General Unpopular Opinions

NostalgiaGod

Maybe I'm just very, very simple but this is the most thought-provoking post I've ever read on here, maybe on any forum ever.

Jesus.

Glad I could be of service. :P

Seems like the majority of the people here share similar opinions. That's not a bad thing, it's good to know. I'll keep that in mind before speaking out.

For what reason would you keep that in mind? I'd say the majority of people on this forum are indeed of similar opinions when it comes to homosexuality, but it's not like that's relevant to whether or not we're open to the idea of being wrong.

By all means, continue to discuss it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys think sexual orientation is shaped by experiences and encounters, rather than choices (for instance) or maybe it being innate, like some often say?

I think it can be. Or at least, these experiences and encounters can help one realize what their true sexual orientation is. I read about a boy being sexually confused after being sexually assaulted by two or three of his classmates (not sure if older and/or mainly boys or mix).

So you're implying that maybe some heterosexual people may even need, or should have, an experience or encounter challenging their orientation so they can find out where their true attractions, and beliefs, lie?

Yeah, I remember my relative telling me that there was this person who had (what sounded like) a pretty brutal sexual encounter, that forever changed his sexual orientation. It left him feeling confused and frustrated, too, seeing as it was done against his will etc.

Nope, I'm just saying that it is possible for experiences and encounters to make one realize what his or her sexual orientation is. A boy getting sexually abused by males or even females sticking things up his buttocks could sexually confuse him and gear him towards homosexuality, or a woman who tries straight sex for the first time and isn't repulsed by it might become bisexual or heterosexual. Someone I know shared how he forcefully kissed a homophobic person, and few weeks later that person was gay, and how he was probably homophobic because he was still in the denial closet.

similar opinions as in open minded and accepting, actually. Because equality is always a good thing, and bigotry sucks.

Whoa there, don't be getting a big head. Just because I'm not with you 100% doesn't make me a bigot. :) Or maybe that's not what you mean?

You seem to lack comprehension/understanding. Guess what would make you or someone else a bigot, and hint, it has nothing to do with agreeing with me.

People need to stop comparing two different events that aren't even similar, because it's annoying as *Censored*. Whenever a black guy is killed by the police and there are protests, I see at least one picture on FB asking why no one is protesting a white teen killed by two black men or a girl killed by two black boys. People like them are dumb as *Censored* and ignorant, seriously, and it pisses me off. And I mainly see Republicans/conservatives sharing these pictures.

(pretend the following words are in caps and yelling)

Why would you compare a cop killing a black person unnecessarily and not getting charged to two black men or two black kids getting arrested and charged guilty? The cop is in position of power while those black people are just ordinary citizens who got caught and punished.

Or, why would you compare soldiers who signed up knowing they would get injured to transgenders who are at risk of injury or death solely BECAUSE of close minded asshats?

People need to stop comparing two different events that aren't even similar, because it's annoying as *Censored*. Whenever a black guy is killed by the police and there are protests, I see at least one picture on FB asking why no one is protesting a white teen killed by two black men or a girl killed by two black boys. People like them are dumb as *Censored* and ignorant, seriously, and it pisses me off. And I mainly see Republicans/conservatives sharing these pictures.

(pretend the following words are in caps and yelling)

Why would you compare a cop killing a black person unnecessarily and not getting charged to two black men or two black kids getting arrested and charged guilty? The cop is in position of power while those black people are just ordinary citizens who got caught and punished.

Or, why would you compare soldiers who signed up knowing they would get injured to transgenders who are at risk of injury or death solely BECAUSE of close minded asshats?

• 1 month later...

Complaining about political correctness (while sometimes necessary and justified) and societal sensitivity has become a cop out for discriminating idiots nowadays. Not every single time, but generally. Kinda like "I'm not racist but" followed by racism. I mean, I'm not complaining, makes it easy to weed out the idiots on the regular, but still. Kinda sucks, 'cause speaking up on genuine problems with too much correctness will probably get viewed in a similar light eventually. Probably gonna lead to the same issues as feminism and feminazis, who completely sullied the perception of a good cause.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 90s, I never thought I'd see the day when more people had cell phones than computers. In fact, I thought (and hoped) internet-connected desktop PCs would become as ubiquitous as electricity, and cell phones would be relegated to businessman types.

Perhaps this is why I still hold such [an irrational?] grudge against those little rectangles that people call phones.

• 2 weeks later...

Complaining about political correctness (while sometimes necessary and justified) and societal sensitivity has become a cop out for discriminating idiots nowadays. Not every single time, but generally. Kinda like "I'm not racist but" followed by racism. I mean, I'm not complaining, makes it easy to weed out the idiots on the regular, but still. Kinda sucks, 'cause speaking up on genuine problems with too much correctness will probably get viewed in a similar light eventually. Probably gonna lead to the same issues as feminism and feminazis, who completely sullied the perception of a good cause.

People complain about political correctness because it eventually makes problems like all the things you see happening in US schools, like schools banning tag, getting kids in trouble for playing 'cops and robbers' etc, not because some guy wants to be able to call people racist names without repercussion.

• 1 month later...

I think you have to be a real dumbass to lose your cellphone. I know a girl who has lost her phone probably 30 times since I've known her. That's not even an exaggeration. Sometimes she finds it again, sometimes she just gets a new one. But I just saw her post on Facebook that she lost it again. I've personally only owned three cellphones my entire life, and I've never lost any of them. I mean...I've fallen asleep with it...lost it for a day or so, because it fell under my bed or something...but I've never legitimately lost one. There should be some sort of clause about phone ownership where you aren't allowed to own one after you've lost it ten times or something. If you're that stupid, then nobody needs to hear anything you have to say.

Archived