AAA vs AJPW vs TNA vs ROH vs NOAH vs Rest Of The World

Fried

The whole trip down to WWE basically switched the roles of both ADR and the former Mistico. Before they left for WWE, Mistico was the biggest thing in lucha libre, and ADR, as Dos Caras Jr., was nothing more than another second generation talent that couldn't separate himself from the pack. Now flash forward to today and ADR is El Patron while Mizteziz can't even get top billing on most shows.

I'm aware of that, I just figured they wouldn't exactly be happy to work together following Mistico having his entourage in CMLL pull a gun of Alberto, then Alberto beating the hell out of him in his last WWE match.

They've taken pictures together after leaving WWE

Probably because Mizteziz was holding El Patron at gunpoint.

must be it

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps they bonded on a mutual dislike of the corporate American white man? haha. I'm guessing someone somehow squashed the beef they had. I was surprised to see El Patron in AAA after Myzteziz returned to AAA as well. Would have thought for sure that there would be some politicking going on.

Perhaps the role reversal of sorts is due to how their time in the US went. I assumed Dos Caras Jr. was kind of a big deal beforehand but I'm not really sure, but in any case he went to the US and made himself a huge star. Mistico was a huge deal in Mexico, and went to the US and..well...He tried his hardest I guess. I completely understand if the higher up's want the former Alberto Del Rio as their top guy rather than the former Sin Cara.

I don't really follow TNA but it doesn't seem too bad, could be better though. Anderson has worked for AAA before and isn't Galloway friends with Alberto?

It's just hard to see any outcome that isn't the Mexico Dream Team winning whatever is on offer.

I don't really follow TNA but it doesn't seem too bad, could be better though. Anderson has worked for AAA before and isn't Galloway friends with Alberto?

They are big in TNA.

Matt Hardy is a Tag-Team Champion

Drew Galloway is the rising star

Mr Anderson....the TNA Legend... ....

It's just that none of them are TNA-etablished wrestlers. When people think of these wrestlers TNA isn't the first thing that pops up in their head (except for Anderson, 'cause he's a TNA legend ... )

I can see Team Mexico 1 & 3 and Team AJPW winning

There's a bit of clarification from TNA about their members.

Drew Galloway is part of another team yet unannounced team. Maybe the international team?

The third member of Team TNA, which is now shaping more as a Team USA, is Johnny Mundo.

(???)

Still kind of baffling.

I don't think I'd read Mundo being on a team with TNA guys is a sign he's signed to TNA as the team is listed as a TNA/LU team. Who knows.

Looking for the Rest of the World team to include Galloway and Angelico.

AAA held a press conference to announce the Lucha World Cup. Full final teams

Mexico 1: Dream Team (Alberto el Patron, Myzteziz, Rey Mysterio Jr.)

Mexico 2 (Hijo del Fantasma, Texano Jr., Psycho Clown)

Mexico 3 (Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Solar)

Japan 1: Team NOAH (Taiji Ishimori, Atsushi Kotoge, Yoshihiro Takayama)

Japan 2: Team AJPW (Kenzo Suzuki, Tiger Mask III, Masamune)

USA 1: Team ROH/Lucha Underground (Moose, ACH, Brian Cage)

USA 2: Team TNA/Lucha Underground (Matt Hardy, Ken Anderson, Johnny Mundo)

Rest of The World (Angelico, El Mesias, Drew Galloway)

The format is single elimination. They did not announce first round matchups. They did announce special rules: all matches will have a 15 minute time limit. If there is no winner, there will be a sudden death 1v1 overtime that will last 5 minutes. (Its unclear what would happen next just a draw?)

Canek and the Hermanos Dinamitas (Mascara Ano 2000 at the press conference, not said if both Universo & Cien) will be part of a judging panel. Theyll decide the best match and best luchador.

The shows will air on iPPV, in English and Spanish. No price or website was reported. (Im posting this before theyve sent out a press release, so maybe more details in a little bit.) The Lucha Underground crew of Matt Striker & Vampiro will handle the English commentary. Theres no mention of the Spanish, but presumably itll be the usual AAA crew.

Dorian Roldan was asked about groups not here, specifically CMLL. He said they invited everyone, including CMLL, but CMLL turned them down. AAA would be happy to work with them in the future, which is always the case.

Edit: I thought they were done, but apparently not?

first round matchups will be drawn on May 22nd, 2 days before the tournament.

the hope is to make this an annual tournament

Don't really like the concept of mixed teams in the case of ROH and TNA. Would have preferred if they took a representative from TNA, ROH and maybe a big indy guy and made a Team USA and had a LU exclusive team, or try to throw together another team with the LU team to still have an even number of teams.

May have to check this out, depending on the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived