DC Cinematic Universe

Mailman

As a comic fan and into the mythology across all mediums, I didn't need a whole bunch of origin films as I already know everything about the characters to care about them.

See this is my issue. Zack Snyder's Superman lacks anything likable about Superman from the comics. While I like Superman, Zack's take on the character is so far separated from what I know and what I like. That in and of itself isn't bad, Tobery McGuire is my favorite Spider-Man despite the fact that he's probably least accurate to the source material. Star Lord in the comics isn't a lot like James Gunn's take on the character, but I feel like he's a great character in those films. Snyder's Superman isn't like these other cases though. He's a hyprocritical, holier than thou asshole. While I have always known Superman, this is a new take. Therefore Snyder has to do something, anything for me to get behind the guy and he just hasn't so far.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Snyder and his Superman in MOS and JL but he was definetly the wrong choice to direct MOS, BvS and JL because of his cynical views on superheroes. He criticised Superman a couple of times during interviews for Watchmen and so it was shocking when he was chosen for MOS and being a big part of the DCEU.

He's gone now though and so whoever directs MOS 2 and JL 2 can start from scratch and especially since those films will be after Flashpoint. Flash's solo movie that will reboot the DCEU in 2019

Warner Bros. is planning a shake-up and restructuring of its DC Films operation following the box office disappointment of “Justice League,” Variety has learned.

Jon Berg will be leaving his current job running the comic book’s film production division, according to several sources with knowledge of the studio’s plans. A search is underway for his replacement. Berg will instead become a production partner with Roy Lee, the producer of “The Lego Movie” and “It,” who has a deal on the lot.

“This is something that Jon approached me about six months ago, and he expressed his goal was to ultimately be a producer at the studio,” Warner Bros. Picture Group President Toby Emmerich said in a statement to Variety. “I first met Jon when, as a producer, he brought ‘Elf’ to New Line, which remains one of the best and most evergreen titles in the library. We’re thrilled that Jon is partnering with Roy and anticipate their company being a valuable source of movies for Warner Bros. and New Line.”

Warners is expected to name a new person to run point on DC’s films. Geoff Johns, who has partnered with Berg on much of the creative direction of the movies, is expected to continue serving as DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer. Johns, who reports to DC president Diane Nelson, works in areas such as television (and has written various episodes for DC-inspired shows), publishing, and consumer products, in addition to his contributions to the films. Going forward, his work on the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature.

These people also say that Emmerich is weighing the idea of further integrating DC’s film operations into the studio’s main movie arm. That would entail putting the divisions under the same roof rather than having DC remain in a separate building on the lot, sources say. Marvel, which is owned by Disney, does operate its comic book film division autonomously, but other studios, such as Fox and Sony, produce their superhero films under the studio’s banner.

The DC overhaul is expected to happen by January.

Warner Bros.’ corporate leaders at Time Warner support the moves and are said to be unhappy with the financial performance of “Juctice League.” The film was intended to be DC’s answer to Marvel’s “Avengers,” uniting the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman under the banner of a team of world-saving superheroes. With a budget reported to be as high as $300 million, it represents an expensive bet. After three weeks of release, it has managed to gross $570.3 million worldwide. In contrast, the first “Avengers” film racked up $1.5 billion. The studio did have a number of successes this year with “Wonder Woman,” “Dunkirk,” and “It,” which has helped offset the disappointment of “Justice League.”

Berg and Johns were intimately involved in the production. Berg essentially decamped for the film’s London set, and both men have full producer credits on the picture, which would likely not be the case on future movies. “Justice League” suffered from a difficult birth. An early version, directed by Zack Snyder, alarmed studio executives with its dark tone. That had been the knock on Snyder’s two previous DC films, “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” After his daughter committed suicide, Snyder eventually left the production before it underwent costly re-shoots. Joss Whedon, who had been brought on the punch up the dialogue, took over directing, but studio brass recognized that so much footage had been shot already that there were limits to what could be done to improve the picture. Studio executives realized early on that Snyder’s decision to have Steppenwolf, a god-like, all-CGI creation, as the principal antagonist was faulty. In fact, many reviews were particularly harsh about Steppenwolf, criticizing the character for being one-note and the product of unconvincing visual effects.

There are no immediate plans for Snyder to direct another DC movie, though he is producing or executive producing several, including “Wonder Woman 2” and “Aquaman.” Warner Bros. continues to have a production deal with Snyder, so it’s possible he could direct additional films for the studio. Time Warner is said to be frustrated that Warner Bros. leaders continue to bring the director back, especially after “Batman v Superman” was excoriated by critics even though it made money. They are also upset that each new DC film seems to be making less money than its predecessor. Only “Wonder Woman,” with its optimistic heroine, managed to be both a critical and commercial success.

While Ben Affleck is expected to appear as Batman in a standalone Flash movie, it is highly unlikely he will don the cape and cowl in Matt Reeves’ planned standalone Batman movie. The director is said to want to cast the role with fresh talent, according to sources.

Warner Bros. believes that “Justice League” succeeded in one importantly respect: it effectively introduced Flash (a quippy speedster played by Ezra Miller) and Aquaman (the king of Atlantis, portrayed by Jason Momoa). A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature.

Well, about damn time.

I like John Hamm but if they're going to change it they need to go younger, not older.

Either way this is a shit show. I like the direction they were going in if they would've just been allowed to do it without this micromanaging bullshit. Way too much pressure from critics, casuals and Marvel that they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Funny though. Matt Reeves was all gung ho about Affleck and now he wants him gone? Doubtful. There's either pressure elsewhere, Affleck wants out(which he denied), or it's all bullshit. Besides comicbook.com has been reporting this shit for months for clickbait. We'll just have to see.

Feels like they're trying to rush and compete with Marvel rather than keep it organic and plan things out. Dunno if that makes sense, but an example would be how we got few films that established the characters and their stories before The Avengers. Here, we just got one or two movies before Justice League, when in my opinion we should have gotten Flash and Aquaman's standalone movies before Justice League.

Feels like they're trying to rush and compete with Marvel rather than keep it organic and plan things out. Dunno if that makes sense, but an example would be how we got few films that established the characters and their stories before The Avengers. Here, we just got one or two movies before Justice League, when in my opinion we should have gotten Flash and Aquaman's standalone movies before Justice League.

Well we did have MOS, Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad(Which didn't add anything to the JL but the end credits scene) and WW

As I said before, really would have liked it more if it was..

Man of Steel, The Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Justice League, Aquaman, Cyborg, Green Lantern, MOS 2, JL 2

BvS and SuicideSquad should have been scraped. JL should have came together naturally like in the New 52 comics, where each individual were doing their own things then met each other one night and teamed up because of common enemies and goals as heroes then officially became the JL after their first big mission

Just three movies, not counting Suicide Squad as it didn't even seem remotely related to Justice League. MCU had four or five movies out, most of those introducing the characters that'd be important in The Avengers. It also didn't feel rushed or packed with too much.

Just feels like DC or WB are desperate.

• 2 months later...

DCU should have started out with character backstory movies first, introduce us to the characters before doing movies like BvS, so that we'd have characters to care about and look forward to. Not the main problem, but it'd help. But the casting for Luthor was either bad or the writing was, since Jesse's Luthor acted more like the Joker.

WB probably figured that people would care enough about Batman, Wonder Woman and even Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash by default.

Zack Snyder probably figured that people would automatically care about a Dark Knight Returns inspired Batman on film.

A Batman vs Superman film being made after Man of Steel to start expanding the DC Cinematic Universe wasn't too much of an issue but it was the story and execution of it.

None of us needed a origin movie for Batman and Superman. We've had like 15 combined for both characters, literally everyone in the world is familiar with those two. BvS was absolutely a fine option for a movie to establish this new DCEU, they just *censored*ed it up. Batman especially, we had Man of Steel besides.

They could have done a Batman movie first and give us a bit more insight into how Batfleck became so jaded and violent. Doesn't look like they care much about the quality as they do about making money.

There could have been a montage in BvS about Batman's career or just make it like Batman'89 where it's explained that he's been a myterious myth for 8 months.

Dark Knight Returns inspired and only thing explained was that he's been at it for 20 years and has become jaded was such a bad idea. WB fast forwarded everything to have an established universe.

I didn't need a new Batman origin film and so BvS was a great concept but like I said, execution and story was off. This didn't needed to be the direction at all just to be different, new or whatever. I like Zack Snyder and movies like 300 and Watchmen but he's always been jaded about superheroes and especially Superman and so having him direct BvS and Justice League was a huge idiotic move by WB.

Public Enemies should have been the template for BvS and New 52's Justice League Origin would have been a perfect template. Still would have been dark, gritty and serious without going overboard with pussyfied Supes and Punisher Bats.

I liked Superman in Justice League though and Batman was better than BvS but he should have been a JL co-founder with Clark or be the third person to join instead of starting everything with Wonder Woman. Death of Superman should have been saved for Man of Steel II or III.

Not everything should be like the comics but it would have worked for MOS, BvS, SS and JL if the mythology was respected more than what ended up happening in the final films.

We're no doubt getting why Batman was so violent and grungy in BvS, in the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman movie. It was not imperative it be explained in BvS because not everything needs to be explained. At least right away. It was a mystery that they can base an upcoming movie on and tie things together. Which is apparently what they are in fact doing.

But as Kombatant said, Warner Bros rushed to compete with Marvel and it faltered. They didn't leave their film makers be and as a result there were too many cooks in the kitchen and most of their movies are muddled messes. You can tell why Wonder Woman is in another league compared to the rest of them, because they let Patty Jenkins make the film that she wanted to make. She is also better at doing it than Zack Snyder who is becoming a one-trick pony.

I have faith in the Aquaman, Flash and Shazam movies but it really depends on the studio's input. Hopefully they have finally learned there lesson about that and are letting all new films and filmmakers to have the freedom that Patty had.

I overall enjoyed Man of Steel, loved Wonder Woman and Aquaman, Flash and Shazam sound great but all of the team up films ended up trainwreks. Studio needs to get their shit together for Suicide Squad 2 and Justice League 2.

If Green Lantern Corps ends up a train wreck, I will be extremely pissed!

Warner Bros need to take a step back and look at the long-term goals. They probably thought they could compete with Marvel just because of how established the DC characters are, and it resulted in iffy writing and direction fir the ensemble movies. Marvel is their competition, but WB needs to take a step back and not compete with Marvel, honestly, if competing means sacrificing quality.

And from what I've been told, WB doesn't care about their movies the way MCU does, which is why the ensemble movies suck. Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa are spot-on casting though, like RDJ and Chris Evans.

Archived