Hip Hop Thread

Yeah I see what you mean man, I personally think Biggie is better cause I just really dig his flow but tbh I just prefer the East coast flow. As for K.Dot being in an all time list, eh I dunno just feels and looks weird putting him there with likes of Nas,Pac etc, that have been around for a while and have had major influences on the Hip Hop community but that's just my opinion

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah don't get me wrong, at one time, I preferred Big. But then I listened to the music of both even more closely, and...I can say Biggie showed more diversity, but Pac's flow just had its own thing to it.

Both were unique but it took a bit more time for Big's music to pull me in.

Yeah, I completely see where you're coming from. I personally would see why Grenade would place him there...but I think it just also seems kind of off because of how huge Pac and Nas' impact has been, you know?

All-time: Eminem, Nas, Pac, Ghostface Killah and Kanye West. JAY Z would be a honourable shoutout.

Current: Kendrick Lamar, Killer Mike...this is tough because I like Drake and Cole, but don't consider them top 5 rappers.

I think it is a little interesting you say that about Drake and J Cole, but put Kanye as a top 5 rapper all time. I guess that also just comes down to if we're making a list of top 5 rappers, or top 5 rap artists. Because to me, Kanye isn't even like a top 25 rapper, but is probably like top 3 artists.

And yet another rapper saying Eminem is the GOAT in an interview.

Yeah don't get me wrong, at one time, I preferred Big. But then I listened to the music of both even more closely, and...I can say Biggie showed more diversity, but Pac's flow just had its own thing to it.

Both were unique but it took a bit more time for Big's music to pull me in.

Yeah, I completely see where you're coming from. I personally would see why Grenade would place him there...but I think it just also seems kind of off because of how huge Pac and Nas' impact has been, you know?

Yeah I know man, the things I loved about Pac was how he did not give a *Censored* and expressed himself on how he was feeling when he wrote each song. Another thing I love is how much passion he had when he was on the mic, like you could tell when he was spittin that it came from the heart, I don't think there's any rapper that had/has that much passion that Pac did.

Yeah I get you about K.Dot, i can't argue with that I love his music too.

Grenade: Yeah, I definitely know what you mean by that...but still, I think that, to be honest, Kanye's rapping has always been a bit of an unsung hero in some of his best work (like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and The College Dropout). These two are just a few of my all-time favourite albums, and because his rapping on both LP's is as good as it is (as well as Late Reg, if we throw that in there too) -- I think he deserves even being put into an all-time top 15, for that, if not 20 at the very least.

Also, I'm still digesting more music as we speak so who knows if my opinions still stay the same? This is just based off of how much hip hop I've taken in thus far. What's impacted me the most.

Kush: I agree that, at the time of the East/West Coast rivalry, his passion sounded unparalleled on the mic. Like, I can't certainly say he had a level of passion that everybody lacked but he sounded *censored*ing hungry on every track I heard of his, growing up. It's what just gravitated me towards him, instantly, you know?

I think, in a sense, Ghostface is kind of influenced by Pac when it comes to mic presence and energy. I think that's why even GFK (apart from him being a brilliant rapper and all) draws me in easily, too.

Ahaha, yeah, I think people on here know my love of Kendrick's music - especially Good Kid, m.A.A.d city. :lol:

I meant that I think Cole is just as good a rapper as Kanye, but you put Kanye top 5 all time but can't put Cole top 5 currently. Like Kanye isn't a bad rapper (except on Yeezus), but he really isn't too mindblowing either. What makes Kanye, Kanye is his production, ability to make a coherent sounding album, and his arrogance/personality. He isn't exactly the artist I listen to when I want to hear incredible rapping.

I guess this is gonna be one of those agree-to-disagree things, to be fair.

Not that I mind going back and forth, but you'll always come to that conclusion just as I will with mine. As a rapper, Cole doesn't interest me as much and hasn't crafted rap albums as great as (or even classic in the same vein as) Kanye for me to rank or think of both on an equal level.

Since this is the Hip Hop thread, I was curious to see who you guys put in your top 5 of all time and top 5 current like this generation?

All-time: Tech N9ne, Kool Keith, GZA, MF DOOM and either Biggie or Andre

Current: El-P, Mac Miller, Skits Vicious, RA the Rugged Man, Killer Mike

Since this is the Hip Hop thread, I was curious to see who you guys put in your top 5 of all time and top 5 current like this generation?

Interesting you've got Tech N9ne there, why do you think he's one of the best of all time?

Interesting you've got Tech N9ne there, why do you think he's one of the best of all time?

Dude's consistently shitting out good albums, technically he's pretty flawless and subjectively I just really dig his sound. Diverse too, love how varried his sound is. Not a huge fan of the pseudo-juggallo schtick of his, but eh, doesn't influence his music.

Meh, DOOM is one of those artists, that I definitely know he is good, but I could never get in to his music at all. I even like his sound, like most artists with that similar sound I *Censored* with, but DOOM has just never done it for me.

Archived