The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

Recently on MLW Radio's VIP Lounge, 'The Mack' Willie Mack appeared on the show to talk about his troubled upbringing, Hulk Hogan's racist comments, and the dark days following his WWE deal falling through.

Mack was born to a drug addict mother and found himself in foster care as a child. Growing up in South Central Los Angeles, California, Mack saw professional wrestling as his ticket out of a bleak situation.

"It was like, growing up as a kid, you notice stuff a lot and I saw half [of those] fools not go [anywhere] in life and I was like, 'I want to do something different and make people proud and be happy to see me instead of scared and afraid when I'm coming up.'" Mack continued, "when I was four years old, the first thing I saw on TV was some [professional] wrestling. I saw Hulk Hogan and somebody talking some trash about who they [were] going to beat up and it looked like they [were] having some fun and entertaining the crowd and I said, 'hey, that's what I want to do.'"

While Hogan was the first professional wrestler to capture the imagination of Mack as a young child, Mack took umbrage with Hogan's racial tirade. When VIP Lounge co-host MVP asked Mack what he thought of Hogan's belief that African Americans are unworthy of dating his daughter, Brooke, Mack joked that he would not be interested in dating Brooke Hogan.

"Well, Hulk Hogan doesn't need to worry about me dating his daughter. Doing something else with is daughter, that's a different story." Mack continued, "he'd be mad as hell, but I don't care."

Apparently, 'The Mack' was brought into Lucha Underground after his WWE deal fell through. Mack acknowledged that when approached by Lucha Underground personnel about joining its roster, he was homeless and suffering from depression.

" got signed [by WWE], did their little tryout for like three days, busted my ass, and then I had a little physical [examination] and the doctor, after six months in, the week I was supposed to report, because I was supposed to be there October 26, 2014, and the doctor said, 'I don't like how low your blood pressure is. I don't like how one of your knees feels.' And they said, 'oh, we can't sign you because of that' and I'm like, 'what the f--k?' And that messed me up bad because, it was like I busted my ass and nothing was wrong with me then, but now it's time for me to go and you all pull that a week before I'm supposed to go down there. That ended up leaving a *Censored* homeless and I was depressed as hell. I was like, I thought that I had let my mama down, my daddy, [and] anybody who ever supported me. I felt like the worst dude on the planet. I was not feeling wrestling. I was like, 'I'm going to stop', but then, luckily, Konnan hit me up and then [Lucha Underground Executive Producer Chris DeJoseph] hit me up. And they said, 'hey, we heard what happened to you and wanted to invite you down to Lucha Underground.'"

In addition to these topics, Mack talked about being inspired by Samoa Joe and 2 Cold Scorpio, his dream opponents, and much more. To check out the show, click here. If you use any of the quotes that appear in this article, please credit the VIP Lounge with an H/T to Wrestling Inc. for the transcription.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0213/607589/willie-mack-talks-wwe-deal-falling-through/

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting hard for me listen to Don Tony & Kevin Castle now. Kevin Castle is a misinformed idiot who loves to make baseball references, bring up old 80's relics every episode and clearly doesn't watch the shows. Don Tony is hit or miss but is DEFINITELY way more tolerable than Kevin Castle.

Getting hard for me listen to Don Tony & Kevin Castle now. Kevin Castle is a misinformed idiot who loves to make baseball references, bring up old 80's relics every episode and clearly doesn't watch the shows. Don Tony is hit or miss but is DEFINITELY way more tolerable than Kevin Castle.

DT is great on Breakfast with Blasi and when he has Mish on. KC is just awful.

My heart hurts after finding out Solomonster has cancer..

I had to listen to him talking about it several time before I realized what he was talking about.

Okay. What did he say that's got your panties in a knot?

Okay. What did he say that's got your panties in a knot?

Everything he says. Dude sucks. Doesn't even seem interested in wrestling nowadays. And I've always felt that way, I iust tolerated it.

Dude is awful. I wish he'd just go away.

"I watch the show very closely and Sasha Banks is not that over" gtfoh with that, dickhead. The girl gets "We want Sasha!" Chants during matches that don't even involve her. The guy has no idea what he's talking about in like 70% of the conversations he's in. He should should hop in a time machine, go back to 1987, where he can go watch Al Perez, Dick Murdoch and whatever old fart he can't stop mentioning at the Garden or some shit. Just *Censored* off, Kevin Castle.

Don't even get me started on Mish's cuckold ass. Dude completely freezes and drops his opinion whenever KC is spewing out BS. I didn't forget about Joey's cynical, "everything sucks" ass either. But as unenjoyable as their show has been for me recently, nothing tops Kevin Castle. He's gonna lead me to stop listening to that show soon.

• 1 month later...

DT is great on Breakfast with Blasi and when he has Mish on. KC is just awful.

My heart hurts after finding out Solomonster has cancer..

I had to listen to him talking about it several time before I realized what he was talking about.

Good god, i didn't even know that. I just watch his stuff from time to time for some years now. Always found it interesting when i did listen to some vids. That's awful to hear about anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Highlights from JR's recent podcast with Mike Johnson from PWInsider, courtesy Ringside News.

Johnson informs that there indeed has been some talk of a brand split within WWE. He feels that if they do move forward with the brand split it should be WWE & NXT as two separate brands, and keep them to themselves with potentially some cross over for major pay per views.

Ross agrees, and adds that by making each brand unique to each other WWE could have two great mutually exclusive brands, with great competition between the two.

Johnson thinks that Seth Rollins will get a huge babyface reaction when he returns. He adds that Rollins is just wrapping up a WWE Films movie with Wesley Snipes and he should be ready to return shortly after that is finished.

He wonders if Rollins will change his ‘high impact’ style coming off of his ACL tear. Also, he speculates that there may be big money in a temporary Shield reunion to face off against The Bullet Club.

They also talk about John Cena's return, Roman Reigns and their Payback MVP. Listen to the full podcast here.

• 1 month later...

Chris Jericho issued the following statement, detailing the formation of a new podcast network called “The Jericho Network” with Konnan as the first host on the new network:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHARLES “KONNAN” ASHENOFF: FIRST JERICHO NETWORK PODCAST ON PODCASTONE

Los Angeles – June 29, 2016 – PodcastOne, the nation’s largest advertiser-supported podcast network, has entered into a multi-faceted agreement with podcast host Chris Jericho for production, distribution and product marketing for the newly created The Jericho Network. Jericho, also an actor, author and frontman for the band Fozzy, presents multi-talented Latino Lucha Libre legend Charles Ashenoff, known to wrestling fans worldwide as Konnan, as the first host to debut on the network.

Future podcasts will take full advantage of Jericho’s involvement and interest in wrestling, music, paranormal activity and pop-culture in general. All podcasts on The Jericho Network will be available exclusively at PodcastOne.com, the PodcastOne app and iTunes.

“I’m stoked to bring some of the most talented, interesting and hilariously ridiculous hosts to PodcastOne via The Jericho Network!” said Jericho. “My overall plan is for TJN to be an extension of the diverse array of subjects and guests I already feature on Talk Is Jericho twice a week. Get ready to be amazed, amused and entertained by ALL of the hosts and programs that will be added to TJN over the upcoming months…and don’t forget to wear a helmet!”

PodcastOne Founder and Executive Chairman Norm Pattiz said, “Chris’ podcasts continue to be among the most successful on PodcastOne’s lineup. There are a lot more things that we can do together, and the Jericho network will give us the vehicle and time necessary with which to do that.”

For more information, visit PodcastOne.com or contact info@podcastone.com.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/724083-chris-jericho-announces-the-jericho-network-on-podcastone-reveals-first-host-on-new-network

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently discovered the Kevin Gill show and found out Jeff Cobb and Matt Riddle had WWE tryouts. Crazy that they didn't sign them but might be a strategy by the WWE to let them develop by working with established indy guys to get better and then sign them in the future. Kinda risky but probably better for the dudes carreers.

Kenny Omega was on Talk is Jericho. Haven't listened to it yet, but Kenny's a cool dude and he has lots of cool idea and philosophies on wrestling, so it will definitely be worth a listen

Recently discovered the Kevin Gill show and found out Jeff Cobb and Matt Riddle had WWE tryouts. Crazy that they didn't sign them but might be a strategy by the WWE to let them develop by working with established indy guys to get better and then sign them in the future. Kinda risky but probably better for the dudes carreers.

Cobb can't sign with WWE even if they are interested in him because he's Matanza Cueto in Lucha Underground.

Kenny Omega was on Talk is Jericho. Haven't listened to it yet, but Kenny's a cool dude and he has lots of cool idea and philosophies on wrestling, so it will definitely be worth a listen

Home sick again today. Might listen to it.

Cobb can't sign with WWE even if they are interested in him because he's Matanza Cueto in Lucha Underground.

He had a tryout with them so I assume this was before he signed with Lucha Underground.

If it's any like the reported Prince Puma LU deal...then Cobb can still wrestle unmasked and under a different persona until his contract with LU runs out

Omega sounds like a really cool guy who loves wrestling, first interview I've heard with him - Jericho is very good as an interviewer because he lets people actually answer without talking over them.

Archived