Hip Hop Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liked Jay Rock's entire album. Really, really good effort, an album without much fat at all. Vice City and Telegram were probably my favourites.

Rick Ross' new tape is good too. Best thing he's dropped in years. Like the calmer, more layered approach. Geechi Liberace's beat is absolutely stunning.

Have yet to listen to Mac Miller's album.

Honestly he kind of already is. He is so well respected and liked by every single person in music, not even just rap, it's ridiculous. He said he has a song recorded with almost every rapper you can think of already from when he made those 9 albums before he got satisfied with GO:OD AM. So if he ever releases all of those....I'm not ready.

GO:OD am is awesome. Liked it more than 90059 tbh.

Can't believe Mac is only 23, he's honestly a legend in the making.

What did you think of 90059?

OH AND SPEAKING OF 90059, here's my review of it, guys! :D I would strongly suggest reading it on the laptop, for the best experience, but only because I noticed the text looks much longer on a phone screen. But for those who are into their long reads, grab your popcorn, I've tried to make a good one this time round.

Lupe Fiasco's Pharaoh Height EP also got reviewed, really nice tape with him rapping over beats by Weeknd, and J. Dilla (FlyLo beat on the tape too, as well as Robert Glasper; the assembly is pretty neat).

Bumping GO:OD AM for the first time. Love it so far. It's not Faces but I like it.

I really don't like posting in this thread so I'm always late with my thoughts, but I really do like Rodeo. Favorite track is 90210. Album ain't better than Days Before Rodeo though lol.

I legit should've had that Travis Scott avi before this album came out so I don't look like a bandwagoner. Ahhh just know I'm not guys. :( I didn't even know he had that much fans until last week.

Lol, why don't you like posting in this thread?

Too much artists and music I'll never listen to. And a lot of musical debates I don't care to see or get into tbh.

Damn I really love Rodeo though btw. It's not DBR at all, but you can bang it at times, it's more of a crooning, singing along album, but it's great in its own right. Make a playlist of DBR/Rodeo on shuffle and you can't go wrong.

I think it left a lot to be desired but that might be because it took a while and I had higher expectations, which seems to happen with a lot of Black Hippy projects for me (Oxy and These Days mostly). I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the album, it just isn't too memorable and I don't think I'll be re-playing it much bar tracks like Necessary, Vice City, Gumbo and a few others.

I hear he's got another album in the works already though so I'll look out for that.

I think it left a lot to be desired but that might be because it took a while and I had higher expectations, which seems to happen with a lot of Black Hippy projects for me (Oxy and These Days mostly). I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the album, it just isn't too memorable and I don't think I'll be re-playing it much bar tracks like Necessary, Vice City, Gumbo and a few others.

I hear he's got another album in the works already though so I'll look out for that.

Same, to be honest. My expectations were so sky-high, especially after listening to some of the singles. Knowing a few of them would be on the album, like Money Trees Deuce, I was like "This project, it just HAS to be amazing..."

There is nothing wrong with it at all, when looking at it from a technical perspective. Rock's got the flow down, the instrumental flavour is sort of pleasant and he's being conceptual...it's just 90059 is not that interesting. But I think that comes down to the much softer tracks, I'm just not a fan of that side of Jay Rock.

So I gave both GO:OD AM and 90059 a listen.

Mac did a solid job. I really hated Mac's change of ways and stuff at first. I enjoy his work in this project. Very solid instrumentals and samples.

Jay Rock hammered this album and knocked it out of the park. In my opinion, this is one of those albums that you can listen to over and over and never get tired of it.

Archived