Tony Hawk skating game headed to PS4 in 2015

Astro Zombie

Tony Hawk's professional skating will return on PS4 this year, according to a brief appearance from the man himself at Sony's CES 2015 keynote. He didn't drop any further details, but it sounds like fans of the long-dormant Pro Skater franchise (and its various spin-offs) won't have to wait too much longer to start grinding lines and popping ollies.

Hawk revealed last year that he was working with Activision, the publisher behind the original series, on a new skateboarding game. He said 'fans of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series will be hyped' at the time, and they've certainly had plenty of time to simmer. The last mainstream entry in the series was Tony Hawk's Proving Ground in 2007, not counting the questionable Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD… and the less said about Tony Hawk: Ride, the better.

Just because the release year and platform were confirmed on Sony's stage doesn't mean it will be exclusive to PlayStation platforms. It may indicate some deeper collaboration between the two companies, however - Destiny (which Activision also published) had a grand presence at the PS4 debut in February 2013, and the game went on to include exclusive bonuses for PlayStation players.

As long as they don't make Bam Margera's dad a platform exclusive, I'll be happy.

www.gamesradar.com/tony-hawk-ps4-review/

Quite old news but I didn't see it posted.

I hope this is one of the better games. The last good game IMO was American Wasteland. I grew to love the Skate series but THPS was a pretty big part of my childhood. May very well check this game out.

Meh. I feel like THPS will never return to relevance. Same with the Guitar Hero and Rock Band remakes. Everything has it's time. And I think the time for all of those games has come and gone. But, I guess it depends. If they go all out with the soundtrack, bring all of the minigames back, add plenty of new (over the top) levels to skate, etc...and just make it a completely absurd and unrealistic skating game, then yeah...it might be cool. It really needs to be knocked out of the park, though. There's no room for a "decent" or "pretty good" game. It needs to be everything that people loved about the classic games, and more.

In a weird way, I think games like THPS suit the lower quality graphics from PS1 and PS2 because it goes with the nitty-gritty theme of the game to me. I can't imagine a Tony Hawk game having the same feeling to it if aesthetically it's done with graphics that are too realistic.

Pro Skater 2-Underground 2 were the best imo. I'd love them to go back to their roots and have all the features and gameplay style from that era again on the PS4 and Xbox one.

I was a huge fan of the series up until THPS4. After that, it went downhill in a hurry. THUG was decent, but everything after that was god awful. The HD remake thing a few years ago was nice, but Im itching for a new game. They tried to make it too realistic, and that's not what the series has ever really been about. (I guess the first one was more of a sim, but it was quickly turned into more of an arcade style in the second game)

I really hope they bring the use of the controller and create-a-skater. No custom skaters in HD was really disappointing. Sure playing as your Xbox avatar was kinda cool but it just didn't feel right. As for Ride and Shred... just no!

My favorites in the series:

THPS 2 & 3

Underground 1 & 2

American Wasteland

Proving Ground

• 6 months later...

Archived