General Unpopular Opinions

NostalgiaGod

I'm glad urinals exists. I can't pee in public. I know nobody is gonna watch me or whatever but I just can't pee, unless I'm literally about to piss my pants. So I'm always glad about urinals, cause it means there's always free stalls :lol:

Lol same tbh, I don't use them either, I was gonna say "I wouldn't care if they're gone" but the "stalls always free" is a very good point. +1.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this gender identity and catering to sensibilities crap that's been going on these last couple of years (or at least that's when I started seeing it blow up) is *censored*ing stupid and needs to die.

Maybe it's because I've been spending way too damn much time neogaf, but all this progressive stuff is annoying and I really don't see why appealing to straight white males is a bad thing.

Probably better in gaming, but I really don't have a problem with Gamestop. Aside from people occasionally trying to sell me on stuff which gets annoying, no one's ever given me any issues.

A lot of people see trying to appeal to straight white males as dubious because they have advantages that others don't. I mean, there are actually people who think diversity means white genocide for some reason.

All this gender identity and catering to sensibilities crap that's been going on these last couple of years (or at least that's when I started seeing it blow up) is *censored*ing stupid and needs to die.

Maybe it's because I've been spending way too damn much time neogaf, but all this progressive stuff is annoying and I really don't see why appealing to straight white males is a bad thing.

I think there's a sane middle ground that isn't vocal enough. I'm very liberal as far as social issues, but yeah when I see white people post shit like "I hate white people" I cringe a little. It's so pathetic to me.

I think there's a sane middle ground that isn't vocal enough. I'm very liberal as far as social issues, but yeah when I see white people post shit like "I hate white people" I cringe a little. It's so pathetic to me.
I don't really care to interact with people and like I said, I spend way too much time in neogaf. About half of them have some real deep seated and irrational hatred for anything even remotely sexual. And anime.

Also, whitewashing is evil, but it's perfectly okay to make characters female, gay, black, etc. SJWs are also a myth.

The reverse side is equally stupid and annoying though what with all their "*censored*SJWs" talk and crying censorship at the most insignificant changes to stuff.

Yeah. Whitewashing and cultural appropriation are two of the dumbest terms around these days.

There were even yoga classes cancelled in Montreal over the latter term. Canceled. Because white people aren't allowed to do yoga. LOL.

I have no issues with diverse characters. Even if it's household names who make the change (Spider-Man black, Green Lantern gay) but I do have a problem with people complaining that a white guy is good at Kung Fu. Like *Censored* off...

I think whitewashing is an issue, kind of minor and not insanely important. I think the anger is misguided. A lot of the time it gets shifted onto the people making the movie and the actor. That's all studio stuff. In this day and age you can't make a commercial movie without a big star in it. Major stars that aren't white aren't as common so it's an endless cycle. It'd be nice to have some more prominent Asian actors in Hollywood. I don't know how proportionate working actors' races are in Hollywood to American population's race demographics as a whole. I think in the end the race of the character doesn't matter either way. I find myself relating to characters that don't look like me all the time. That goes for gender and race.

But a lot of adaptations as far as anime goes get a lot of shit if anybody white gets cast. Assuming that Japanese people never draw white people. Attack on Titan characters other than Mikasa have German names and Aryan features.

I think whitewashing is an issue, kind of minor and not insanely important. I think the anger is misguided. A lot of the time it gets shifted onto the people making the movie and the actor. That's all studio stuff. In this day and age you can't make a commercial movie without a big star in it. Major stars that aren't white aren't as common so it's an endless cycle. It'd be nice to have some more prominent Asian actors in Hollywood. I don't know how proportionate working actors' races are in Hollywood to American population's race demographics as a whole. I think in the end the race of the character doesn't matter either way. I find myself relating to characters that don't look like me all the time. That goes for gender and race.

But a lot of adaptations as far as anime goes get a lot of shit if anybody white gets cast. Assuming that Japanese people never draw white people. Attack on Titan characters other than Mikasa have German names and Aryan features.

Funnily enough...The main complaint about that movie was, having Japanese people playing all the people, despite a plot point in the manga being that Mikasa is the last Japanese descendant.

Probably better in gaming, but I really don't have a problem with Gamestop. Aside from people occasionally trying to sell me on stuff which gets annoying, no one's ever given me any issues.

that's probably because you're a socially inept, privileged weaboo

Funnily enough...The main complaint about that movie was, having Japanese people playing all the people, despite a plot point in the manga being that Mikasa is the last Japanese descendant.

Which is a dumb complaint to me. The movie was made in Japan. There's not a ton of white people there as it is, let alone actors who speak fluent Japanese. Similar to the Death Note remake. Like they're setting that in Seattle and people are mad they cast a white guy to play the lead. I never watched Death Note and I don't know if the main character's race is a large part of who he is, but if it really isn't then I don't see a problem. It's taking place in America, there's no reason the lead would HAVE to be any particular race.

I think it depends on the context a lot? Like, the Ghost in the Shell thingy is pretty dumb IMO (the complaining, that is) 'cause she's an android and she looks very much caucasian to begin with. She can literally be anything she wants to be, design-wise, so why not white? For Light/Death Note, I think it's a legitimate gripe. Light Yagami is Japanese. If they take the liberty to relocate the story as a whole, why not just create a new Light? A new person that pays homage to Light. I dunno. It's like, yes, a robot can be white or whatever, it doesn't matter, but a Japanese person shouldn't be white all of the sudden.

It's kind of important in representation. I've read different stories about how having a strong black character was a role model, or how having an ass-kicking woman made girls feel strong and made it more equal. Whitewashing to people of color seem like they're saying "white people are the best, minorities aren't bankable or worthy of leading movies/shows/etc!" While you can argue that nonwhite major stars aren't as common, one can counter that it's the industry's fault for not making more nonwhites prominent. Like, many brown people like Kal Penn are typecast as terrorists. I think Riz Ahmad in Jason Bourne is one of the few examples of not really being typecast as a terrorist.

In Attack on Titan it's and important plot point, aswell as in Death Note. Infact in many distopian Anime/Manga that's an important plot point, so I totally understand the complaints.

It didn't seem like a huge plot point in Attack on Titan. I watched the anime series twice and I didn't even know it was even a thing.

In Attack on Titan it's and important plot point, aswell as in Death Note. Infact in many distopian Anime/Manga that's an important plot point, so I totally understand the complaints.

It didn't seem like a huge plot point in Attack on Titan. I watched the anime series twice and I didn't even know it was even a thing.

It is important, because of the history of AoT and the whole situation in the manga. I won't get into detail here, but if Season 3 ever becomes a thing, you will know

As far anime is concerned, I really don't care all that much. A large portion of anime characters are really only Japanese in that they were created by a Japanese person. Goku and Vegeta are alien monkey men. Nardo is from some random ninja village and looks more American than Japanese. Hell, even among the characters that are canonically Japanese, a large portion don't look even remotely similar to Japanese people. They look more American or European(ojou-samas).

I'm on the side of don't randomly change characters, if they're Japanese, they're Japanese. If they're German, they German and if they're Black, they're Black. Stick to the original material and if you want to change it, make your own and say it's inspired by the original or whatever. I don't like the shit they're changing for the irl Death Note.

It's the same even in the original... for example, a show I've watched had two English characters but they had Japanese actresses play them. Surely couldn't have been too hard to hire two English actresses. They had the Japanese actresses learn English to do the roles... so just have the English learn Japanese.

I think it depends on the context a lot? Like, the Ghost in the Shell thingy is pretty dumb IMO (the complaining, that is) 'cause she's an android and she looks very much caucasian to begin with. She can literally be anything she wants to be, design-wise, so why not white? For Light/Death Note, I think it's a legitimate gripe. Light Yagami is Japanese. If they take the liberty to relocate the story as a whole, why not just create a new Light? A new person that pays homage to Light. I dunno. It's like, yes, a robot can be white or whatever, it doesn't matter, but a Japanese person shouldn't be white all of the sudden.

But then should I have an issue with Iris West being black? Or Green Lantern being gay? Hell, I wouldn't care if James Bond was black, gay, or Japanese.

I don't because they're adaptions. Similar story...based off material...but an adaption.

Archived