Cole talks about Wrestlemania, who is in his ear, his favourite matches to call

Mr. Carlton

This helped me appreciate Cole a little bit more honestly.

For sure. I always thought when he and Tazz called Smackdown he did an awesome job on commentary. I definitely remember him calling the Brock/Eddie match too and showing a ton of emotion.

Sounds like a tough job.

Cole was better on Smackdown (and when he filled in for J.R. on Raw during the Attitude Era) for sure.

To be honest, Cole was never bad at commentating.

Prime example: Look at how he kept his emotions under control when Jerry had his heart attack and had to give updates throughout the show.

He was absolutely terrible during the Attitude Era, whenever he had to replace JR. I don't know how that example proves he was never bad at commentating.

He used to be a decent play-by-play guy on Smackdown. When guys like Rey, Angle, and Benoit would go at it, he'd even call some of the more sophisticated technical wrestling sequences properly. Now all we get is, "he's got the submission locked in!", and "oooh, what a throw!". The stories about commentators having to repeat everything that's said in the headset verbatim must be true. I doubt he bothered to learn the names of all those moves only to forget them just a few years later.

To be honest, Cole was never bad at commentating.

Prime example: Look at how he kept his emotions under control when Jerry had his heart attack and had to give updates throughout the show.

He was absolutely terrible during the Attitude Era, whenever he had to replace JR. I don't know how that example proves he was never bad at commentating.

He was alright during the AE and I was proving that he kept it professional without cracking under pressure with emotion instead of going backstage leaving someone else to do his job.

Always liked Cole. He is awful now in a way but I still like him and I don't blame him that much. He used to very good, I doubt he just "lost it" over night. He's probably my favorite full time commentator the main roster had in forever. I know most people would say JR but I've always disliked JR's voice and style. Great knowledge, but I'm not a fan. But anyways, Cole seems like a swell guy.

Cole is a guy who has really grown over time. He was terrible for some time but has grown into a pretty good commentator.

Interesting hearing he and JBL don't know what's planned. I remember reading a few years ago Jim Ross was the same way, but Jerry always wanted to know.

I heard the opposite. In Lawler's book he said he wouldn't go to production meetings so when he called matches it would feel real because he didn't know everything going on.

Archived