The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

I don't even hate Russo. He's just totally irrelevant and out of touch in 2017. Also lies his ass off.

What the *Censored* does jock sniffers mean anyway? Those jock sniffers are much more respected (especially Meltzer) by people in the business than Vince Russo, that's a guarantee. Oh and Meltzer turned down an offer to work in the WWF back in the day ¯_(?)_¯

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even hate Russo. He's just totally irrelevant and out of touch in 2017. Also lies his ass off.

What the *Censored* does jock sniffers mean anyway? Those jock sniffers are much more respected (especially Meltzer) by people in the business than Vince Russo, that's a guarantee. Oh and Meltzer turned down an offer to work in the WWF back in the day ¯_(?)_¯

Out of touch? Dude do you even listen to his show? The ideas he pitches to help the product are solid. McMahon pride and stubbornness is what's keeping him from there.

A jock sniffer is basically like a groupie; someone who acts like part of the circle but really isn't.

And no, Meltzer is NOT respected more than Russo. When you make dumbass comments like "The third day of G1 was better than Wrestlemania" or "Shawn Michaels is not in the top 30 of all-time", you tend to disqualify yourself from consideration.

Ever wonder how Meltzer/Keller/Powell/Scherer all tend to band against him and take shots? Jealousy. They've never done ANYTHING he's done. Russo has been there, done that. Meltzer isn't even allowed backstage at a WWE show.

^ To be fair dude, MRN's not wrong. A lot of wrestlers respect big Dave. Including Jericho, Stone Cold and other big names. Russo has a bad rep (although I can't comment on why as I haven't listened to many stories about what made him so bad).

@TheMRN Really? Not saying this in a dickish way (I promise) but do you have a source about the Dave thing? That's interesting.

And yeah, Russo gets a bad rep. But why? Like I actually can't find a credible answer and I always see people bringing up the notable bad angles that he's responsible for as to why he sucks. Which means nothing because there's been so many bad angles and ideas over the years with or without him...

Kind of like how a director or screenwriter can make a bad film. It happens.

And I never understood why people blame him for TNA when I actually watched and enjoyed it during the time he was there (without actually knowing he was btw). I stopped watching shortly after Bischoff and Hogan laid waste to it. Not to mention the ratings were high when he was working there...

He claims WCW ratings were also high when he was physically working there. But I don't know enough to comment on what the truth is or isn't...

I'm not arguing anything here. I'm actually just interested in what got him such a bad rep with fans. Aside from him not being into the rasslin aspect of it...

Really? Not saying this in a dickish way (I promise) but do you have a source about the Dave thing? That's interesting.

And yeah, Russo gets a bad rep. But why? Like I actually can't find a credible answer and I always see people bringing up the notable bad angles that he's responsible for as to why he sucks. Which means nothing because there's been so many bad angles and ideas over the years with or without him...

Kind of like how a director or screenwriter can make a bad film. It happens.

And I never understood why people blame him for TNA when I actually watched and enjoyed it during the time he was there (without actually knowing he was btw). I stopped watching shortly after Bischoff and Hogan laid waste to it. Not to mention the ratings were high when he was working there...

He claims WCW ratings were also high when he was physically working there. But I don't know enough to comment on what the truth is or isn't...

I'm not arguing anything here. I'm actually just interested in what got him such a bad rep with fans. Aside from him not being into the rasslin aspect of it...

Meltzer made the comments either on Twitter or his podcast, I can't recall. But they were both recent, in the last 2-3 months. I'm at work right now and don't have time to research it sorry. But he definitely did tweet/say these things.

And yes, WCW's ratings were high when he was there, and they were the highest in TNA when he was writing. He rose WCW from a 2.5 to a 3.5 in literally a month or 2 lol and that led to Bischoff getting fired.

That's another one too, Bischoff...Yeah, great idea with the NWO, but that was it for him. He lost his job to Russo and is STILL bitter to this day about it.

Russo went on an epic 45 minute rant about the product today. Great stuff.

https://www.podcastone.com/vince-russo-the-brand?showAllEpisodes=true

Continuing from the other thread...Thank you for your opinion Bearded (in Italic with Quotes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The MRN, on 21 Sept 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

"Didn't know people listened to Russo's podcast unironically."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Like Hornswoggle being Vince's son or the anonymous GM were any better. Or Katie Vick. Or many of the angles you people bitch about. Dude had some bad ideas, sure, but WWE's had many after him. So I never understand why smarks shit on him so much.

Same could be said about people who listen to Alvarez, Keller and even your dad though.

I listen because his rants make me laugh while I'm driving or at the gym and I don't agree with a lot of what he says BUT his views on the current product aren't crazy."

I will never understand why people hate on Russo so much. Yes, some bad ideas. But how many GREAT ones did he have? He also has CREDIBILITY. These jock sniffers like Keller and Meltzer sound like morons when they bash him, yet have never had a job in a company.

Just because they've never worked in a wrestling company doesn't mean they aren't entitled to their opinions about Russo. By that logic almost nobody on this forum would be allowed to express their opinions about any wrestling personality. What great ideas did he have besides the Attitude Era? All of his bad ones are REALLY bad ones.

And to Beard, I wasn't saying WWE hasn't had any bad angles since Russo left, I was saying if he was in creative the bad angles would only get worse and more frequent. Also you're a " smark" as well, that word describes a wrestling fan that has knowledge about wrestling beyond kayfabe, I don't get why people use it as an insult.

I didn't. I wasn't insulting anybody. I was generalizing.

And worse and more frequent is a guess on your part. TNA was at its best when he was writing. That's long after the storylines you mentioned. And the Attitude Era made the WWE ratings skyrocket to record numbers, that's a big deal lol.

And eh, the angles aren't even that terrible aside from David being champ for fans who take wrestling super serious. The rest like the Mark Henry one for example are minor anyways. Who cares.

I didn't. I wasn't insulting anybody. I was generalizing.

And worse and more frequent is a guess on your part. TNA was at its best when he was writing. That's long after the storylines you mentioned. And the Attitude Era made the WWE ratings skyrocket to record numbers, that's a big deal lol.

And eh, the angles aren't even that terrible aside from David being champ for fans who take wrestling super serious. The rest like the Mark Henry one for example are minor anyways. Who cares.

Subjective

And Beaver Cleavage

*exits thread*

And no, Meltzer is NOT respected more than Russo. When you make dumbass comments like "The third day of G1 was better than Wrestlemania" or "Shawn Michaels is not in the top 30 of all-time", you tend to disqualify yourself from consideration.

Ever wonder how Meltzer/Keller/Powell/Scherer all tend to band against him and take shots? Jealousy. They've never done ANYTHING he's done. Russo has been there, done that. Meltzer isn't even allowed backstage at a WWE show.

Lmao, Meltzer has said numerous times that Shawn Michaels is one of the best of all time, give me a source on that. And a source on the G1 claim as well. Btw, if you're talking about match quality (which is what he probably was doing) the 3rd night of the G1 blew Mania out of the water. I'd say it's not even debatable.

And to Beard, I wasn't saying WWE hasn't had any bad angles since Russo left, I was saying if he was in creative the bad angles would only get worse and more frequent. Also you're a " smark" as well, that word describes a wrestling fan that has knowledge about wrestling beyond kayfabe, I don't get why people use it as an insult.

I don't get why people still use smark/mark at all, tbh.

@TheMRN Really? Not saying this in a dickish way (I promise) but do you have a source about the Dave thing? That's interesting.

Ok, so I actually got the Meltzer story wrong. Alvarez is the one who got offered some kind of job for the company and declined. Meltzer actually did do some consulting work for WWF in 1987. So yeah @24-1Taker, he did work for that company.

About Russo, the thing with him is first of all the shit he did in WCW. Then it was the TNA stuff (main reason why Spike got rid of them). And then it's his revisionist history. Oh and Cornette hates him because when he was in TNA apparently Russo was always lobbying to get him fired behind his back or something like that. And actually managed to do it.

Ratings wise. Or when people considered them competition...so not exactly subjective depending on how I meant it.

And that failed gimmick is just like Burchill/Katie Lea incest or even Benjamin's momma to a lesser extent.

TNA never had high ratings and nobody but themselves (and their die-hard marks) considered them competition. The only time they had a considerable rating was when Hogan and Bishoff debuted on TNA television and then never went anywhere. I don't know they compare to GFW today though cause I don't keep track of it.

And I wasn't being serious, but that doesn't negate Beaver Cleavage's awfulness. I know and acknowledge WWE and who all else do dumb things all the time. That doesn't make Russo any less worse.

And Benjamin's momma was pretty hilarious. Although again, subjective.

I find it all hilarious. Hell, I go back to infamous terrible segments more than I do great matches. I just brought it up to point out that Russo wasn't the only guy with trashy ideas.

And they were getting respectable ratings in comparison to now...that's a big deal. Point was, he didn't kill TNA.

Wait. I thought you meant the Mae Young thing? Birth to a hand? Tranny thing is different?

They are doing better ratings than they were then however directly because of Dixie and Russo it's impossible for them to get the kind of ratings they had then because they're on a small network now.

Because of the email thing you're saying?

On 9/21/2017 at 8:07 PM, KingKhan18 said:

On 9/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, Respect The Beard said:

Wait. I thought you meant the Mae Young thing? Birth to a hand? Tranny thing is different?

I meant the angle where Chyna " punished" Mark Henry by showing footage on the titantron of him having sex with a trans woman. Although Mae Young giving birth to a hand is terrible too.

Hope that wasn't too explict, just wanted to clarify which angle it was.

I find it all hilarious. Hell, I go back to infamous terrible segments more than I do great matches. I just brought it up to point out that Russo wasn't the only guy with trashy ideas.

And they were getting respectable ratings in comparison to now...that's a big deal. Point was, he didn't kill TNA.

The problem with Russo in TNA is he was the head of creative from 2002-2004, came back in 2006 and wasn't the head of creative until July 2009 and left in October 2011. The peak for TNA he was part of the team not the captain, which is where he should be. He was someone who had a lot of good and a lot of bad ideas. He also had his signature crash tv which had a lot of minute matches ending in DQ'S, storylines making no sense and just stopping, and dumb gimmick matches. Most hate for him comes in at him thinking he's great but really wasn't that good, WCW showed that with his racist matches (Piñata on a pole match with only Spanish people), dumb matches (Judy Bagwell on a forklift match) and him making himself a on screen personality. And they ended up asking him to stop being head Booker and have him and a group decide everything and he didn't want that and left, then they would only bring him back with Bischoff but they didn't get along. If he didn't try to make himself out to be the man who saved the WWF he wouldn't be as hated, but he did and then WCW got him and everyone found out that without a filter he was shit and then he tried to blame others for how bad he did. TNA from 2006-2009 was him at his best, not in charge just being another writer.

Points like that don't help though. We get them anyways in 2017.

Dumb gimmick matches (House of Horrors and Punjabi Prison), matches that end quick (still happens and tbh, I can't speak on that because I legit don't care as long as I'm entertained. I don't need clean wrestling matches) and storylines just stopping (Fashion Police attackers and many more)....

As for the stereotypical Mexican match, it was the 90's. You can find examples of that in everything back then. It was a different time and the company as a whole allowed that to happen. Hey, even in 2017, look at Jinder's promo.

I watched that "Buff's mom on a forklift" match recently and laughed at it. Like I'd take dumb shit like that over Rollins VS Cesaro and Sheamus VS Ambrose exchanging pointless single victories while in the midst of a tag feud.

Also booking himself...look at Vince McMahon (former WWE and ECW champion) and Eric Bischoff who also booked themselves into big roles.

But yeah, I'm not trying to go out of my way to defend the guy (I'm bored at work though). I'm just trying to say the reasons people give me never really make him out to be that bad. Hell, I'd take crash tv over what we see now on weekly shows. There's literally no reason to watch.

BUT...I agree he'd be better off in a team. That's for sure.

I enjoy Russo. I thought he was funny the few times he's appeared on an nL stream.

tbf...it's impossible to not be funny on an nL stream
Try telling Slip and Blake that, sheesh.
*censored*in beat me to it lmao. Tho Slip has his moments.

He's just so... ugh. He can make you chuckle, but he's really grating to listen to. Blake doesn't really add much he's just around sometimes. Similar to Sprite and Adam.

Archived