The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Cena was the latest guest on Variety.coms Playback podcast with Kristopher Tapley to promote his new movie The Wall, which released in theaters this weekend. During the interview, the 16-time WWE champion discussed his role in the film, the performance of his co-star Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Avengers: Age of Ultron, Kick-Ass), proposing to Nikki Bella at WrestleMania this year, and more.

One piece of news coming out of the interview which will excite wrestling fans is the confirmation that more Southpaw Regional Wrestling is on its way, according to Cena. SRW is a series of YouTube shorts put together by WWE, based on the old pro wrestling territory days, that released back in March to tremendous acclaim from online fans. Cena plays an old-timey announcer named Lance Catamaran, who is joined at the booth by a constantly hungover Chett Chetterfield (Fandango).

Below are a few highlights from his interview with Variety.

John Cena on the wrestling industry changing, and being able to create a new character for Southpaw Regional Wrestling:

Its amazing, because it captures everything of that era, but we never show any wrestling. Its great. It just goes to show how far sports entertainment has come. The sports entertainment of yore, the old WWF, or the WWE Attitude Era, or even when I started coming in as a newer generation post-Attitude Era, you very much focussed on your brand and only your brand. I remember being the hip-hop guy. I dressed hip-hop, made an album, made videos, free-styled people in the parking lot; its constant method acting. That was me, I love hip-hop culture. But at the same time, thats not all me. I also love to tell jokes, if you get me in the right scenario Im pretty decent with my hands in a fight. Theres certain facets of your personality, and because you have to identify with the audience, you try to showcase the one that will resonate the most. And in my case, the fact that Ive been on TV for fifteen years, my life is an open book to these people. So now Im at the point where I really have a lot of fun, and I like to mess around with stuff like [southpaw Regional Wrestling].

On how YouTube has changed the game for content creation:

YouTube is a great outlet to do digital shorts and fun videos. We did one on the Bellas YouTube channel celebrating half a million subscribers, where we got naked. It truly was just a funny video where I was the butt of the joke, pun intended, and Im looking like an idiot. But everyone had a good laugh about it, and it was a great way to tell the subscribers hey, thank you for your support. So Southpaw was awesome, because you get once again to create a new character.

On the creation of his Lance Catamaran character, and how he came up with the name:

I, like you, was a fan of Gordon Solie. Lance Russel came to mind, and I tried to get a commentary name that sounded like Lance Russel, but not like Lance Russel; almost sounding like Ron Burgandy. I remember passing the Catamaran Hotel in San Diego, and going Lance Catamaran. Holy s thats it, its Lance Catamaran. It sounds like a sailboat, its distinguished hes Lance Catamaran! And the reason I chose Utica is because Ithaca College has a wonderful broadcast program. And nobody tells you this, but once again, you get out of it what you put into it.

On the success of Southpaw Regional Wrestling and its future:

That is whats fun about the creative environment. It was a hit, and theres a great core audience in the WWE that looks for stuff like that. Yes they like to see heated rivalries, and they love that good versus evil story, but they also have a sense of humor. And were essentially laughing at the industry were parodying the industry the way it was. People enjoy it, and here we are thirty years from that era or more, and we can look back and laugh at the way things were done. It was really fun, and theres more on the way. I have seen Tex Ferguson unleashed be on the lookout for more Tex Ferguson.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/838989-john-cena-confirms-more-southpaw-regional-wrestling-on-the-way-reveals-how-lance-catamaran-got-his-name

• 2 weeks later...

Since the early 80's, beginning with the very first Wrestlemania, celebrities have been associated with WWE. Some have been fans while others made an appearance just for the paycheck. However, no one ever hears about a celebrity having issues with WWE people. Snoop Dogg has no problem speaking his mind and not even a WWE executive producer can tell him what to do

Bruce Prichard, on his podcast, related a story where Snoop Dogg cussed out Kevin Dunn at a Girls Gone Wild show that had partnered up with WWE

"But the funniest story of it all for those everybody knows Kevin Dunn was the/is the executive producer for WWE and Kevin was executive producer for this. And Snoop Dogg they were all warned ahead of time listen cops are going to be out in force no drugs! And when we say no drugs that means marijuana too because apparently, thats a drug apparently, its illegal in Texas. So the cops and the state troopers and all this s had come in and said hey, you know we smell one damn joint, anything coming in were going to arrest people. We see any underage people drinking were arresting them and this shows gonna be done with.

So Snoop shows up a couple of hours late. Rolls up, billows of smoke coming out of the limo, so on and so forth. And as the legend goes, Kevin Dunn is beside himself because Snoop has missed all the rehearsals. [snoops] showing up, theyre getting ready to go live and Kevin is trying to explain to Snoop what hes got to do for that night. And Snoop is just standing there staring off into the distance puffing on a cigar. And Kevin is getting madder and madder because Snoop wont acknowledge him and finally Snoop, without ever looking at him goes: hey motherf*****, just because I aint looking at you dont mean I aint hearing you! I got this s***! And he f***** just walked off.

The rivalry between Jim Cornette and Vince Russo just escalated — because the former wrestling manager has challenged the controversial writer to an ACTUAL FIGHT … with some stipulations.

Cornette and Russo have hated each other for years, but things heated up again after Jim and Eric Bischoff bashed Vince on a recent episode of Table for 3 — causing all sides to start hurling insults.

Things got taken to a new level though on the most recent episode of The Jim Cornette Experience when the host went on a 10-minute expletive filled rant to outline his offer.

“But here’s the rules,” Jim explains. “No cops, no guns, and no knives and we both come alone. And what happens, happens. Nobody makes a dime off of it, nobody gets any publicity off of it, nobody’s even gonna know it’s gonna happen until after it happens when nobody hears from you anymore.”

He also says he’ll bring $5,000 and if Vince can take it from him, he can keep it.

As crazy as all of this sounds, you know you’d watch this fight.

Listen to the audio below. Warning it’s EXTREMELY NSFW!

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/jim-cornette-challenges-russo-fight/#.WTpAWcYZOAy

I think Jericho's the only wrestling podcast that I would give non-wrestling guests a chance, they always seem interesting so I'll give it a listen.

But that does remind me, new TalknShop today with Jericho, The Club and Primo Colon. :lol:

I think Jericho's the only wrestling podcast that I would give non-wrestling guests a chance, they always seem interesting so I'll give it a listen.

But that does remind me, new TalknShop today with Jericho, The Club and Primo Colon. :lol:

Give it a listen. It's ridiculous.

I just branched off on Austin's as well. But specifically only to the bodybuilders and actors...none of the broken skull ranch shit.

And YES!

Former ROH World Television Champion Marty Scurll recently appeared on Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast in which he mentioned that he would like to bring CM Punk out of retirement:

CM Punk, Id like to bring CM Punk out of retirement and wrestle him for sure. I dont know if CM Punk listens to this show, but if he [does] Scurll added, but CM Punk, if youre watching, come out of retirement. We can cause quite a bother of a wrestling match. What do you say? And thatd be fun, right? Yeah, thats one for the headlines!

You can listen to the full interview here: http://podbay.fm/show/934576040/e/1496286608?autostart=1.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/46829/Marty-Scurll-Wants-To-Bring-CM-Punk-Out-Of/

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Big Show tij podcast. Just expressing his honest opinions, consequences be damned.

Exactly. I was legit surprised and actually liked how he didn't take the "Please Retire" chants to heart. Or at least found another way to look at them...

I thought it was the Shaq match that motivated him to lose weight, but it was cool how Cena lit a fire under his ass lol.

I also had no idea he was pursuing a boxing career before he came back in 2007. I've heard the story before, but it's always interesting hearing that Show/Mayweather was originally going to be Show/Mayweather vs. Rey/Batista before Rey got hurt.

Archived