Hip Hop Thread

The production's really good, sometimes excellent (Adam & Eve, Everything, Not for Radio), and Nas sounds pretty good for the most part. It sounds really enjoyable, but there is a lack of focus or direction.

It's a bit of a shame, too, because the cover art is so striking and evocative.

The project peaks at Adam and Eve for me, which has such a classic quality to it, but not to its detriment like other modern boom bap beats. It has a timeless rather-than-dated feel. Some of the beats just don't fit Nas' vibe, like Bonjour for example. I did enjoy it as a whole, but it's not like Illmatic (I hate bringing it up because records rarely reach that level) - where the short tracklist works to its advantage. Nasir just never gains steam. Some short projects have you anticipating the next song after the conclusion of one, but I think the fact it's so short is counterproductive..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The production's really good, sometimes excellent (Adam & Eve, Everything, Not for Radio), and Nas sounds pretty good for the most part. It sounds really enjoyable, but there is a lack of focus or direction.

The project peaks at Adam and Eve for me, which has such a classic quality to it, but not to its detriment like other modern boom bap beats. It has a timeless rather-than-dated feel. Some of the beats just don't fit Nas' vibe, like Bonjour for example. I did enjoy it as a whole, but it's not like Illmatic (I hate bringing it up because records rarely reach that level) - where the short tracklist works to its advantage. Nasir just never gains steam. Some short projects have you anticipating the next song after the conclusion of one, but I think the fact it's so short is counterproductive..

Yeah, and the classic quality of Adam and Eve also makes sense because I remember there was a snapshot or clip of Kanye working on producing for Nasir, and he had the Illmatic album up on iTunes or something. So I guess maybe N.Y. State of Mind was a partial influence in that beat?

Hm. I get what you mean. I think because Nas tries to cobble together elements that do not work (e.g. all of those random, unconnected points in Not for Radio, or some of the braggadocio which kind of took away from the album's more conscious parts), that's why the short tracklist felt so counterproductive.

I don't think it's so much the length itself, I just think he could have handled it all way better.

070 Shake is amazing on Kanye West's album. She had a pretty cool feature on Nasir, too. Very distinct voice, I'm intrigued to hear how she sounds over her own stuff.

Fave songs on Nasir are Adam & Eve, Cops and Everything. Fav track overall? Hmmm...... damn that is tough. I think it'd def be something off KSG though, maybe 4th Dimension.

Yeah, and the classic quality of Adam and Eve also makes sense because I remember there was a snapshot or clip of Kanye working on producing for Nasir, and he had the Illmatic album up on iTunes or something. So I guess maybe N.Y. State of Mind was a partial influence in that beat?

Hm. I get what you mean. I think because Nas tries to cobble together elements that do not work (e.g. all of those random, unconnected points in Not for Radio, or some of the braggadocio which kind of took away from the album's more conscious parts), that's why the short tracklist felt so counterproductive.

I don't think it's so much the length itself, I just think he could have handled it all way better.

I get more of a The World Is Yours vibe from Adam and Eve, if I'm going to compare it to any Illmatic track. Has more of that smooth flow rather than the intense he used for N.Y. State of Mind.

Exactly how I feel as well, the short tracklist would be great if the tracks were more intertwined, but I am just happy he's releasing music. The man has gotten me through some tough times and I hold him in a very high regard, which you already know quite well. :lol:

The entire X shit and everything surrounding it is so *censored*ed up. I don't think I've ever seen a more divisive celebrity moment/situation. Feel really bad for all of his friends and family having to see all of this in response to his murder.

Is Scorpion good?

Similarly to Views, it's a slog of uninteresting material with a few amazing standouts. Some likeable tracks, like Emotionless, 8 out of 10, Talk Up.

Drake, in general, is just in a very weird place artistically. I don't think I've ever found his albums to be that consistent, but he was far better than this.

070 Shake is amazing on Kanye West's album. She had a pretty cool feature on Nasir, too. Very distinct voice, I'm intrigued to hear how she sounds over her own stuff.

Fave songs on Nasir are Adam & Eve, Cops and Everything. Fav track overall? Hmmm...... damn that is tough. I think it'd def be something off KSG though, maybe 4th Dimension.

Haven't heard Kanye's album, but I'm glad that 070 Shake is getting her shine. I've been listening to her for years. Girl is an exceptional talent. Some of my favs from her are Sunday Night, Trust Nobody, and Honey.

He wasnt even a homophobic guy tbh. Ive seen him plenty of times hug and shoutout his gay fans. And put them on his IG. Bit hard to find then because he constantly deleted posts. Also as stated his ex girlfriend changed her story several times and even currently was going to memorials and crying over him. I just feel dude was misunderstood. I believe the case was going to get dropped as well. I mean once they let him out of jail he was honestly trying to turn his life around. Its just amazing to me how everybody have these moral compasses, which isnt necessarily bad. But saying youre happy someone was killed is over the top.

He beat his gay cell mate because he was ya know...gay. That seems kinda sorta maybe homophobic to me.

Also he threatened to jam barbecue utensils up his girlfriends snatch. Lets go ahead and celebrate this one. Ill bake cookies.

He was on No Jumper boasting about almost killing a gay guy and smearing the dudes blood on his face. Gay people are allowed to have jokes. You and your dumbass comparison to Orlando lmao

Damn, now I feel kinda bad for listening to his shit for years and telling friends about him and stuff. That's hella *censored*ed up.

Archived