the little things

Crowley

What are some of the more subtle nuances you appreciate? Whose little character quirks do you like, and what small details can make wrestling more believable for you?

Here’s a few of mine.

I like how quickly Hiroshi Tanahashi hops onto the top rope. I hate when wrestlers climb the turnbuckle as slowly as possible.

I love how Austin marches down to the ring shaking his head around and talking to himself when he’s really pissed off. “He’s talkin, He’s walkin, BMF WALK!!!” - Jim Ross

Even when he’s just chilling at ringside in his rocking chair, Bray Wyatt stays in character with these creepy little nervous tics. When the momentum shifts in his favor and he’s getting ready to do his comeback, his hand starts spasming and he taps his foot erratically.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punk's egotistical, non-caring comments he made in the ring occasionally. He added a lot to his character with the little things.

Bray's entire demeanor. I seriously think he might be one of my favorites all time no matter what happens booking wise because he plays his character through every second, even when he isn't the focal point. I lost it during his Raw segment, huge mark out moment.

When Seth turned on The Shield, Dean Ambrose was talking about how he would destroy him. While he did that, he was ticking on his microphone, like showing how anxious he was to kill him. It was perfect.

I liked Ambrose's crazy expressions before they became exaggerated with the whole Lunatic Fringe thing.

Me too. I can just imagine Dean coming back through the curtain after his match and Vince says, “Not bad, but you know what could have made it even better? If you had been sticking your tongue out the whole time.”

Unfortunately his character traits aren’t subtle at all anymore. They’re starting to become really exaggerated and cartoony. WWE is afraid that their audience won’t understand that Dean is supposed to be crazy unless he makes goofy faces while commentary reminds us that he’s the “lunatic fringe”. I like that this guy who is supposed to be a totally unpredictable psycho refers to himself as a lunatic and wears a t-shirt that says “unstable” on it. Why don’t they just give Roman Reigns a t-shirt that says STRONG SILENT TYPE on it?

I liked Ambrose's crazy expressions before they became exaggerated with the whole Lunatic Fringe thing.

Me too. I can just imagine Dean coming back through the curtain after his match and Vince says, “Not bad, but you know what could have made it even better? If you had been sticking your tongue out the whole time.”

Unfortunately his character traits aren’t subtle at all anymore. They’re starting to become really exaggerated and cartoony. WWE is afraid that their audience won’t understand that Dean is supposed to be crazy unless he makes goofy faces while commentary reminds us that he’s the “lunatic fringe”. I like that this guy who is supposed to be a totally unpredictable psycho refers to himself as a lunatic and wears a t-shirt that says “unstable” on it. Why don’t they just give Roman Reigns a t-shirt that says STRONG SILENT TYPE on it?

Well...John Cena had his "The Champ is here shirt" and Brock Lesnar has the "Beast Incarnate" :hqhq:

But yeah...it feel like VKM (or whoever is responsible for that) is micromanaging everything, because they think that they cannot do any wrong.

Edge's head bob as a heel.

Christian's random interactions with the crowd as heel, he would smile or point at them as if he was a big deal which went well with his delusional persona.

CM Punk's cobra taunt while his opponent was making his entrance or being introduced. Sadly, he stopped doing it in 2011.

Always loved how Austin would get in the face of his opponent after giving him a Stunner, that trash talkin.. awesome.

Taker hissing/rolling his eyes back when he used to choke people while either in the corner, or on the ground was a neat thing.. miss that from him.

I love when superstars sing along with they're entrance music. Not like R-Truth actually performing for the crowd, but like Paige did on Raw a few weeks back.

The crowd in NXT used to sing Paige's theme before she got called up. It was perfect. ):

A bunch of small things in NXT make me happy. Mainly how the roster is self aware about things going on, Sami does his road to redemption Baley sees this and makes it her mission to do the same since character wise they are similar.

Another thing is watching Paul Heyman ringside for matches. He puts alot of emotion into what hes doing unilke the rest of the roster how kinda yell and slam there hands on the mat occasionally.

I also love how Heyman is one of the only people in the WWE who rarely get the "What?" chant. People listen to him.

Kalisto

LOL. Amazing. Lemme add Alexa Bliss to that.

But on topic and being serious: I really like how Sheamus looks so pissed off when he's going for the Brogue. Like, after a long fought match he looks legitimately battered and bruised and like he hates his opponent for giving him that much fight.

I love how Jericho yelled "ask him" every time he would do a submission or simple rest hold.

I love Tyson Kidd's "yip"

I remember I was watching some Nitro episode last year from the late 90's, and Jericho actually said "come on babay". I was surprised because I didn't know he's been using that for phrase for who knows how long. That's cool that's he's been consistent with it.

Archived