, that was six years ago and I've lost and seen multiple people I know lose people to suicide from mental disorders like depression, eating disorders, etc or cyber bullying, bullying and harassment.

In a way it is sad to be ninety-nine and live past everyone you once knew, but it is even sadder to be as young as twenty-one and feel there is no light. Every perspective is different, as the quote states "for those involved, no explanation is necessary, for those who are not, no explanation is possible".

I've found that you can't explain pain to someone, you have to experience it.

I still believe everyone has the right depending on the situation, but I've also realized that a lot of those situations should have been looked at from a different perspective before hand. But, I suppose when you have someone end their life because of you. It changes the perspective of the whole topic, which is why I said I don't know how to respond.

What's so admirable about sticking around and being miserable?

You could one day not be miserable

Who's to say said emotions will stay the same? I've been through depression and have contemplated offing myself several times, and I'm not saying everybody will think the way I do because that is just a completely absurd statement to make. However, I do think there could be alternatives for a lot of people going through tough situations -- alternatives that do not involve self-harming or suicide.

I can get why some people would call it the cowards way, but I never got it myself. As Crazy said it takes a lot to come to the decision to end your life. Sure the reasonings may come off as silly or unwarranted at times, but that's our perspective. The person whose deciding to do it obviously has their reasons which come from their personal outlook and feelings. Besides suicide has been seen as an honorable way to end your life if you did something wrong in older cultures.

Personally I wouldn't kill myself over something like a fit of depression. However I have thought about it for their reasons when I was younger. I've decided in recent years that I would only kill myself if I knew I was going to die. If I was given the news that I was sick and would die very soon then I'd kill myself. My reasoning being that at least this way I have some control over it. To me in that instance dying from the illness would be a bad way to go because it would mean I'd have failed eternally and no matter what I or doctors could do could never get better. Whereas if I killed myself I'd have the control of when, where, and how I left. At least that way I can pass on knowing that in the end I didn't give in or failed. As for how I'd want to do it, I always felt that drowning myself would be the best option. Lot more peaceful and painless than shooting or hanging myself.

I've always felt that drowning would be one of the worst deaths, along with burning alive and falling from a great height. Knowing you're about to die and can do nothing about it... scares the shit out of me just thinking about it.

It goes both ways. Why make a person live in hell only because it benefits your life? A lot of people mistake sadness for depression when they're not at all alike. Sadness is temporary, but depression is chronic and unhealthy. It says a lot about the pain the person went through to be willing to end everything. Of course, there may be cases of people who do it for attention.. which is silly because there isn't internet to see if people cared when you're dead.

All I have to say is that I don't think there isn't one set template for people who commit suicide. I had a friend. She had dreams and ambitions, but suffered through a lot in her life so in terms of her mental state, she went through good periods and bad periods. During a bad period she would convince herself everything was bad and nothing would get better and nobody who could change her mind. I don't know what exactly happened, but she was in a bad place and decided to jump in front of a train before anyone could stop her. People can switch like that. You wouldn't never see yourself doing it one day and then have something bad happen to you the next, add that to all the bad things that has ever happened to you, think it's all bad, then the opportunity arrives, because you so happen to be at a train station and you take it without much thought put into it.

I know someone else who wasn't even troubled, but his girlfriend broke up with him, he stumbled upon a bunch of medicine laying around and then just took everything and overdosed on a complete whim. He survived the ordeal, but what I am trying to say is that suicide isn't something that many people really understand, there are varying cases as to why someone takes that step, so when people respond to a case with the typical "why didnt they seek help", "it's not the way", "things will get better" stuff, it might've been said with the right intentions, but it's not applicable for everybody. Sometimes it just happens under pure apathy, but people tend to underestimate all of it.

Archived