The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

What podcast do you guys listen to? My favorites are Bruce Prichards for the historic element and Tazs for the current product. I also listen to What Happened When, 83 Weeks, and Edge & Christians(which is slowly growing into my new favorite). Rarely, I listen to Jerichos and Austins when the topic interests me.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bubba Ray Dudley was a recent guest on the Talk is Jericho podcast, where the former multi-time champion revealed the reasoning that his alter-ego, Bully Ray, never appeared in the WWE. Dudley states that due to WWEs Be-A-Star program, Vince McMahon wouldnt allow the character to appear because of the backlash it could potentially cause with the press.

I told him about Bully Ray, and me and Vince McMahon had three really good and serious conversations about Bully Ray and he was totally into it. He said that nobody loves the bully character more than me. He said that is who I am, but he said that I cannot call you Bully Ray. I cant use the name Bully and have the Be-A-Star program.

Dudley goes on to state that he event pitched a potential storyline angle to McMahon in order to make the Bully Ray character work, which included turning on his long-time tag partner, D-Von Dudley. Although it seemed to be a possibility at first, the angle was pulled.

He said that it is a great idea, but by the time we get there I will get slaughtered by the press. He felt that it would be too long. You have a Be-A-Star program but you have a guy called Bully. By the time you get to the payoff, I would have endured too much negative press by then. My backup was the Intimidator Bubba Ray. I wasnt even going to go with the Bully Ray name and that was it, and I saw the look in his eyes where he liked that and we can do that. One of the things that was important to me separating from D-Von and becoming the Bully Ray character was that I had to turn on D-Von. D-Von was the piece of the puzzle because if I turned on D-Von I would immediately have heat. If I turned on a generic wrestler it wouldnt have any steam or history, but Vince wasnt feeling it. I presented it to him a few more times and we actually shook hands. On my last SmackDown before our contracts ended, he said that we were going to run with this and will do it. We shook hands and hugged; it was a done deal.

Our last night that was on Raw was supposed to be the night I turned on D-Von. A few days before Raw, Vince McMahon calls me himself and said, Pal, Im sorry, were not going to run with it. Were not quite sure we see the money in the feud.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ross Report has been repackaged as Grilling JR. It's now with Conrad Thompson as his co-host, if you guys like his style of podcasts with Bruce Prichard, Eric Bischoff and Tony Schiavone lol

First episode they talk about JR leaving WCW for WWF.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I should mention they only paid him $500 for his last match on the *censored*ing SHIELD SPECIAL lol

TIL apparently local talent get paid $500 just for showing up even if they end up not doing anything with them. Jesus, sign me up.

Kinda crazy how Jon went from having one of the worst podcast appearances ever on Stone Cold's to one of the best ones ever on Jericho's.

Kinda crazy how Jon went from having one of the worst podcast appearances ever on Stone Cold's to one of the best ones ever on Jericho's.

And now we know why. He said the last 6 years were the worst of his life, so that podcast fell in that time period

And now we know why. He said the last 6 years were the worst of his life, so that podcast fell in that time period

He literally didn't say that. He said since last July.

Crazy to think people actually thought Moxley's character was because of his own doing and not because of creative and whatever wacky ideas Vince thought was good.

Did people think that? I don't know.

Here's the thing...I still don't think Ambrose/Moxley is anything special. If I'm being 100% honest, the Moxley I saw on DoN seemed almost exactly like Dean Ambrose as far as how he moved and acted, and I still reserve complete judgment on whether he'll be entertaining in AEW or not. I want to be wrong...but, even the promo he cut where he spoke about a "paradigm shift" still felt way too corny for my liking. It seems like everyone lost their shit over that promo and was essentially like "Moxley is unleashed!"...but it didn't feel too different from any other WWE promo he's cut IMO. I honestly could have closed my eyes and pictured him doing that same promo with the Shield.

The only thing I can say against WWE when it comes to Dean, are the absurd story angles. The Jericho podcast was a great listen, and I think Moxley was able to get some stuff off his chest. But, ultimately...I have issues with things that I still think are inherently Moxley, not just WWE error. In AEW, he won't have absurd angles where he gets rabies shots and dresses like Bane. But, I still think he's going to have this level of cheese that is actually a part of who he is, and one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan. I'd compare him to guys like Sami Callihan, Jimmy Havok, or Darby Allen...who I'm also not big on. He's going to bring mainstream views to AEW, which is great...but I definitely don't expect him to be on my top five list any time soon.

Great to hear him outright challenge WWE to change their creative process, though. Big props to him for just saying "your creative is garbage, change it". Because, that much is obviously true.

Archived