Hip Hop Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude the first song on GKMC tells an amazing story. How do you not pay attention to that lmao. Seems like any story a guy could relate to as a teen.

I'm not even sure if I ever listened to it.

Looking the tracklist up shows that Sherane is the first track. When I first heard it, the songs were apparently mixed up, so I probably listened to Sherane once, didn't like it and then just dropped it. Same goes for Real and Compton.

On a sidenote: starting to really get into Cherry Bomb. Interesting how much Tyler has grown as an artist and a producer.

I enjoyed GKMC over TPAB because his concept was something I could sort of get into and understand. It was basically a guy from the hood and his life, I can get that (not relate of course).

Although I did really enjoy TPAB its a bit to black power for me to truly understand. I'm white and alothiugh I know what he's saying I have never been able to appreciate with what message he's delivering.

I actually felt more like the album was intentionally bipolar when it comes to celebrating black confidence. It seemed like he pointed out both sides of the medal quite regularly. I can see how you relate more to it when you're black yourself but I can definitely understand, relate to and appreciate almost every song on the album.

And like said above, it's just really damn fine music.

I'm real glad I finally picked up Action Bronson. Knew about him for a long time, but didn't really get into him, but Mr. Wonderful was great.

I cant even remember Black Boy Fly and Collect Calls.

I don't even think I paid that much attention to g.k.m.c. beyond those actual two tracks. I had a period where I kept listening to Backseat Freestyle, but that ended within a week. Swimming PoolSwimmi(*Censored* this goddamn mobile piece of shit) Swimming Pools. Same opinion as Naka. Disliked it at first, really liked it when looking into it, especially the second part of the song, which really lasted way too short for me.

Sing About Me was a great song that referenced Section.80, but looking back at gkmc, I don't think I really liked the album as a whole that much, but I was so happy with Kendrick's breakthrough because of it, that I kind of ignored it and was satisfied with whatever I got iI (goddamn phone glitch again). Satisfied with what ever I got out of it.

And I sort of pretended Cartoon & Cereal was a part of the albumlist and I like that song over any other gkmc track and maybe even every other Kendrick track in general.

"Sing About Me" is an absolutely stellar song. At first listen, "Dying of Thirst" just gripped me immediately because of the urgent production, lyrics and inflections all used but then the first half grew on me pretty well and quickly too.

I loved how creative and original the song was, in terms of the 3 perspectives used. It wasn't the most original, the conversational style has been done before in the form of songs such as "Stan" but Kendrick used it in his own way which I thought was dope.

Tbh, GKMC was my first Kendrick album I listened to so it wasn't really like I had any expectations going into the project from prior work or w/e. Oh, and I was real sad Cartoon & Cereal didn't make the cut.

Apparently, it was pretty close too. Would've been great as the first bonus song off the deluxe ed.

About Cartoon & Cereal, I always placed it between good kid and maad city in the story, in a some sort of flashback as to where it originally began, little Kendrick's first memory of gangbanging when he started noticing similarities between the life around him and the cartoons he was watching. It's also one of the few songs where someone else's verse is rated higher than Kendrick's, as Gunplay was amazing on it.

Archived