Hip Hop Thread

Grime will probably be the newest rage that everybody will listen to in the US. Over here, people were so indifferent towards grime for so long. Hiphop-heads started around 2009 when Dutch rappers referred to Wiley in their tracks. But it's basically Stormzy and Skepta that had Shut Up and Shutdown become so big over social media that now everybody is listening to them. Not that I'm an expert, anything but, but it's pretty funny that back in 2004, I had to explain what grime was when telling people I listened to Dizzee Rascal and Lethal Bizzle. Now in 2016, you have the most unlikely people go like "check out Shutdown, check out Wicked Skengman". Great to see it grow like that and have more and more people respect it.

JME is saying that if grime keeps growing, a lot of artists would be able to make themselves financially secure and remain independent like himself.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grime hasn't ever really appealed to me. Was never into lyrics about how much money you have/how many girls you've slept with/how many people you've killed.

Listening to Kano's debut album now though and it is good so far.

Some Hip Hop lyrics are like that too, should give JME's latest album a listen, its actually pretty good

Grime hasn't ever really appealed to me. Was never into lyrics about how much money you have/how many girls you've slept with/how many people you've killed.

Sounds like you're describing the majority of US rappers as opposed to grime.

I've been vibing to DOOM a lot lately. Made a whole playlist with dudes like FloFilz, J-Zen, Rejjie Snow, nujabes, Kid Abstrakt and Revolutionary Rhythm, some Quest, and OutKast.

Recently found this dude, I like it.

Also, Pablo was a wack album. I was hyped with tracks like Wolves and All Day, but they weren't even on there (at least the original Wolves with Vic Mensa and Sia). Real Friends was good, but everything else was forgettable. Just another Yeezus, where the hype was much better than the actual album. So, I made this in honor of that album, and election season:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d9a4badbe5661ebd36b4d790785817cb/tumblr_o2qeb9BcPg1uvbvhyo1_1280.png

Random comment but I just don't get the Future shit. Like I'll always listen to March Madness and love it. Then I think maybe I'll like more Future stuff too but every other song he has just sounds like a bad version of MM. Like he has a few more good songs with like Drake and The Weeknd and such but the vast majority of his solo stuff just has no appeal at all imo. Pretty much all goes for the same sound and March Madness was the only song to actually get it right.

Fair point, but I don't listen to much of those either. I guess I haven't been exposed to much grime and the stuff I've heard hasn't appealed to me (any suggestions?). I'm probably biased as well cos I know a few people from school who have been doing grime for years and most of them are pretty shit.

Fair point, but I don't listen to much of those either. I guess I haven't been exposed to much grime and the stuff I've heard hasn't appealed to me (any suggestions?). I'm probably biased as well cos I know a few people from school who have been doing grime for years and most of them are pretty shit.
JME is probably my favourite at the moment. He's pretty much the polar opposite of what you described. Pulse 8, Integrity, Man Don't Care, Taking Over, Serious, 96 *censored*ries are all great tracks lyrically and have some seriously catchy beats.

Old school Dizzee is probably still the benchmark loads want to reach. Kano after a bit of a lull is back with another great album. Skepta is blowing up worldwide and has some serious backing from big artists (some classic diss tracks to look up as well). Chipmunk is pretty much going after everybody right now so there's plenty of great diss tracks and new songs coming from him. Stormzy is the current breakout star and has done some great tracks and features on songs with Chip, Bizzle etc. Wiley is the man who made grime happen. Devlin, Giggs and P Money are also worth mentioning.

A few of my favourite tracks

(Devilman diss)

Almost all those songs Herb listed are amazing. Especially 96 F***ries, that beat.

Random comment but I just don't get the Future shit. Like I'll always listen to March Madness and love it. Then I think maybe I'll like more Future stuff too but every other song he has just sounds like a bad version of MM. Like he has a few more good songs with like Drake and The Weeknd and such but the vast majority of his solo stuff just has no appeal at all imo. Pretty much all goes for the same sound and March Madness was the only song to actually get it right.

To be fair, after listening to Monster, I do respect his sound sliiiightly more but I agree. Like, I love Rich $ex and Codeine Crazy to bits and I don't find his voice annoying any more.

But I feel like others do the whole trap/autotune sound so much better, like Thugger and Travi$ with Rodeo.

Archived