Hip Hop Thread

Yeah, that lacks logic, tbh. I haven't listened to Traveller but it should've replaced that anyway, lol

Also, the bits I caught of Kendrick's performance! and the applause he got from Common etc. omg, i'm stanning

I knew it.

They won't let hip hop win Album of the Year.

If To Pimp a Butterfly couldn't do it, I don't know what can.

Traveller is good but not album of the year or anything. I don't even think it should have won best country album, to me it should have been kacey musgraves. I also think meliora by ghost should have been nominated for album of the year, but whatever.

Was Kacey Musgraves nominated? I'm guessing so.

I am happy about Alabama Shakes grabbing a double, though, didn't expect that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that lacks logic, tbh. I haven't listened to Traveller but it should've replaced that anyway, lol

Also, the bits I caught of Kendrick's performance! and the applause he got from Common etc. omg, i'm stanning

I knew it.

They won't let hip hop win Album of the Year.

If To Pimp a Butterfly couldn't do it, I don't know what can.

Traveller is good but not album of the year or anything. I don't even think it should have won best country album, to me it should have been kacey musgraves. I also think meliora by ghost should have been nominated for album of the year, but whatever.

Was Kacey Musgraves nominated? I'm guessing so.

I am happy about Alabama Shakes grabbing a double, though, didn't expect that.

Yeah, her album "Pageant Material" was nominated for best country album and in my opinion she should have won.

I know this isn't hip hop/rap related, so I'll shut up about country music in this thread.

TPAB didn't have mass appeal. Of course it's not going to beat Taylor Swift. And you guys are sleeping on 1989 for real, acting like it wasn't a good album

It didn't have mass appeal and yet it won like all of its rap categories, over rappers that had way more mass appeal in their albums (in ex. J. Cole, Drake, Nicki).

I'm not mad that Taylor won, I truly couldn't care less if she did or didn't but it feels like the Grammy's had a bit of an underhanded M.O here. "Let's give Kendrick all of the rap awards he is nominated for, to compensate for our Album of the Year pick".

After a few more listens my opinion still holds. Pablo is much better than Yeezus but also still considerably behind the rest of his discography. A few great songs, a few bad songs, and the rest are just kind of meh to good. And as an album it is just not cohesive at all imo. The songs are all over the place and super sporadic and pretty short. Also having ULB as the first song set the bar super high and then the rest of the album doesn't live up to it.

After a few more listens my opinion still holds. Pablo is much better than Yeezus but also still considerably behind the rest of his discography. A few great songs, a few bad songs, and the rest are just kind of meh to good. And as an album it is just not cohesive at all imo. The songs are all over the place and super sporadic and pretty short. Also having ULB as the first song set the bar super high and then the rest of the album doesn't live up to it.

Yeah, Chano thought ULB would be the closer in fact hence the God made the rainbow lyric. Kanye once put it as the closer too, and I think he put Fade before Wolves or something.

That structure seems only a bit more sloppy now that I've acc listened to TLOP. Fade is a good closer.

Also, that version of Wolves isn't as good as the album's ver. for some reason. It feels overstuffed, even with good vocal contributions on it.

Yeah. In hindsight, I think I was a little harsh on Vic Mensa's feature; I had only ever heard the live version, through the YEEZY S2 and their performance (forgot what show), and it didn't sound that great.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is a very emotive contribution...I think Kanye should have added it when the beat switches up in the second-half. Or replace his starting verse with it, because I really don't care for his pre-rap stuff on it.

Hopefully it brings more exposure to UK grime and certain artists within that genre who imo are criminally underrated and often looked down upon by rap fans from the US in particular which always baffles me. Grime is starting to blow up in the UK of late with Skepta, JME, Krept & Konan, Stormzy etc all charting with albums/singles, and the likes of Kano, Chipmunk, Dizzee returning to their roots. Artists are out there sending for each other and these diss tracks are getting 500k+ views in a matter of days, would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

So yeah, props to Drake.

Hopefully it brings more exposure to UK grime and certain artists within that genre who imo are criminally underrated and often looked down upon by rap fans from the US in particular which always baffles me. Grime is starting to blow up in the UK of late with Skepta, JME, Krept & Konan, Stormzy etc all charting with albums/singles, and the likes of Kano, Chipmunk, Dizzee returning to their roots. Artists are out there sending for each other and these diss tracks are getting 500k+ views in a matter of days, would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

So yeah, props to Drake.

Yeah hopefully, Grime has really blew up. Don't think it'll ever be big in America tho

Archived